Walmart: Your value-based holiday grocer

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Walmart: Your value-based holiday grocer

Post by SamSpade »

Walmart shifted its TV campaigns as December shipping deadlines came to a close and such...
I have seen more of this 'food' ad and less of the 'gifts for everyone' side they started with this season.
Excludes Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, y'all. :lol:

*shiver* canned green beans in green bean casserole. oh lord in heaven.
storewanderer

Re: Walmart: Your value-based holiday grocer

Post by storewanderer »

This is very interesting. Some items they are actually showing their price in 2023 is higher than their price in 2022.

Honest advertising I guess...

"We only increased the whipped topping 9 cents."

Okay.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Many stores have these items on sale right now, which kind of fits Walmart's dates (11/1-12/31).

Smith's in Utah did kick everyone else's pricing to the curb, mainly because of the ham and produce. I didn't even use the extra $2 potentially to remove from the bill (one would have to purchase 5 items in the promotion if I understood the offer correctly). If I shopped in Utah, I likely would buy Harmon's nice looking and available deli items instead of the more generic name brands. Pricing was reasonable and ingredients "cleaner."

I tried to use a "super" Target from Denver. Again, weird selection and some odd gaps for online shopping, but ultimately the cheapest. I did like that Target had maximum pricing on the ham and turkeys.

December 2023: Compare Walmart to Albertsons, Target, Kroger, an independent
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by marketreportblog »

SamSpade wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 12:07 pm Many stores have these items on sale right now, which kind of fits Walmart's dates (11/1-12/31).

Smith's in Utah did kick everyone else's pricing to the curb, mainly because of the ham and produce. I didn't even use the extra $2 potentially to remove from the bill (one would have to purchase 5 items in the promotion if I understood the offer correctly). If I shopped in Utah, I likely would buy Harmon's nice looking and available deli items instead of the more generic name brands. Pricing was reasonable and ingredients "cleaner."

I tried to use a "super" Target from Denver. Again, weird selection and some odd gaps for online shopping, but ultimately the cheapest. I did like that Target had maximum pricing on the ham and turkeys.

Looks like that might be a private document, although I'm really interested to see what you found!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Smiths pricing has been pretty strong lately. Store conditions are... sigh. But pricing on dairy, meat, and produce is sharp. No quality issues on any meat or produce in a while at Smiths. Wish I could say the same for one of the competitors in the market who used to boast how they were famous for fine produce and meats.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

marketreportblog wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 4:44 pm
SamSpade wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 12:07 pm Many stores have these items on sale right now, which kind of fits Walmart's dates (11/1-12/31).

Looks like that might be a private document, although I'm really interested to see what you found!
Sorry about that, I believe I have fixed it.
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

SamSpade wrote: December 24th, 2023, 2:13 am Sorry about that, I believe I have fixed it.
Cool, thanks for that comparison!

I did one myself last night -- it's not a perfect one-to-one comparison, but it's an idea. And I always love seeing the difference between ACME ($73) and Kings ($188).

Price Comparison NJ
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

marketreportblog wrote: December 24th, 2023, 12:04 pm I did one myself last night -- it's not a perfect one-to-one comparison, but it's an idea. And I always love seeing the difference between ACME ($73) and Kings ($188).
Not sure what is worse, that variance between store co owned, that the 3rd cheapest overall store isn't even in NJ, or that ShopRite is so far from the bottom.

Maybe there is some truth in the ShopRite sales problems in their recently closed market being due to being not as cheap as they used to be, just not noticeable for those who focus on the specials vs. trying to buy everything there?
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

BillyGr wrote: December 24th, 2023, 6:20 pm Not sure what is worse, that variance between store co owned, that the 3rd cheapest overall store isn't even in NJ, or that ShopRite is so far from the bottom.

Maybe there is some truth in the ShopRite sales problems in their recently closed market being due to being not as cheap as they used to be, just not noticeable for those who focus on the specials vs. trying to buy everything there?
Expanded to include a few different ShopRites and including the ShopRite sales for this week, which run Sunday to Saturday for some reason. Everyone else around here runs Thursday to Wednesday or Friday to Thursday. I also added a few more NY stores for comparison.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

marketreportblog wrote: December 24th, 2023, 7:44 pm
BillyGr wrote: December 24th, 2023, 6:20 pm Not sure what is worse, that variance between store co owned, that the 3rd cheapest overall store isn't even in NJ, or that ShopRite is so far from the bottom.

Expanded to include a few different ShopRites and including the ShopRite sales for this week, which run Sunday to Saturday for some reason. Everyone else around here runs Thursday to Wednesday or Friday to Thursday. I also added a few more NY stores for comparison.
I think that was more common at one point (Sun-Sat, maybe even Mon-Sat when many places weren't open 7 days), but others have changed over time (I seem to remember a couple chains switching days over the years, thinking Stop & Shop may be one, possibly others no longer such as A&P or Pathmark). I do remember there being a variety down in NJ when all the chains were up & running, having to check different sites different days to see what was going to be valid when we'd be down that way (usually over a weekend).

Doesn't seem so strange for us in the former ShopRite area, since both Price Chopper and Hannaford run the same Sun-Sat schedule (and as far as I know, they do so in all their stores, even when in an area like MA with Stop & Shop/Big Y that are doing the Thu or Fri starts). Tops also has Sun-Sat (with their few scattered stores around the area), along with all the drug chains (though supposedly CVS will be switching to ads running 2 weeks starting with 2024, so probably the one that begins 12/31).