7-Eleven buying large chunk of Sunoco

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

7-Eleven buying large chunk of Sunoco

Post by SamSpade »

7-Eleven will be buying up a large portion of Sunoco convenience stores so that they can focus more on other areas of the business. I feel like we may have already discussed this here, but it seems to be hitting mainstream news sources today.
Sunoco to sell 204 stores to 7-Eleven
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: 7-Eleven buying large chunk of Sunoco

Post by jamcool »

Most of those Sunoco-owned stores are in areas that there were Alon/7-11s. Most of which have been converted into DK stores by Alon’s parent DelekUSA.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

SamSpade wrote: January 11th, 2024, 2:50 pm 7-Eleven will be buying up a large portion of Sunoco convenience stores so that they can focus more on other areas of the business. I feel like we may have already discussed this here, but it seems to be hitting mainstream news sources today.
Or it may just be that they bought other Sunoco stores in the past (such as a very few here that were part of the AM/PM branding, originally from Atlantic fuels a number of years back - with their promotional commercial set to the tune that Notre Dame uses for their song).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: January 11th, 2024, 4:38 pm
SamSpade wrote: January 11th, 2024, 2:50 pm 7-Eleven will be buying up a large portion of Sunoco convenience stores so that they can focus more on other areas of the business. I feel like we may have already discussed this here, but it seems to be hitting mainstream news sources today.
Or it may just be that they bought other Sunoco stores in the past (such as a very few here that were part of the AM/PM branding, originally from Atlantic fuels a number of years back - with their promotional commercial set to the tune that Notre Dame uses for their song).
What is funny about this is this is a good portion of this, including the entire Albuquerque market, represent the old Alon/7-Eleven units and many of these were very recently debranded from 7-Eleven. I guess they can go right back to 7-Eleven again. These are very low quality, old, outdated sites. A perfect fit for 7-Eleven. A few newer sites may be mixed in there somewhere.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

I thought 7-11 already took over all of Sunoco's retail operations...I guess that was only in the Northeast at the time.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The Sunoco sites in NM are mostly in Eastern NM, adjoining Texas. In the rest of NM there is Speedway, especially in Albuquerque. I noticed in ABQ several 7-11s converted to DKs. And a bunch of ex-7-11s that are now part of some independent chain-they use the existing 7-11 signage frames-that all sell Alon fuel. And there are many Speedways-which were originally Giant stores until the Marathon takeover. There have been no Speedway-to-7-11 conversions in that area-or in the rest of NM and AZ, other than offering Big Gulps and Slurpees.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

This purchase allows 7-11 to take in the remaining part of Stripes/Laredo Taco that they do not already own, per multiple sites.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

mbz321 wrote: January 12th, 2024, 6:43 am I thought 7-11 already took over all of Sunoco's retail operations...I guess that was only in the Northeast at the time.
Not even all of them there, just the ones that were part of that AM/PM group coming from the former Atlantic fuels.

There are still many Sunoco stores that are not part of 7/11 all over this area in NY.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

That is not good news.

7-Eleven will destroy whatever is good about Sunoco.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

BillyGr wrote: January 12th, 2024, 8:19 am I thought 7-11 already took over all of Sunoco's retail operations...I guess that was only in the Northeast at the time.
Not even all of them there, just the ones that were part of that AM/PM group coming from the former Atlantic fuels.

There are still many Sunoco stores that are not part of 7/11 all over this area in NY.
[/quote]

I'm all confused how the company is divided now and who controls what. I thought all Sunoco's with APlus (a brand that came from Atlantic when Arco went away in the Northeast?) branded mini marts were company owned, and that is what 7-11 acquired, but now I have no idea as I see a few APlus units have converted to 7/11 (fuel still branded Sunoco), a few that have completely de-branded to generic 'Food Mart' status (sold to independent operators?), and others that have received a remodel with the new APlus branding. And then there were plenty others that never had APlus branding to begin with (either generic mini mart and/or mainly an auto repair facility) :?