Safeway Northern California Ad Has The Vons Logo Now

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Safeway Northern California Ad Has The Vons Logo Now

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 17th, 2023, 9:17 pm I have noticed when I view Yahoo pages, the ads seems to be VONS ads and not Safeway ads. This is the San Francisco Bay Area, so we are far from any VONS stores.

When I click on the ads, it goes to the VONS website.

The weekly ads still have the Pak N Save and VONS logos.
Today in Safeway in Reno there was a giant cardboard display of something that had Albertsons logos and said Albertsons Companies top pick or something on every side of the display. I can't remember the item, the display was at the end of the paper products/cleaning aisle but it was some kind of food/snack item.

Pretty funny considering these Safeways up here, at their Drive Up and Go department, the blue plastic crates that they use to pick products have Albertsons logos on the top of the crates. A couple of the stores, the one in Sparks specifically comes to mind, actually took and covered up those Albertsons logos on every one of those crates with blank shelf tags.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: December 17th, 2023, 9:27 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: December 17th, 2023, 9:17 pm I have noticed when I view Yahoo pages, the ads seems to be VONS ads and not Safeway ads. This is the San Francisco Bay Area, so we are far from any VONS stores.

Today in Safeway in Reno there was a giant cardboard display of something that had Albertsons logos and said Albertsons Companies top pick or something on every side of the display. I can't remember the item, the display was at the end of the paper products/cleaning aisle but it was some kind of food/snack item.

Pretty funny considering these Safeways up here, at their Drive Up and Go department, the blue plastic crates that they use to pick products have Albertsons logos on the top of the crates. A couple of the stores, the one in Sparks specifically comes to mind, actually took and covered up those Albertsons logos on every one of those crates with blank shelf tags.
Ralphs has a couple large Christmas baking displays and they all say Kroger Baking Center or something like that.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: December 17th, 2023, 11:33 pm
storewanderer wrote: December 17th, 2023, 9:27 pm

Ralphs has a couple large Christmas baking displays and they all say Kroger Baking Center or something like that.
This is not unusual for Kroger. There is more stuff in the Kroger owned chains that says Kroger, than says whatever name is actually on the building. In Smiths there are literally dozens of displays, signs, endcaps, now hiring posters, that all say Kroger.

It is very unusual for NorCal Safeway to make any reference to the name "Albertsons" in their stores. In fact it would not surprise me if that shipper is removed next time I am in the store.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Sounds like an issue at Flipp. Just like how when I was listening to an online stream for a remote radio station, one of the audio vendors that fill ad slots for out of market listeners was running "Black Friday Sale" (not extended/not active) leads for Fred Meyer and yes, this was well after 11/24.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 17th, 2023, 9:17 pm The weekly ads still have the Pak N Save and VONS logos.
What an odd combination. There is literally no overlap between those banners. It also seems odd to advertise Pak N Save online, with its two remaining stores.
Last edited by HCal on December 19th, 2023, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: December 18th, 2023, 11:57 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: December 17th, 2023, 9:17 pm The weekly ads still have the Pak N Save and VONS logos.
What an odd combination. There is literally no overlap between those banners. It also seems odd to advertise Pak N Save online, with it's two remaining stores.
Pak N Save has a lower wage scale/slightly different job titles and duties union contract in place. It is worth keeping those stores open to keep that contract alive. This is the same reason Albertsons kept one Super Saver open in NorCal until the LLC store purge shortly after LLC took ownership (they were under the same contract as PNS).

NorCal Safeway is working to quit circulating the ad but so far from what I can tell they are still mailing ads out, they tried a thing where most of the ad was good for 2 weeks but lately the entire ad is only good for 1 week. They historically have printed a LOT of different versions of their ad and part of the printing different versions was so the Pak N Save logo showed up with the Safeway logo on some ads in Emeryville or San Leandro area but the PNS logo was not on the ad that was sent in Sacramento. Then in say San Francisco where various sugar beverages have a "beverage tax" a special ad gets printed to designate items as a "beverage tax item" but you don't want to circulate an ad making reference to "beverage tax" in Redding or Sacramento where nobody knows what that is. It appears now they don't care and just want to print a single base front page ad for the entire NorCal territory (NV needs a different ad due to different liquor pricing here). Safeway NorCal has also practiced zone pricing where ad prices vary and are higher in the rural stores than in the Sacramento/San Jose Stores for instance that are deemed to have more competition.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: December 19th, 2023, 12:23 am Pak N Save has a lower wage scale/slightly different job titles and duties union contract in place. It is worth keeping those stores open to keep that contract alive. This is the same reason Albertsons kept one Super Saver open in NorCal until the LLC store purge shortly after LLC took ownership (they were under the same contract as PNS).
Sure, but isn't the pricing lower as well, or is it now just standard Safeway pricing on all items?

