Texas Rangers Store With Amazon RFID Just Walk Out

Alpha8472

Texas Rangers Store With Amazon RFID Just Walk Out

Post by Alpha8472 »

Amazon's Just Walk Out cameras could not handle apparel or softlines. So Amazon has added RFID chips to apparel to keep track of the items. The problem is that if customers pull off the labels then they can steal the items. Perhaps they should just embed RFID chips deep inside all items and skip the flawed camera technology.

https://chainstoreage.com/texas-rangers ... k-out-rfid
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Texas Rangers Store With Amazon RFID Just Walk Out

Post by ClownLoach »

Apparel industry has had the RFID process going for over a decade, and many retailers have switched to RFID checkout. The RFID is not in a removable paper tag but it is instead embedded in the cleaning instructions tag or another tag sewn into a seam. Adidas embeds them in shoes and uses this for checkout except in outlet stores, they just put the box on a designated mat on the counter and it's instantly scanned. Uniquo has been using RFID checkout for years and evolved it recently to self checkout where you throw all the clothes into a bin and they all register in less than a second. I am unsure as to why there would have been any attempt to create a Just Walk Out apparel store using cameras because RFID is reliable and far cheaper. Amazon is behind on RFID because of their insistence on homebrewed technology until now. I don't think there is anything new here except for the use of the same gates instead of a register.
Alpha8472

Re: Texas Rangers Store With Amazon RFID Just Walk Out

Post by Alpha8472 »

Wow, I never knew Uniqlo had self checkout like that. It seems really quick and efficient. Amazon seems to love to throw money away on really flawed "new" technology.