🛒 Kroger-Albertsons Merger: Northwest, Rockies, & Alaska Impact

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: 🛒 Kroger-Albertsons Merger: Northwest, Rockies, & Alaska Impact

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 17th, 2024, 12:51 am
ClownLoach wrote: January 16th, 2024, 9:17 am

Moving stores from $500K to $1M a week type consolidation is the Kroger specialty as we saw with the mass culling of Ralphs stores in SoCal. They obviously don't care about the pain it causes. Remember that they're going to be more focused on sales per square foot metrics as well as bottom line profit, both of which are what drove them to consolidate here. Even if they didn't recapture all of the sales, the massive cash influx from the sale of some of these oversized and underutilized Fred Meyer properties would likely measure out to three or four decades of profit for that store all delivered at once.

I'm also not convinced that all of these Fred Meyer stores do the kinds of volumes everyone here seems to think they do. There are too many, too close together in the urban areas. I highly doubt they're each doing $1.5M a week, nor would they need to do anything close to that since they are owned real estate. Last time I was in Seattle I went to one that was North of Downtown (could have been on Aurora? Really don't remember) in an aged looking building. It spanned at least two city blocks, and had a basement along with a Home Depot sized garden center. It was dead, literally only self checkout open in the morning. Very unproductive site that could easily be sold and redeveloped as that area didn't need a superstore like FM, they just need a solid grocery store and pharmacy. These are also areas with substantial delivery business which once again means they could get away with less real estate in the area.

I would not be surprised if Kroger could sell off three or four of these owned sites in both the Portland market and Seattle market for redevelopment and net a billion dollars cash - and probably could get at least a modern Safeway size store into the replacement developments similar to the Queen Anne project.

I do not believe they would do anything with suburb market stores as they mostly seem to be the more productive Fred Meyer locations. They also would not be very valuable. I do not believe the rural stores are as productive either, but when I think of locations like Tillamook I am sure they do a more decent business in general merchandise, clothing etc. since it's such a long haul to buy these items elsewhere.

As far as the endless apartment thing goes, it's going to still be running in the PNW long after California comes crashing to a halt. The PNW has its problems like California, but the tax benefits of living in Washington state especially are still a motivator for people to move there.
I caution the idea of heavily cutting stores off for the value of their real estate. It is one thing to do it with a few stores but usually when executives see how much short term gain they can get from doing that, it ends up being a lot more than a few stores. Fortunately nobody has had the bright idea to mess up Fred Meyer by doing that, yet.
The concern I have is the massive overpay Kroger is making in this entire Albertsons merger deal, if it were to actually happen.

They are paying a lot for these stores and the indebtedness they're going to be operating under is going to put pressures on them especially in the first 5 years where the integration expenses will outweigh any savings from synergies.

This is why I have been suspicious from the beginning that one of the main reasons for this deal is real estate, which is a topic that retailers with high numbers of owned stores are constantly being pressured over by the Wall Street vultures. All of these owned stores are worth more as buildings rather than businesses in the most heavily populated areas, and it's well known that it any of these sites were put on the market they would receive a dozen or more 9 figure bids within 24 hours from giant developers.

The reality of the situation is that although Kroger and Albertsons both have done some leaseback transactions those most likely are less valuable sites in the suburbs or even more rural areas. The buyers of those sites don't have ambitions of making massive developments, they're just looking for decades of steady income from the rent.

The owned real estate in more urban and populated areas with "housing shortages" is where things get complicated. Leasebacks aren't options as the payout would be high but the rents would assuredly exceed profits. Buyers are interested in paying top dollar to make top dollars by putting up condo towers or apartments because that's where the money is right now. They have little interest in reserving room for retail uses which will rent for a few dollars per square foot, when the same space could be restaurants or residential that pay hundreds of dollars a square foot.

And the shareholders who started all of this crap by demanding "strategic alternatives to unlock shareholder value" are what causes these types of deals to be made. When they know that there are sites that they can easily sell for at least a hundred million dollars, it isn't difficult to see that one time profit is the equivalent of the last 40 to 50 years of bottom line profit for that store. That's why you see Safeway slowly selling off these San Francisco sites, surely they're trying to stay as part of new developments as we've seen but it doesn't always work out and sometimes they choose to just cash out that store. When the pressure of a bad sales quarter or year starts to build and the company (who has been stuck buying back their own shares) realizes the impact it will have, suddenly they have to play these cards. And I just think that the pressures they're going to face in the next 5 years from this merger, if it actually goes through, will force them to play these cards again and again to hedge the stock price.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Moving stores from $500K to $1M a week type consolidation is the Kroger specialty as we saw with the mass culling of Ralphs stores in SoCal. They obviously don't care about the pain it causes. Remember that they're going to be more focused on sales per square foot metrics as well as bottom line profit, both of which are what drove them to consolidate here. Even if they didn't recapture all of the sales, the massive cash influx from the sale of some of these oversized and underutilized Fred Meyer properties would likely measure out to three or four decades of profit for that store all delivered at once.

