Mercado Gonzalez Northgate opening, "Wegmans" or "Bristol Farms" of Hispanic grocery stores

California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Mercado Gonzalez Northgate opening, "Wegmans" or "Bristol Farms" of Hispanic grocery stores

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: February 11th, 2024, 1:21 am
ClownLoach wrote: February 11th, 2024, 12:39 am Went back late this evening. I'm sure that everyone is assuming that this store must have died down by now, the cracks are showing etc.

The damned store is even busier now than when it first opened. It is absolutely the busiest supermarket I've seen in SoCal.

Over 100 customers in a line just for churros with a line stretching to the main entrance (the churros have a separate little storefront door on the left).

They've had to add dozens of additional cafe seating tables and it isn't enough. If this was a restaurant it would be the busiest in town.

Every department is open full service till at least 9pm, many till 10pm and they mean it - nothing is taken down or closed until the department is done for the day. And there are over 20 of them.

If you told me this store was doing $5 million a week I would believe you.

It proves that if you run a great store, everyone will shop there regardless of concept - at any given moment half the customers are not Hispanic. This store is the most authentically decorated and operated Hispanic grocery store in the US, but it appeals to everyone.

It proves Hispanic customers appreciate high quality and premium offerings, as they are selling much more expensive items than a conventional Northgate. For example I bought some of the last marinated USDA Prime Carne Asada Arrachera in the building, the most expensive such product versus lesser cuts. The expensive stuff sells first. The prices on hot, fresh tortillas either flour or corn have gone up to at least $4 a bag and many customers grab multiples packs despite being double or triple the price of conventional supermarket brands... They sample these for everyone and they're the most delicious tortillas you've ever had. I suspect many customers drive past multiple Northgate stores to get the unique offerings of this store.

And it proves you can run an insanely high labor, high service model. Pavilions couldn't do it. Whole Foods couldn't do it. Even Eataly in Century City has scaled back many offerings since first opening. But this store not only has maintained them, they've expanded the hours as well. Are there hiccups typical of food halls (tough to find seating, sometimes long lines)? Sure, but it works because it's also a great store.

Finally, it proves that you can spend a lot of money on a retail brick and mortar store experience and turn a huge profit even in 2024.

It is the perfect supermarket for today's California. It's not trying to be a Fred Meyer type operation with everything under the sun. It has minimal GM product, which makes sense because no one wants to buy it outside of Walmart/Target/Costco these days. It is very high security, but you can pick up and touch everything (Liquor is in its own walled off store, and self checkout is aggressively monitored with scan to exit doors).

And it is exceptionally well run. The food prep areas are completely open behind glass at the back. They are "cleaner than an operating room" and certainly superior sanitation than any other grocery store. Even at 9:30pm they were just putting out freshly made salsa and guacamole, restocking and culling produce, and baking fresh pan dulce. The store never gets messy, never has out of stocks, and it has been flawlessly maintained since opening with perfect cleaning, no burned out lights, everything working. They spent top dollar on every inch of the decor too, and it shows.

I think even the most stubborn critics (like me) would absolutely love this store. It's at least an hour drive for me to get there and I don't care. I probably spend more here than any fancy store. It's totally worth it. Cannot stop praising it (even though it is pretty darned crowded).
This operator executes and actually cares about its stores. Had any of the other small Hispanic chains tried this, I don't think the result would have been this good.

Have they done anything to resolve the parking issue? I've heard the parking lot is not big enough (it is a huge lot).

The bigger question is how many more of these can they open, and where?
The parking lot is absolutely massive. This was the largest Albertsons I had previously seen, it was originally intended to be a Lucky-SavOn. And yes, it is jam packed. But you will always find a parking place within a minute or two of circling. It isn't impossible. It is also easy to park even as far as Home Depot and walk over.

I wonder where they can build more of these. I think the demographic is the key - they know they have Hispanic customers driving past half a dozen of their stores to get to this one, and they're spending so much more now that it is still a positive for the company. But they also have an incredibly exciting, exceptionally well done environment on the level of something I would expect from the Walt Disney Company, and that appeals to an even broader audience which explains Bentleys and Maseratis in the parking lot that drove up from Newport Beach past a plethora of Pavilions, Bristol Farms and Whole Foods.

I think maybe Torrance, close to the Del Amo mall would potentially work. Maybe Burbank and Northridge. Mission Valley in San Diego or the Sports Arena area near Old Town.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Mercado Gonzalez Northgate opening, "Wegmans" or "Bristol Farms" of Hispanic grocery stores

Post by ClownLoach »

ClownLoach wrote: February 11th, 2024, 9:59 pm
storewanderer wrote: February 11th, 2024, 1:21 am
ClownLoach wrote: February 11th, 2024, 12:39 am Went back late this evening. I'm sure that everyone is assuming that this store must have died down by now, the cracks are showing etc.

