VONS at Durango and Desert Inn in Las Vegas closing

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

VONS at Durango and Desert Inn in Las Vegas closing

Post by SamSpade »

Early November closure, “operational efficiencies” stated as the reason.
storewanderer

Re: VONS at Durango and Desert Inn in Las Vegas closing

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: October 24th, 2023, 9:48 pm Early November closure, “operational efficiencies” stated as the reason.
Oh... initially I had the wrong store.

This is an unfortunate closure. It has the pre Lifestyle interior and was in fantastic condition.

About the last upgrade it got was a Wing Bar many years ago and I'm not surprised it is closing. It didn't get self checkout.

Cannot believe the Twain Vons stays open.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

SamSpade wrote: October 24th, 2023, 9:48 pm Early November closure, “operational efficiencies” stated as the reason.
Looking at the map it seems that this store is about a mile north of an Albertsons (with a Colorful Lifestyle interior) and about 2 miles away from another Albertsons (with the LLC decor). Albertsons / Safeway have been slowly closing these "overlapping" stores post merger and I doubt this has much to do with the Kroger merger.

This store is also a mile south of a Smith's (which is a mile east of that LLC decor Albertsons). Were the merger to happen I doubt they would want anyone else to operate a store there. My guess is this becomes an EOS Fitness (as they seem to have a deal to occupy a number of closed Albertsons / Safeway locations).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This probably should have been divested in the Haggen deal but for whatever reason it wasn't. This store had quite a bit of foot traffic but very low transaction dollar amounts.

It is a mint condition pre-lifestyle interior store. Open ceilings. Spacious departments. A really nice store.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

The couple cited in this report drive 8 miles to shop at this location specifically.

I looked at a Google Map. I was in this store earlier this year. Other than no remodeling, it was clean, had what we needed, and it's kind of sad to see it close but with these nearby stores, seems to make sense.
8 News Now: VONS to close in West Valley
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: October 25th, 2023, 11:11 pm It is a mint condition pre-lifestyle interior store. Open ceilings. Spacious departments. A really nice store.
There was a clone of this store in the Denver exurbs that you have pictures of (I think Castle Pines)?
Sad that another early-2000s museum piece is going away…
If you go to Irvine, CA, there is still an Albertsons museum piece with the Jewel interior. Sand Canyon exit off the 405.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: October 27th, 2023, 11:56 pm
storewanderer wrote: October 25th, 2023, 11:11 pm It is a mint condition pre-lifestyle interior store. Open ceilings. Spacious departments. A really nice store.
There was a clone of this store in the Denver exurbs that you have pictures of (I think Castle Pines)?
If you go to Irvine, CA, there is still an Albertsons museum piece with the Jewel interior. Sand Canyon exit off the 405.
Castle Pines and also in Aurora there was one of these too. Both closed. Neither received lifestyle remodels. Castle Pines reopened to administer COVID Vaccines but the store itself did not reopen.

There are still some Jewel interiors floating around. Even back at Jewel (but they're hard to find). East Moline is still in Jewel interior. Complete with a Jewel Express.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: October 27th, 2023, 11:56 pm
Murrieta is a clone of this, but with zero maintenance. They painted all the walls primer white and all the graphics are so faded they look like a sepia filter. The letters on the Vons sign are all different colors and still have the outdated Food Drug letters below too. It is across the street from a modern new Albertsons similar to the new North Las Vegas store that got Pavilions interior, except that it has Colorful Lifestyle. They somehow got away with keeping both stores during the merger because they're in different zip codes even though you can throw a rock from the Vons gas station and hit the Albertsons.

Another clone is Atlantic Ave Bixby Knolls in Long Beach which is a massively oversized former Home Depot. It's also in rough shape and I believe the only reason it hasn't closed is they have a redevelopment lease from a couple decades ago so they pay little or no rent.

Now that the infamous Haster Vons in Garden Grove near Disneyland got a real remodel to colorful lifestyle (that was the store with cardboard posters for signage) Murrieta has my vote for worst Vons in SoCal.

In Vegas I think they're gradually phasing out the Vons brand.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

ClownLoach wrote: October 29th, 2023, 5:41 pm Now that the infamous Haster Vons in Garden Grove near Disneyland got a real remodel to colorful lifestyle (that was the store with cardboard posters for signage)
That's the closest Vons or Albertsons to me, and the reason I've defaulted to Ralphs at Chapman & Euclid for the past 11 years of living here... The store has generally been well stocked and clean; but the main detractor is the very small size of the store, which limits its selection severely for a grocery store serving this area. Since there's no significance to note of this store historically, they could probably do well to build a new, larger store nearby. Harbor Blvd between Chapman and Lampson has a large parcel (in green) that could fit the bill. The parcel size is honestly not much different than the current one (in red), but without the added baggage of the rest of the strip mall, they could have a grocery store with a larger footprint.
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 8.17.36 am.png
Alternately, they could look at parcels currently available near Angel stadium, (although that itself could be a political minefield thanks to that asshat Moreno) which offer opportunities for a larger store and would be walking distance to the myriad of new apartments in the Platinum Triangle area (though at a disadvantage to the communities served by the current location on the other side of the 5 freeway).
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 8.23.40 am.jpg
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

submariner wrote: October 31st, 2023, 8:12 am
ClownLoach wrote: October 29th, 2023, 5:41 pm Now that the infamous Haster Vons in Garden Grove near Disneyland got a real remodel to colorful lifestyle (that was the store with cardboard posters for signage)
That's the closest Vons or Albertsons to me, and the reason I've defaulted to Ralphs at Chapman & Euclid for the past 11 years of living here... The store has generally been well stocked and clean; but the main detractor is the very small size of the store, which limits its selection severely for a grocery store serving this area. Since there's no significance to note of this store historically, they could probably do well to build a new, larger store nearby. Harbor Blvd between Chapman and Lampson has a large parcel (in green) that could fit the bill. The parcel size is honestly not much different than the current one (in red), but without the added baggage of the rest of the strip mall, they could have a grocery store with a larger footprint.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 8.17.36 am.png

Alternately, they could look at parcels currently available near Angel stadium, (although that itself could be a political minefield thanks to that asshat Moreno) which offer opportunities for a larger store and would be walking distance to the myriad of new apartments in the Platinum Triangle area (though at a disadvantage to the communities served by the current location on the other side of the 5 freeway).

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 8.23.40 am.jpg
That property on Harbor was intended for hotel development. If I recall correctly the city used Eminent Domain to acquire it. They were going to acquire the Target and demolish it as well before coming to their senses. The reason that Target sat so long without a proper remodel until a few years ago was because it was in limbo. Platinum Triangle was supposed to get a grocery store, but the fact is it was supposed to get a lot of other features and be completely built to now when it's still decades away from completion.

What needs to happen is the same thing Ralphs did at Chapman and Euclid, they need to acquire a bunch of the in line suites and then knock them down to expand the Vons store. To the immediate left of the Ralphs used to be a laundromat, bar, and pizza parlor when I grew up there. Ralphs took all of that over and expanded, while Walgreens took over the Dial Drug pharmacy and everything to the right of it for their store. Easiest way to handle those situations with old oddball sites like they is usually expansion within the site.