I'm also not convinced that all of these Fred Meyer stores do the kinds of volumes everyone here seems to think they do. There are too many, too close together in the urban areas. I highly doubt they're each doing $1.5M a week, nor would they need to do anything close to that since they are owned real estate. Last time I was in Seattle I went to one that was North of Downtown (could have been on Aurora? Really don't remember) in an aged looking building. It spanned at least two city blocks, and had a basement along with a Home Depot sized garden center. It was dead, literally only self checkout open in the morning. Very unproductive site that could easily be sold and redeveloped as that area didn't need a superstore like FM, they just need a solid grocery store and pharmacy. These are also areas with substantial delivery business which once again means they could get away with less real estate in the area.

I would not be surprised if Kroger could sell off three or four of these owned sites in both the Portland market and Seattle market for redevelopment and net a billion dollars cash - and probably could get at least a modern Safeway size store into the replacement developments similar to the Queen Anne project.

I do not believe they would do anything with suburb market stores as they mostly seem to be the more productive Fred Meyer locations. They also would not be very valuable. I do not believe the rural stores are as productive either, but when I think of locations like Tillamook I am sure they do a more decent business in general merchandise, clothing etc. since it's such a long haul to buy these items elsewhere.

As far as the endless apartment thing goes, it's going to still be running in the PNW long after California comes crashing to a halt. The PNW has its problems like California, but the tax benefits of living in Washington state especially are still a motivator for people to move there.
The Fred Meyer you are thinking of may be the Shoreline Store. I think that store has decent traffic and likely hits $1 million a week which for a store of that size isn't really great and they could cut the thing in half and probably not even lose $100k of the volume. That is a strange Fred Meyer because it is very long and not very deep. The garden center is a fairly typical size.

Further south in Seattle itself there is one of the newest Fred Meyer units and it takes up an entire city block, has a basement/underground and surface level parking and also has a very large garden center. This site previously had a Thriftway and a general merchandise only Fred Meyer and it took many years for the redevelopment to occur to get a full size Fred Meyer onto the parcel.

I caution the idea of heavily cutting stores off for the value of their real estate. It is one thing to do it with a few stores but usually when executives see how much short term gain they can get from doing that, it ends up being a lot more than a few stores. Fortunately nobody has had the bright idea to mess up Fred Meyer by doing that, yet.
Another issue is that I don't think Kroger owns as many of the Fred Meyer sites as some think. I admit I can't find a list but back in the 90s, they sold many of their stores when they needed to raise cash. If someone has a list, please post it but I just don't think the Fred Meyer division has as much owned real estate as they think.

But I will agree that many of these sites are prime redevelopment opportunities. But I just don't that's what is behind this merger.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

babs wrote: January 17th, 2024, 12:54 pm

The Fred Meyer you are thinking of may be the Shoreline Store. I think that store has decent traffic and likely hits $1 million a week which for a store of that size isn't really great and they could cut the thing in half and probably not even lose $100k of the volume. That is a strange Fred Meyer because it is very long and not very deep. The garden center is a fairly typical size.

Further south in Seattle itself there is one of the newest Fred Meyer units and it takes up an entire city block, has a basement/underground and surface level parking and also has a very large garden center. This site previously had a Thriftway and a general merchandise only Fred Meyer and it took many years for the redevelopment to occur to get a full size Fred Meyer onto the parcel.

Another issue is that I don't think Kroger owns as many of the Fred Meyer sites as some think. I admit I can't find a list but back in the 90s, they sold many of their stores when they needed to raise cash. If someone has a list, please post it but I just don't think the Fred Meyer division has as much owned real estate as they think.

But I will agree that many of these sites are prime redevelopment opportunities. But I just don't that's what is behind this merger.
The merger is about money. Period.

But assets can be monetized, and that includes warehouses, offices, store facilities owned and leased, and so forth.

Don't think for one second that Real Estate strategies aren't part of that conversation, as they're some of the largest and most valuable assets the company has that can be monetized.

So of course they are going to consider taking different paths from the past, and the fact that they would have a strangle-hold over most of the PNW if merged would open the doors further for a new and different consolidation strategy. Look at how the merger was handled in the first decade of Ralphs-Fred Meyer-Kroger... Ralphs wound up being aggressively consolidated once Kroger got involved and started to close Ralphs or former Alpha-Beta, Boys, and Hughes sites until they wound up with a smaller store count than before any of those other chains were merged in. That was an example of a merger that didn't go extremely well, especially after the crippling strike, and as such they overreacted and liquidated assets (stores) to help compensate for reduced earnings.

Who knows what the future holds? The merger could be a huge hit and the economy could suddenly start booming, and they would have zero incentive to do anything other than make sure the shelves are full and the registers open to take the money. But if they run into problems such as costly IT integration problems (very likely) then they will be incentivized to quickly sell some assets for convenient one time cash returns that boost earnings and help cover up the mess they're making.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

ClownLoach wrote: January 17th, 2024, 6:33 pm

The merger is about money. Period.

But assets can be monetized, and that includes warehouses, offices, store facilities owned and leased, and so forth.

Don't think for one second that Real Estate strategies aren't part of that conversation, as they're some of the largest and most valuable assets the company has that can be monetized.