The damned store is even busier now than when it first opened. It is absolutely the busiest supermarket I've seen in SoCal.

Over 100 customers in a line just for churros with a line stretching to the main entrance (the churros have a separate little storefront door on the left).

They've had to add dozens of additional cafe seating tables and it isn't enough. If this was a restaurant it would be the busiest in town.

Every department is open full service till at least 9pm, many till 10pm and they mean it - nothing is taken down or closed until the department is done for the day. And there are over 20 of them.

If you told me this store was doing $5 million a week I would believe you.

It proves that if you run a great store, everyone will shop there regardless of concept - at any given moment half the customers are not Hispanic. This store is the most authentically decorated and operated Hispanic grocery store in the US, but it appeals to everyone.

It proves Hispanic customers appreciate high quality and premium offerings, as they are selling much more expensive items than a conventional Northgate. For example I bought some of the last marinated USDA Prime Carne Asada Arrachera in the building, the most expensive such product versus lesser cuts. The expensive stuff sells first. The prices on hot, fresh tortillas either flour or corn have gone up to at least $4 a bag and many customers grab multiples packs despite being double or triple the price of conventional supermarket brands... They sample these for everyone and they're the most delicious tortillas you've ever had. I suspect many customers drive past multiple Northgate stores to get the unique offerings of this store.

And it proves you can run an insanely high labor, high service model. Pavilions couldn't do it. Whole Foods couldn't do it. Even Eataly in Century City has scaled back many offerings since first opening. But this store not only has maintained them, they've expanded the hours as well. Are there hiccups typical of food halls (tough to find seating, sometimes long lines)? Sure, but it works because it's also a great store.

Finally, it proves that you can spend a lot of money on a retail brick and mortar store experience and turn a huge profit even in 2024.

It is the perfect supermarket for today's California. It's not trying to be a Fred Meyer type operation with everything under the sun. It has minimal GM product, which makes sense because no one wants to buy it outside of Walmart/Target/Costco these days. It is very high security, but you can pick up and touch everything (Liquor is in its own walled off store, and self checkout is aggressively monitored with scan to exit doors).

And it is exceptionally well run. The food prep areas are completely open behind glass at the back. They are "cleaner than an operating room" and certainly superior sanitation than any other grocery store. Even at 9:30pm they were just putting out freshly made salsa and guacamole, restocking and culling produce, and baking fresh pan dulce. The store never gets messy, never has out of stocks, and it has been flawlessly maintained since opening with perfect cleaning, no burned out lights, everything working. They spent top dollar on every inch of the decor too, and it shows.

I think even the most stubborn critics (like me) would absolutely love this store. It's at least an hour drive for me to get there and I don't care. I probably spend more here than any fancy store. It's totally worth it. Cannot stop praising it (even though it is pretty darned crowded).
This operator executes and actually cares about its stores. Had any of the other small Hispanic chains tried this, I don't think the result would have been this good.

Have they done anything to resolve the parking issue? I've heard the parking lot is not big enough (it is a huge lot).

The bigger question is how many more of these can they open, and where?
The parking lot is absolutely massive. This was the largest Albertsons I had previously seen, it was originally intended to be a Lucky-SavOn. And yes, it is jam packed. But you will always find a parking place within a minute or two of circling. It isn't impossible. It is also easy to park even as far as Home Depot and walk over.

I wonder where they can build more of these. I think the demographic is the key - they know they have Hispanic customers driving past half a dozen of their stores to get to this one, and they're spending so much more now that it is still a positive for the company. But they also have an incredibly exciting, exceptionally well done environment on the level of something I would expect from the Walt Disney Company, and that appeals to an even broader audience which explains Bentleys and Maseratis in the parking lot that drove up from Newport Beach past a plethora of Pavilions, Bristol Farms and Whole Foods.

I think maybe Torrance, close to the Del Amo mall would potentially work. Maybe Burbank and Northridge. Mission Valley in San Diego or the Sports Arena area near Old Town.
I should add, they apparently have added valet parking during peak hours as well.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

I finally made the trek down behind the Orange Curtain (I'm around 45 miles away) on a rainy President's Day Monday. It was everything that has been described here, but I hope it's not going to become a victim of its own success and end up like that famous saying, "No one goes there anymore -- it's too crowded."

I met up with a friend who lives nearby and we were planning to have lunch there but we eventually gave up due to the crowds, lines, and lack of places to sit. Except for the areas where self-serve was an option (the pan dulce area, and prepackaged tamales and tortillas at their respective stations) I wasn't able to buy anything. At least the checkouts (both full and self-) were not crowded.

I guess I was thinking that the novelty might have worn off by now -- but that definitely didn't seem to be the case. As much as I liked it, I won't be going back until I know I can shop more easily and be able to try some of the many offerings without waiting in long lines.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

J-Man wrote: February 28th, 2024, 6:58 am I finally made the trek down behind the Orange Curtain (I'm around 45 miles away) on a rainy President's Day Monday. It was everything that has been described here, but I hope it's not going to become a victim of its own success and end up like that famous saying, "No one goes there anymore -- it's too crowded."

