Fred Meyer not open extended hours in 2023 ahead of Christmas

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Fred Meyer not open extended hours in 2023 ahead of Christmas

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: December 19th, 2023, 3:40 pm
storewanderer wrote: December 18th, 2023, 11:18 pm
ClownLoach wrote: December 18th, 2023, 3:47 pm

That's still a cutback at Target. Several years ago they were midnight pretty much all of November and December with 1am and 2am closes on the last few weekends and week before Christmas. It was an operational disaster because they were still doing overnight 10pm to 6am truck processing and basically the stores struggled to keep together so by Christmas Eve they needed a two week process to get the store put back together which is ridiculous. I would not be surprised if the average Target is saving thousands of hours a week right now with the earlier closings.
I don't remember those 1 AM or 2 AM closures, was that maybe only in some markets? Midnight is more than sufficient. And I say that as a late night shopper who likes to shop after 10 PM.

I remember the open 24 hours Kohls. That was really stupid. I feel like Macys did that too, maybe not?
Trying to remember, at one point Home Depot was open 24/7, Macy's, Sears, Kmart, Toys R Us were open 24/7 right up to Christmas Eve. I thought Walmart had 24 hour operation as well. Target was definitely 2am as my wife had to close those Saturday nights and then be back in the morning even though she lived over an hour from the store. Circuit City and Best Buy and Comp USA did midnight. I think one of their competitors did all night the week before Christmas, could have been Ultimate.

The Home Depot round the clock operation was year round. I remember breaking an aquarium part and shopping to fix the pipe fitting at 3am, that was fun.
Home Depot did 24 hours in Reno in the mid 90's for a very brief period (not holidays). They also tried closing at Midnight. They eventually settled on 10 PM.

I think the Wal Marts in NV were 24 hours all the time, even before being Supercenters, so didn't notice anything different going on there since they already ran that schedule.

Definitely remember Toys R Us doing 24 hours, and Kmart, for years for a couple weeks in December. I feel like Sears may have only done it one or two seasons and just the 5 days leading up to Christmas Eve?

If I recall Comp USA was also one of the first chains to open on Thanksgiving Night.

At least online shopping has shut down some of these ridiculous store holiday hours schedules for a number of retailers.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: December 19th, 2023, 9:58 pm
storewanderer wrote: December 18th, 2023, 11:18 pm

I don't remember those 1 AM or 2 AM closures, was that maybe only in some markets? Midnight is more than sufficient. And I say that as a late night shopper who likes to shop after 10 PM.

I remember the open 24 hours Kohls. That was really stupid. I feel like Macys did that too, maybe not?
Trying to remember, at one point Home Depot was open 24/7, Macy's, Sears, Kmart, Toys R Us were open 24/7 right up to Christmas Eve. I thought Walmart had 24 hour operation as well. Target was definitely 2am as my wife had to close those Saturday nights and then be back in the morning even though she lived over an hour from the store. Circuit City and Best Buy and Comp USA did midnight. I think one of their competitors did all night the week before Christmas, could have been Ultimate.

The Home Depot round the clock operation was year round. I remember breaking an aquarium part and shopping to fix the pipe fitting at 3am, that was fun.
At least online shopping has shut down some of these ridiculous store holiday hours schedules for a number of retailers.
And we are all better for it.
Super S

Post by Super S »

ClownLoach wrote: December 20th, 2023, 12:08 am

Home Depot had this at some stores around the Portland area at one point as well. I could see this in an area with a booming economy and construction workers getting an early start, but in reality the only time that makes sense is during the summer months. This would not work with Home Depot in Portland today.

Walmart had quite a few year-round 24 Hour Supercenters at one point, but this has been scaled way back, at least in my area. It seems like some still do this during the summer months.

I know at one point in the 1990s Fred Meyer advertised 24 Hour Food Departments. This did not last very long. I always wondered, with their inconsistent store layouts, what they did to block off access to the rest of the store, or if they simply locked the GM side doors.

I am OK with grocery and some drug stores being open 24 hours. These do provide a legitimate need. But there is no reason for a Kohl's, Best Buy, Macy's etc. to be open around the clock, regardless of the time of year.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: December 20th, 2023, 7:58 am

I know at one point in the 1990s Fred Meyer advertised 24 Hour Food Departments. This did not last very long. I always wondered, with their inconsistent store layouts, what they did to block off access to the rest of the store, or if they simply locked the GM side doors.
That was done at stores that had not yet converted to central checkout. They would only have the food doors open and use carts to block off the rest of the store. I remember sometimes in the early 80s when they would do the opposite during on holidays like Thanksgiving. They would close down food and block that part of the store off with carts. Times change.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: December 20th, 2023, 12:13 pm

That was done at stores that had not yet converted to central checkout. They would only have the food doors open and use carts to block off the rest of the store. I remember sometimes in the early 80s when they would do the opposite during on holidays like Thanksgiving. They would close down food and block that part of the store off with carts. Times change.
North Medford had this set up in the early 90's with 24 hour food. They had a giant super long gate that they used to seal off the store somewhere around dairy. I forget exactly what non food categories were accessible; as I recall office supplies were accessible, not sure if pet was fully accessible and cosmetics definitely wasn't accessible.

I think they did this to compete with Sherm's Food 4 Less next door which was also open 24 hours (and still is).
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: December 20th, 2023, 11:48 pm
babs wrote: December 20th, 2023, 12:13 pm
North Medford had this set up in the early 90's with 24 hour food. They had a giant super long gate that they used to seal off the store somewhere around dairy. I forget exactly what non food categories were accessible; as I recall office supplies were accessible, not sure if pet was fully accessible and cosmetics definitely wasn't accessible.

I think they did this to compete with Sherm's Food 4 Less next door which was also open 24 hours (and still is).
Newberg is open super late (3 AM if I recall correctly) a couple of days a year, primarily to service George Fox University students when they go back to school. I saw it advertised when I was there one time, and heard about “late night Freddy’s runs” from friends that went there. It makes sense considering there’s no Walmart in Newberg, the closest ones being in Sherwood and the Division 1 Walmart in McMinnville.

I also think Coos Bay may have been a 24x7 food operation for a while - they still had a gate up until the recent remodel. That store is probably the easiest to segregate food, since it is the short leg of a backwards L when you look at the building from an aerial view. However, this remodel also took all the cash registers out of food and moved them to the variety entrance facing Hwy 101.

I’d almost like to say Ogden may have been a 24x7 store for a while? I’m trying to remember, but I didn’t start going there until the late 90’s.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 9:21 pm

Newberg is open super late (3 AM if I recall correctly) a couple of days a year, primarily to service George Fox University students when they go back to school. I saw it advertised when I was there one time, and heard about “late night Freddy’s runs” from friends that went there. It makes sense considering there’s no Walmart in Newberg, the closest ones being in Sherwood and the Division 1 Walmart in McMinnville.

I also think Coos Bay may have been a 24x7 food operation for a while - they still had a gate up until the recent remodel. That store is probably the easiest to segregate food, since it is the short leg of a backwards L when you look at the building from an aerial view. However, this remodel also took all the cash registers out of food and moved them to the variety entrance facing Hwy 101.

I’d almost like to say Ogden may have been a 24x7 store for a while? I’m trying to remember, but I didn’t start going there until the late 90’s.
I remember that gate in Coos Bay... was yet another thing that made that store seem so outdated before they finally remodeled it.

The Downtown Salt Lake City Fred Meyer used to be open until Midnight; not sure what Smiths is doing with it, initially they kept Midnight, but they never closed any departments off.