JCPenney "Make it Count"

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

JCPenney "Make it Count"

Post by SamSpade »

This appears to be the fall media campaign between the back to school (and maybe into?) the holiday shopping period.

It's interesting to see JCPenney back to using their 'nostalgic' clean Helvetica, looking like their old catalogs, etc. No more Levi's like red background and white lettering.

Interesting...

The short version of the TV ad didn't say much. Here's the :60

Here's the website version:
JCPenney, Make It Count

Isn't this a former tag line for the company as well?
Last edited by SamSpade on October 25th, 2023, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super S

Re: JCPenney "Make it Count"

Post by Super S »

It appears that they have removed the previous logo from their website as well. This is the second time that they have returned to the classic 1971 logo. Not sure if any stores were re-signed to the last logo, perhaps they noted what Rite Aid did, going all in on replacing signs, and the fact Rite Aid is now in bankruptcy. JCPenney's 1971 logo has actually aged very well and still looks reasonably modern 50+ years later.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Let's hope they keep the 1971 logo. It is iconic, not to mention a simple, classic font.

The only store I've seen without the classic logo is one that opened when they called themselves "jcp."

The website is certainly lively and inviting. Maybe they can make the stores look the same.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

That would be special to me if this works 😍

My Mom was the Men's Wear buyer for them during that time.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

rwsandiego wrote: October 16th, 2023, 7:31 pm The only store I've seen without the classic logo is one that opened when they called themselves "jcp."

The website is certainly lively and inviting. Maybe they can make the stores look the same.
I think the only other store I know if that doesn't have the typical lettering is the concept they opened in North East Mall in Hurst, Texas where it was signed "Penney's" under the former JoAnn CEO's tenure.

The website looks better than it has in years. You can finally 'shop the look,' which is exactly what I wanted to do during the 2011 Johnson monthly look book era but could not.

Now they just need to work on shipping timeline improvements. My aunt is ordering all the toddler clothes from "Amazing-zon" due to the 2 day delivery and ease of shopping. Last time I bought something from JCP.com it was not a very enjoyable experience.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

wow--that is an improvement in the website.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

This is just common sense. 99% of the buildings have this logo anyway, and advertising with something different just meant they were promoting a brand that didn't exist in the eye of the customer... Or worse, a brand that their local store wasn't good enough to receive yet. As we all know changing the logo doesn't change the company... In this unusual case they're changing the logo back to who they were already which is a smart way to save money for a company that has a purpose of trying to help families save money with modestly priced clothing and goods. I call this one a big win, one that took very little effort besides getting over their own ego.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

Super S wrote: October 16th, 2023, 6:08 pm JCPenney's 1971 logo has actually aged very well and still looks reasonably modern 50+ years later.
One of the great legacies of the Helvetica font
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

JCP has recently been doing some local sponsorships of events out here in the Coachella Valley--fashion shows etc. specifically for scholarship-type programs which are appropriately on-brand for them ...tbh it's nice to see, and seemingly locally done (specifically touting JCP at Palm Desert Shops).
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Romr123 wrote: October 26th, 2023, 8:37 am JCP has recently been doing some local sponsorships of events out here in the Coachella Valley--fashion shows etc. specifically for scholarship-type programs which are appropriately on-brand for them ...tbh it's nice to see, and seemingly locally done (specifically touting JCP at Palm Desert Shops).
I have a friend that's helping them with that.

8-)