Safeway Operations

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Safeway Operations

Post by reymann »

last time i was at vons in fresno, i noticed that they are starting to phase out the sandwich counter there. they also now have an attendant at all times at the self checkout area to keep the customers honest.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

reymann wrote: November 21st, 2023, 7:10 am last time i was at vons in fresno, i noticed that they are starting to phase out the sandwich counter there. they also now have an attendant at all times at the self checkout area to keep the customers honest.
NorCal is always hanging on to the old Safeway ways of doing things so I'm sure the sandwich counters will go last. They hardly do any business and the way they place them on the new build stores makes them completely unnoticed by customers.

There was always supposed to be someone at self checkout at all times. They were probably using that person to run a normal register.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Pavilions still has a nice fresh sandwich offering.

Ralphs does too but quality is spotty.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

jamcool wrote: November 20th, 2023, 2:24 pm A sandwich with better quality bread and meat for under 9 bucks is still a better deal than at Subway and their mediocre meats.
If you can get a deli employee to even appear or acknowledge the sandwich counter. ((sigh)) This really bums me out, their sandwiches were *so* great for so many years.
storewanderer wrote: I also noticed some AZ Safeways that had decommissioned their sandwich counters. Same thing at Las Vegas Vons so that division must have stopped sandwiches. Maybe they think this will help them better fit in with Kroger.
Albertsons never really liked to custom make sandwiches, and definitely didn't have a specialized sandwich bar like Safeway stores do. There's even a hostile review of the Baker City, Ore. store exactly about this topic. :mrgreen:

Here, the newer re-bannered "Safeway" Albertsons stores do not have the hot Chinese food or custom sandwiches available. All Safeway stores in this area did add those wraps that Albertsons has offered since the 1990s (I think the deli paper may even be the pre-SuperValu Albertsons script logo).
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

SamSpade wrote: November 21st, 2023, 1:00 pm Albertsons never really liked to custom make sandwiches, and definitely didn't have a specialized sandwich bar like Safeway stores do. There's even a hostile review of the Baker City, Ore. store exactly about this topic. :mrgreen:

Here, the newer re-bannered "Safeway" Albertsons stores do not have the hot Chinese food or custom sandwiches available. All Safeway stores in this area did add those wraps that Albertsons has offered since the 1990s (I think the deli paper may even be the pre-SuperValu Albertsons script logo).
That Albertson’s script logo dates back to 1997 or so. SoCal division still uses that deli paper for meat wrapping. The only product left at Albertsons that is still branded Albertsons. *sniff*
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Safeway stores recently remodeled to the Pavilions decor in the San Francisco Bay Area all have huge deli areas with sandwich counters. They call it The Bistro. Those stores have lots of staff at the sandwich counters, but still no soda.

Whatever happened to the self serve soup bar at Safeway? They seemed to have disappeared along with the self serve chicken wing bar.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

SamSpade wrote: November 21st, 2023, 1:00 pm
jamcool wrote: November 20th, 2023, 2:24 pm A sandwich with better quality bread and meat for under 9 bucks is still a better deal than at Subway and their mediocre meats.
If you can get a deli employee to even appear or acknowledge the sandwich counter. ((sigh)) This really bums me out, their sandwiches were *so* great for so many years.
storewanderer wrote: I also noticed some AZ Safeways that had decommissioned their sandwich counters. Same thing at Las Vegas Vons so that division must have stopped sandwiches. Maybe they think this will help them better fit in with Kroger.
Albertsons never really liked to custom make sandwiches, and definitely didn't have a specialized sandwich bar like Safeway stores do. There's even a hostile review of the Baker City, Ore. store exactly about this topic. :mrgreen:

The just-opened Safeway in Surprise (AZ) has the custom made sandwich area.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: November 21st, 2023, 4:28 pm
SamSpade wrote: November 21st, 2023, 1:00 pm

The just-opened Safeway in Surprise (AZ) has the custom made sandwich area.
It'll be interesting to see if the new Surprise Safeway store is divested. I'm not 100% sure it will be. These new builds are very nice stores.

The new Frys way up Grand (not the one closest to the new Safeway) is a far nicer store though. For now anyway.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

My Vons now has local street names on the sign for each aisle. I also saw something similar at a Safeway in Colorado recently.

My city doesn't have too many iconic streets, so while some are well known, there are also some random names that I didn't recognize despite living here for a decade.

Is this in all divisions now?
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

HCal wrote: December 9th, 2023, 9:38 pm My Vons now has local street names on the sign for each aisle. I also saw something similar at a Safeway in Colorado recently.

My city doesn't have too many iconic streets, so while some are well known, there are also some random names that I didn't recognize despite living here for a decade.

Is this in all divisions now?
All stores that got remodeled into Florida (Modern) decor got street named aisles. They did a terrible job choosing street names in many locations.

The colorful lifestyle format got historical pictures on walls, but many are poorly chosen. There is a "historical photo" in a Murrieta store that is actually a sleazy liquor store featured as if it was a local historical landmark.