Clothes at Lowes

storewanderer

Clothes at Lowes

Post by storewanderer »

Are clothes at Lowes now a thing? I saw basically two "racks" of some generic shirts and possibly some kind of Wrangler products. This was on/around the front wall next to houseplants. This was a big open space. I thought this had a Petco department before but I may be getting my stores confused.

They did still have a few cardboard displays of Petco toys and pet beds still in this general area but no Petco signs etc. were posted other than the Petco logo on the cardboard displays.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Clothes at Lowes

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 1:47 am Are clothes at Lowes now a thing? I saw basically two "racks" of some generic shirts and possibly some kind of Wrangler products. This was on/around the front wall next to houseplants. This was a big open space. I thought this had a Petco department before but I may be getting my stores confused.

They did still have a few cardboard displays of Petco toys and pet beds still in this general area but no Petco signs etc. were posted other than the Petco logo on the cardboard displays.
Home Depot in Carson has Carhartt up front.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 1:47 am Are clothes at Lowes now a thing? I saw basically two "racks" of some generic shirts and possibly some kind of Wrangler products. This was on/around the front wall next to houseplants. This was a big open space. I thought this had a Petco department before but I may be getting my stores confused.

Isn't that a similar area to where holiday items are usually placed?

Maybe something to catch people looking for gifts at this time of year?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Lowe's has a huge selection of clothing on its website. Clothing is profitable for them. You can purchase online for in-store pickup.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on December 24th, 2023, 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

All of the Lowes in Portland have a Carhartt clothing display near the pro checkout. It's the right audience, just not sure people are in the frame of mind to buy clothes at Lowe's but I guess it's worth a shot.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

babs wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 7:36 pm All of the Lowes in Portland have a Carhartt clothing display near the pro checkout. It's the right audience, just not sure people are in the frame of mind to buy clothes at Lowe's but I guess it's worth a shot.
Ok, I was at Lowe's earlier today. Not only do they have the Carhartt clothing by the Pro registers, they now have some fishing line of clothing, some marked down up to 75% off in the seasonal area. It's interesting but clearly it's not moving. Kudos for trying but I don't see this working.

On a side note, they replaced all their checkstands with self checkout leaving only two staffed registers at each end of the checkout area but of course they weren't staffed.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

babs wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 7:36 pm All of the Lowes in Portland have a Carhartt clothing display near the pro checkout. It's the right audience, just not sure people are in the frame of mind to buy clothes at Lowe's but I guess it's worth a shot.
Perhaps that does make sense - busy professional workers who don't want to (or don't have time to) make extra stops to replace items they need & use regularly (and might replace more than most people, due to wear & tear and using them more often than many would)?
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

babs wrote: December 24th, 2023, 5:15 pm
On a side note, they replaced all their checkstands with self checkout leaving only two staffed registers at each end of the checkout area but of course they weren't staffed.
This has been working very well. Lowe's had crappy NCR self checkouts that didn't work and required a stationary employee on the supervising workstation. Now they have a cashier working 4 self checks like Costco does, scanning items wherever needed and leaving the customer to make payment. They move a cashier to floating between customer service, order pickup, and self checkout. They covered the self checkout labels with "checkout" signs. Since this change I have not had to wait in line at all at Lowe's, either for purchase or return and usually they assist on self checkout. They have done a fantastic job with this in SoCal, unlike Home Depot that shut down self checkout and uses the kiosks in employee mode now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I went into Lowes a couple nights ago, was probably one of about three customers total in the entire store... total morgue. Some departments of Lowes have some excellent clearance sales going on right now, and well stocked on the items. The store had new self checkout. It was a tiny kiosk like thing, reminded me of the Rite Aid self checkout- tiny scanner below the screen, one set of bags, noticed they did have Contactless payment working finally though. There were 2 other larger self checkouts. Still only 4 self checkouts total in this store. 2 were out of order I assume. There were 2 employees working at self checkout but just talked to each other the whole time. No regular registers open anywhere, not even lumber.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I went to Lowe's in the summer and the self checkout employee told me they didn't have tap.

Finally, Lowe's has tap. I heard from an NCR technician that the credit card readers are capable of tap right out of the box. However some companies tell the technicians to remove the tap feature by removing the tap chip inside the credit card reader. It takes more work to disable the tap feature.