Publix

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Publix

Post by veteran+ »

This is still happening?

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... -file-suit

They had these problems when I worked there (also my sister).

Can't be true since they are often rated one of the best supermarket chains to work for in America. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
storewanderer

Re: Publix

Post by storewanderer »

Just like customers, employees don't have a whole lot of choices for grocery in Florida either. And about to have even fewer once Aldi buys Winn Dixie.

"Compensation is also wanted for any tasks done off the store floor, like communicating with co-workers and supervisors either by phone or text."

This has become a pretty major problem... and not just in retail. Luckily all of these activities like texts, calls, emails, whatever, are logged on the phone and time stamped. Pretty easy to prove the off work communication occurred. A lot harder to get compensation for it.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: October 28th, 2023, 12:15 pm
This has become a pretty major problem... and not just in retail. Luckily all of these activities like texts, calls, emails, whatever, are logged on the phone and time stamped. Pretty easy to prove the off work communication occurred. A lot harder to get compensation for it.
All depends on the state you're in. California the burden of proof falls on the business to disprove the claim. Guilty until proven innocent.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I always used to think Publix would be a great company to work for, but the stories I’ve heard from some employees lately make it sound terrible, and impossible to please It.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: November 20th, 2023, 6:35 pm I always used to think Publix would be a great company to work for, but the stories I’ve heard from some employees lately make it sound terrible, and impossible to please It.
It can be great as it has a lot of advancement opportunities if you fit into their cliche. I suppose this is like many companies. For entry level their pay rates are very low (they used to be lower than Wal Mart, not sure now) but their demands are very high.

From what I've heard Wegman's is a lot better to work for.

But Publix does something right because without people they wouldn't be able to do this ongoing organic expansion they are doing.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

cjd wrote: November 20th, 2023, 6:35 pm I always used to think Publix would be a great company to work for, but the stories I’ve heard from some employees lately make it sound terrible, and impossible to please It.
My sister, friends and I can attest to that (at least in the SW area).

What makes this issue stick out is when the Legend or Mythology (vociferously proclaimed) does not match the present reality.

When you loudly boast about something (also supported my curated surveys of best place to work) and you're not really delivering that boast consistently then it becomes more noticeable.

I do not think Publix is much different than any other retailer today when it comes to employee and customer realtions. It is just that other retailers do not boast as loud as Publix.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

As a shopper (not an employee) I used to appreciate the clean, professional image Publix maintained in the last 25 or so years I’ve had experience with them.

But lately imo their standards have slipped a bit to where they aren’t much different than others.

I do think that Publix maintains its facilities to a higher standard than Winn Dixie and Walmart, however.

It seems like Publix stores just have somebody that is able to catch the “little stuff” because I find unclean areas in their facilities or things out of place. I’m not sure why that is, but I’ve found that to generally be the case with them. Of course the Publix stores around here are generally fairly new. The older stores did at times, exhibit wear and tear.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

cjd wrote: November 25th, 2023, 9:06 pm As a shopper (not an employee) I used to appreciate the clean, professional image Publix maintained in the last 25 or so years I’ve had experience with them.

But lately imo their standards have slipped a bit to where they aren’t much different than others.

I do think that Publix maintains its facilities to a higher standard than Winn Dixie and Walmart, however.

It seems like Publix stores just have somebody that is able to catch the “little stuff” because I find unclean areas in their facilities or things out of place. I’m not sure why that is, but I’ve found that to generally be the case with them. Of course the Publix stores around here are generally fairly new. The older stores did at times, exhibit wear and tear.
I believe what a customer sees or experiences depends on the region and or specific location within a region.

I have "heard" that the newer stores in their expanding regions (north) are more true to the original reputation.

South Florida is where there are more problems but, certain upscale neighborhoods maintain pretty well. Dadeland Publix (I managed this store) and the other one very close on S. Dixie Hwy were always high end stores doing over 1.5 million per week on their slower weeks (early 2000s). I do not know if that is still the case.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Part of why Publix seems maintained well is due to the construction of the stores. Many stores have that terrazzo flooring which basically just looks good forever.

Publix Stores do not appear to get the wear and tear of a Wal Mart or a Target type store (fewer giant groups of customers shopping there) and it is rare/unusual to see bashed up fixtures or falling apart counters etc. in their stores due to the this.

I am wondering how often they replace refrigeration. We could be reaching a point where Publix is sitting on a lot of 00's or 90's era refrigeration which until recently would have looked pretty good, and it is time to replace this as it starts to get old, rusted, paint chipping, noisy, etc.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

storewanderer wrote: November 26th, 2023, 8:38 pm Part of why Publix seems maintained well is due to the construction of the stores. Many stores have that terrazzo flooring which basically just looks good forever.

Publix Stores do not appear to get the wear and tear of a Wal Mart or a Target type store (fewer giant groups of customers shopping there) and it is rare/unusual to see bashed up fixtures or falling apart counters etc. in their stores due to the this.

I am wondering how often they replace refrigeration. We could be reaching a point where Publix is sitting on a lot of 00's or 90's era refrigeration which until recently would have looked pretty good, and it is time to replace this as it starts to get old, rusted, paint chipping, noisy, etc.
I'd bet that the driving force around replacing refrigeration is energy savings these days rather than function.