Trader Joe’s to move Everett store to Everett Mall

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Trader Joe’s to move Everett store to Everett Mall

Post by marshd1000 »

Trader Joe’s will be moving to the old Sears space at Everett Mall:

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/trader-j ... RhbGMnGjeg
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Trader Joe’s to move Everett store to Everett Mall

Post by SamSpade »

Definite parking improvement over their current location. Assuming it is where it was the last time I was in Everett in the past decade, TJs is the anchor to a small strip center with only one driveway in and out from what I remember. I'm sure as the popularity has grown the traffic has only worsened.

Now they need to move Vancouver, Wash's. (or add another somewhere) Its parking lot isn't horrid but it's also a little nuanced.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I used to somewhat regularly shop at that Everett store when I lived there. It's a rather busy store because it is one of only two TJ's stores in Snohomish County (the other is in Lynnwood on Highway 99) and they had nowhere near enough parking in that tiny lot (which they share with a Dollar Tree and a T-Mobile store) for the number of customers they got. Getting back onto northbound Everett Mall Way from their current location could also be dodgy, especially in traffic.

Everett Mall seems like it would be a much better location for them, and would very likely be a good pickup for Everett Mall as well. They haven't degraded quite as much as some of the other malls in the area, but have never really thrived either. My initial guess would be that Trader Joe's would take over the space being vacated by the existing Ulta store (in a prime location right at the front entrance of the mall next to the food court and about the same size as their current store) but I'm not sure how well that space would handle the logistics of a grocery store.

With Ulta and an At Home store moving into the former Sears space and well into construction already (as announced back in March), a Chick-Fil-A coming soon and a HomeGoods store having replaced the former Bed Bath and Beyond store, they seem to be doing a pretty good job of keeping spaces occupied, at least on the exterior of the mall. That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see Burlington either downsize or jump ship at some point since they have walled off a significant chunk of the store and probably don't want to be paying the lease on a bunch of space they aren't using. Their location at the back of the mall also doesn't have great visibility, so they might want something more toward the front at some point.

I also have to imagine Trader Joe's is looking for more places to open stores in Snohomish County as well. If Rite Aid starts closing stores in the area (particularly freestanding locations like the ones on Highway 2 in Monroe, 116th Street in Marysville and on 172nd up in Smokey Point) I could see Trader Joes jumping on some of those.
GMJim
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by GMJim »

SamSpade wrote: November 21st, 2023, 5:20 pm Definite parking improvement over their current location. Assuming it is where it was the last time I was in Everett in the past decade, TJs is the anchor to a small strip center with only one driveway in and out from what I remember. I'm sure as the popularity has grown the traffic has only worsened.

Now they need to move Vancouver, Wash's. (or add another somewhere) Its parking lot isn't horrid but it's also a little nuanced.
Word on the street is that a New TJ's location is going in at a new development in Salmon Creek (Vancouver, WA).