NorCal Wendys units closed for breakfast on 1/1

storewanderer

NorCal Wendys units closed for breakfast on 1/1

Post by storewanderer »

For some reason many if not every NorCal Wendys did not open for breakfast today 1/1. They're opening at noon or 10:30. These are multiple different franchisees.

Units in Utah and Nevada are also mostly opening late and not doing breakfast today. One Reno/Sparks franchisee did open at 6 AM as usual today.

I don't think McDonalds randomly closes for breakfast on 1/1. Not sure why they're doing this. Some Chickfila also are not open for breakfast today. I suspect these chains are losing money on breakfast to be so eager to close on one day.
storewanderer

Re: NorCal Wendys units closed for breakfast on 1/1

Post by storewanderer »

It appears some McDonalds units are also closed for breakfast today but the vast majority are open. I would venture the units not open for breakfast today are losing money on breakfast.

Not an entire region worth closed like with Wendys around Sacramento or Las Vegas.

I wonder if all of these chains are having issues with the breakfast category. With labor costs going so high and breakfast being low ticket some decisions may need to be made. But the franchisor get royalties as a percentage of those low ticket sales so the franchisees probably have to continue this and hope they can make some money.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Taco Bell also didn't open until noon. My guess is that their demographic stays up late NYE and it makes little financial sense to open regular hours or they can't find employees to start that early.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

It was really quiet this morning on New Year's day. I was at Walmart and there were few customers. I also noticed few customers at the McDonald's inside Walmart. McDonald's was open for breakfast.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 1st, 2024, 9:40 pm It was really quiet this morning on New Year's day. I was at Walmart and there were few customers. I also noticed few customers at the McDonald's inside Walmart. McDonald's was open for breakfast.
I did notice it was very quiet where I was on the roads, but then by 10:30 or 11 it was quite busy.

I look for that Wendys breakfast as it is the best of the fast food breakfasts by far. If they had come up with a breakfast program 40 years ago they'd easily dominate breakfast fast food.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

storewanderer wrote: January 1st, 2024, 11:39 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: January 1st, 2024, 9:40 pm It was really quiet this morning on New Year's day. I was at Walmart and there were few customers. I also noticed few customers at the McDonald's inside Walmart. McDonald's was open for breakfast.
I did notice it was very quiet where I was on the roads, but then by 10:30 or 11 it was quite busy.

I look for that Wendys breakfast as it is the best of the fast food breakfasts by far. If they had come up with a breakfast program 40 years ago they'd easily dominate breakfast fast food.
Actually, Wendy's did start serving breakfast almost 40 years ago (1985 to be exact). It was well-liked by customers but didn't make money.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: January 1st, 2024, 11:39 pm
All they need to do is something about their coffee. It is absolutely awful and it seems they are very inconsistent in the way that is served.

(I usually do Wendy's breakfast once a week via drive thru and if you select cream and sugar for the coffee, it seems to throw them all off. Sometimes they put it in for you and other times they awkwardly hand you packets and creamer. The last time I got creamer, they poured some from some sort of bulk container into a frosty cup. Some people might prefer it that way, but then I have to pull to the side and fix up my coffee, trying not to spill everything everywhere. And I always order through the app when you can select a number of sugars, creamers, etc...apparently that doesn't translate to a particular amount at Wendy's). Half the time I just make coffee before I leave the house, but with the app coupons for a breakfast combo, the coffee is pretty much free.