Z Gallerie Closing All Stores

rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Z Gallerie Closing All Stores

Post by rwsandiego »

After filing for Chapter 11 in October, Z Gallerie is closing its brick-and-mortar stores, according to KTLA.

I was never impressed with their merchandise, aside from some of their framed prints. It always seemed like they were selling the same styles they did back in the early 2000's.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Z Gallerie Closing All Stores

Post by ClownLoach »

I would disagree on the style piece, but their prices were too high and quality was very inconsistent for what was otherwise a middle class trendy furniture store. They had some excellent furniture, lighting and decor pieces but ten feet away there would be a piece that would fail Ikea quality control. They would rarely run sales but when they did they were huge. There was also a frustrating attitude amongst the stores toward merchandise, there was one of those prefab art pieces we really liked but every single one in both Newport Beach and South Coast Plaza had a damaged frame or canvas. It was as if they just threw all the merchandise in a single layer of bubble wrap into a truck blindfolded and didn't care about how badly it would be damaged. Knowing that aspect of their business, I don't know how they're going to survive as an online retailer. They're going to get a lot of returns, and won't survive if they won't take returns. Maybe big furniture stores like Ashley can get away with saying all sales final unless you refused delivery due to damage, but you at least had a chance to sit in the chair or couch or whatever in the showroom. Absent of a place to try out the furniture and having the concerns I have around their ability to package and take care of their goods, I would be extraordinarily hesitant to shop them online.

The more important thing to recognize is this is yet another example of a "middle class" furniture store closing. Places like Ikea are slammed with customers and hundreds of people in line. Ultra high end design places like RH seem to have no concerns about momentary hiccups in the economy and are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on individual mega flagship stores with 5 Star restaurants. And the brands that cater to middle class are crashing and burning. I don't see that any of the middle class chains like Ashley, Jerome's, and whatever else is left here are doing much business at all and they seem to be desperate for customers.