I thought it was like SaveMart/FoodMaxx where the latter has lower everyday prices due to the limited service model, and therefore they run separate ads.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: December 19th, 2023, 12:38 am
storewanderer wrote: December 19th, 2023, 12:23 am Pak N Save has a lower wage scale/slightly different job titles and duties union contract in place. It is worth keeping those stores open to keep that contract alive. This is the same reason Albertsons kept one Super Saver open in NorCal until the LLC store purge shortly after LLC took ownership (they were under the same contract as PNS).
Sure, but isn't the pricing lower as well, or is it now just standard Safeway pricing on all items?

I thought it was like SaveMart/FoodMaxx where the latter has lower everyday prices due to the limited service model, and therefore they run separate ads.
Pak N Save has been on Safeway pricing for the past 15+ years. They have run common ads with Safeway for the past 25+ years. Pak N Save has also had common perishables from Safeway for the past 25+ years. In the late 90's Safeway used to circulate a coupon book (monthly)- that had Safeway and Pak N Save logos. That coupon book was one version for all of NorCal plus Reno area. Pak N Save logos right next to Safeway logo all over, and on every coupon.

Save Mart and Food Maxx also have the two different union contracts with the lower wage scale thing going on at Food Maxx. Another distinction in that contract that the grocers like is the "utility clerk" position at the box format stores which is similar to a "courtesy clerk" but can perform more duties than a "courtesy clerk."

Back when Fred Meyer had its one store in Chico in the early 90's it was also under this lower wage scale/different job title union contract that the Pak N Saves were under.

There are some differences in what Save Mart and Food Maxx sell. The bakery items are not the same and in many cases produce isn't the same either with Food Maxx receiving different stuff, more "small" size produce (or the giant Ambrosia Apples Food Maxx gets every year that never appear at Save Mart), etc. The meat is also not the same meat.

Back to that contract again, FoodsCo is also on that box store contract. But some FoodsCo units were non-union. As I recall the new Oakland FoodsCo opened as a union store however the new (well, 15 years old now) FoodsCo in Sacramento on East Stockton at Highway 99 opened non-union and was actively picketed by UFCW due to opening non-union, I am not sure if that store ever unionized or not.

So chances are after this merger between Kroger and Safeway goes through there is no point to having Pak N Save anymore. Kroger has the contract with FoodsCo so there is no need to keep Pak N Saves open to keep this contract alive, they can do that with FoodsCo. The Pak N Save store in Emeryville is a Lifestyle Safeway but the sign says Pak N Save (and they are on the lower wage scale). The store in San Leandro is very tired and does not appear to perform well. In South San Francisco on Gellart they were going to keep that store as an Pak N Save even putting up signs that said Pak N Save by Safeway in the middle of the remodel but changed their mind mid-remodel and did re-banner it to Safeway, what is funny is that store kept the self bagging checkstands of Pak N Save after the Lifestyle remodel and I always wondered what contract that store fell under after the remodel as it still had utility clerks and no courtesy clerks. It wasn't until the more recent Florida remodel that they finally took the self bagging checkstands out and put in typical Safeway checkstands.

Raleys also runs one final box store the Food Source in Stockton. I am not sure if that store is unionized or not, as I recall all of the non union Raleys were unionized sometime in the past decade but I am not clear how that impacted Food Source or if it did. But that store may well stay open to keep that contract alive for them too.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: December 19th, 2023, 12:51 am
Pak N Save has been on Safeway pricing for the past 15+ years. They have run common ads with Safeway for the past 25+ years. Pak N Save has also had common perishables from Safeway for the past 25+ years. In the late 90's Safeway used to circulate a coupon book (monthly)- that had Safeway and Pak N Save logos. That coupon book was one version for all of NorCal plus Reno area. Pak N Save logos right next to Safeway logo all over, and on every coupon.
That's rather unfortunate, but I guess it explains why so many of the stores have closed. High prices and limited service doesn't exactly attract customers.

Honestly, I don't see why Safeway bothers keeping this contract alive. It's not like they are going to expand the concept in the future. If the Kroger merger falls through, there will still be no use for it.

But thanks for the detailed explanation.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I believe that Foods Co. In Oakland is non-union.

Union Local 5
https://ufcw5.org/pdf/union-service-guide.pdf