So of course they are going to consider taking different paths from the past, and the fact that they would have a strangle-hold over most of the PNW if merged would open the doors further for a new and different consolidation strategy. Look at how the merger was handled in the first decade of Ralphs-Fred Meyer-Kroger... Ralphs wound up being aggressively consolidated once Kroger got involved and started to close Ralphs or former Alpha-Beta, Boys, and Hughes sites until they wound up with a smaller store count than before any of those other chains were merged in. That was an example of a merger that didn't go extremely well, especially after the crippling strike, and as such they overreacted and liquidated assets (stores) to help compensate for reduced earnings.

Who knows what the future holds? The merger could be a huge hit and the economy could suddenly start booming, and they would have zero incentive to do anything other than make sure the shelves are full and the registers open to take the money. But if they run into problems such as costly IT integration problems (very likely) then they will be incentivized to quickly sell some assets for convenient one time cash returns that boost earnings and help cover up the mess they're making.
There's already discussions of Fred Meyer selling it's HQ to the Portland school district as a replacement campus for Cleveland high school that sits about a block away on a much smaller site. Very little of the Fred Meyer HQ is being used today.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: January 17th, 2024, 8:35 pm

There's already discussions of Fred Meyer selling it's HQ to the Portland school district as a replacement campus for Cleveland high school that sits about a block away on a much smaller site. Very little of the Fred Meyer HQ is being used today.
Do they still have a lot of non food buyers there or have they even moved most of that back to Ohio?

It makes sense they could downsize that facility.

I think Kroger is one of the companies mandating corporate employees within 50 miles of the office to "return to the office" soon. But they've been allowed to work remotely since 2020.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: January 18th, 2024, 1:01 am
babs wrote: January 17th, 2024, 8:35 pm

Do they still have a lot of non food buyers there or have they even moved most of that back to Ohio?

It makes sense they could downsize that facility.

I think Kroger is one of the companies mandating corporate employees within 50 miles of the office to "return to the office" soon. But they've been allowed to work remotely since 2020.
As far as I know, the non-food buyers are still in Portland but the HQ complex is massive. From what I understand, much of the complex is vacant. Probably just need a small office building and with so much vacant office space in the city, now is the time to grab a new building in the cheap.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

I know for a fact that the Coos Bay store is one that Kroger owns through Ralph’s.

Smith’s owns all of their locations in Northern Nevada, either as Smith’s, or through Dillon’s. Another interesting aside is that the Safeway off Steamboat Parkway is technically owned as Vons.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: January 18th, 2024, 7:44 pm
I know for a fact that the Coos Bay store is one that Kroger owns through Ralph’s.

Smith’s owns all of their locations in Northern Nevada, either as Smith’s, or through Dillon’s. Another interesting aside is that the Safeway off Steamboat Parkway is technically owned as Vons.
The Dillon ownership was of Quik Stop sites. The only Dillon site left is the fuel station at the South Meadows Smiths. This is a Dillon site because it was originally intended to be a Quik Stop, but Quik Stop never built on the site. Eventually Smiths added its fuel station. Smiths owns every bit of real estate in the market, even that detached fuel lot down the block from the store in Sparks.

Safeway owns the building on Steamboat and also owns the gas station at Mae Anne Avenue (but doesn't own the actual large grocery store building). Sparks (store and fuel), Kings Beach, Tahoe City, Zephyr Cove are all leased sites. Not sure about South Lake Tahoe or Truckee.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

UFCW 555 has endorsed yes that is endorsed the merger...

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/202 ... tsons.html
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: February 19th, 2024, 10:09 pm UFCW 555 has endorsed yes that is endorsed the merger...

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/202 ... tsons.html
Link without paywall: https://archive.is/20240220021601/https ... tsons.html
I’d bet the talking heads in Cincinnati are salivating over this news…

A rep from this union says: “You can’t assume things will stay the same by opposing the merger, Cerberus intends to sell Albertsons stores to someone. If it’s not going to be Kroger, it’s going to be sold to someone else.”
Won’t Apollo be taking Albertsons off the hands of the three-headed dog assuming the merger is ground to a halt?
If Albertsons is selling stores, it will be their weak Denver, Texas, East Coast assets. Nothing in the West Coast, Intermountain, Southwest, Chicago regions is going away assuming the merger is stopped.

Another rep from this union said, “Workers in the sold-off stores would be better off under C&S than other potential buyers. We were pleased to find not only that they understood and liked the grocery business, but also recognized the importance of quality employees to their ongoing success.”
C&S is a wholesaler, not a retailer. At best, C&S will be a repeat of the Fleming Corporate Retail disaster (Fleming operated retail for maybe 10 years until they started offloading Rainbow, Baker’s, ABCO, etc. onto other buyers before collapsing inevitably). I still think C&S is just buying 413 stores to flip for real estate. That’s exactly what Comvest did with the Haggen trainwreck.

Ahold would ultimately be a better buyer for all of the divests. Give them the entire Albertsons nameplate, along with QFC, Carrs, Mariano’s, and some leftover Safeway, Vons, Tom Thumb, etc. stores.

This will likely be the sole union endorsing the merger.