I met up with a friend who lives nearby and we were planning to have lunch there but we eventually gave up due to the crowds, lines, and lack of places to sit. Except for the areas where self-serve was an option (the pan dulce area, and prepackaged tamales and tortillas at their respective stations) I wasn't able to buy anything. At least the checkouts (both full and self-) were not crowded.

I guess I was thinking that the novelty might have worn off by now -- but that definitely didn't seem to be the case. As much as I liked it, I won't be going back until I know I can shop more easily and be able to try some of the many offerings without waiting in long lines.
Yeah, it is crazy. The store changes depending on the time of day. Your traditional grocery store hours - the lines get very long at checkout and wrap around the queue. Then traditional restaurant hours the lines at each puesto get crazy. Late night it's all prepared food sales and they could probably run with one cashier despite thousands of people being in the store. But the place runs like clockwork and it is absolutely a work of art inside.

They are working on adding online ordering and kiosk ordering for food to all the puestos, and that will serve to address a lot of the lines. One area I noticed they are struggling with is the sales of other items at these stations besides prepared food for dine-in due to the lines. Many of the items that would be at the deli counter by themselves are sold at the individual puestos, and that turns a meal into multiple waits in line. It would be a single counter and possibly no line at a regular Northgate. I suspect that any new stores will correct this deficiency and separate these areas, for example the case of carnitas and fresh chicharron is at the same counter where you order carnitas dishes. They need to be separated as many people in line to order tacos, tortas etc. which are cheaper orders. It might be a long wait for the customer who wants several pounds of carnitas which is a lot more expensive than a taco plate. But that is fixable and they seem to be tweaking their system, kiosk orders will greatly help.

My point is that you're right, they are so busy they're actually leaving sales on the table. But that just means that when the crowds do finally subside a little bit that they might actually sell more as these inefficiencies become resolved. They've really done a outstanding job overall though, it is just an incredibly beautiful store.

The family that owns the company has a huge property in downtown Santa Ana off 4th St (Calle Cuatro area) and they are redeveloping their old store there. I believe it has already been closed and leveled. They are making it mixed use, big store below and apartments above. I expect they will very quickly change their plans and make it this same format, which will also serve to extend the once-trendy restaurant and food hall "Calle Cuatro" district a few blocks and make their store the centerpiece. Only concern I have there is the difference in the median income of the area. Costa Mesa is a cultural melting pot, that has been a secret for years. I suspect that it has served like other communities that border rich areas and the help, service industry, trades etc. need an affordable place to live. There are some very heavily Hispanic areas nearby and apartments that serve this store, but then they're getting rich customers from Newport Beach as well. Santa Ana won't have that same benefit of pulling from a rich area, and it won't have the vehicular traffic either. Will be interesting to see if I'm right and they go with the Mercado format on that new store, and if they possibly remodel the previous flagship in Anaheim to the format (State College and Lincoln, a former Ralphs). But this thing is such a hit that I cannot imagine they aren't salivating at the thought of how many more they can open.
BreakingThrough
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by BreakingThrough »

@ClownLoach did you see this story in the LA Times yesterday? I feel like you conjured it. :)

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2024 ... mmigration

The publicity certainly won't help with the crowds, but word definitely seems to be spreading.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

BreakingThrough wrote: February 28th, 2024, 1:20 pm @ClownLoach did you see this story in the LA Times yesterday? I feel like you conjured it. :)

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2024 ... mmigration

The publicity certainly won't help with the crowds, but word definitely seems to be spreading.
Wow, wasn't expecting this article at all. Also I wonder when they changed the plan to not include a replacement Northgate in the Santa Ana redevelopment? I knew it was seen as controversial by the community because they felt the Gonzalez family was cashing in on the community, but at least a store was going to be there... I guess it's just like all the other redevelopments I've been talking about where the decision gets made to include just a few more apartments, a few more condos etc. and leave out that supermarket. I wonder if this article will change their minds... They could definitely fit a smaller scale version of this store there, and frankly they should as they've run everyone else out of that area only to now abandon it themselves. (I don't count Food4Less who apparently makes more of an effort to be a store for the Latino community in Temecula than in Santa Ana)
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

From the article:
Northgate was easily accessible to Garcia and her neighbors, particularly those who don’t drive. The store supplied the guajillo and ancho chiles Garcia’s mother uses to make her salsa.
You can’t find those at Food 4 Less, because it is not curated for a Latino community,” Garcia said.
I have a hard time believing you can't find guajillo and ancho chiles at Food4Less, especially in Santa Ana. Even Aldi has those. I guess it's possible she we referring to a specific type or brand, but I'm sure that Food4Less has plenty of items that are popular with the Latino community.