Costco Food Court

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Costco Food Court

Post by Alpha8472 »

Costco is discontinuing the $1.50 churro and replacing it with a giant chocolate chip cookie for $2.49.

The cookie is higher priced and probably makes more of a profit. Some people say they prefer the churro.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/cos ... 607927.php
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Costco Food Court

Post by HCal »

I can't wrap my head around a cookie that contains more than a third of the daily recommended calorie intake.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think they'd be better off selling 3 packs of their bakery cookies for $1.50 or something via the food court, and not invest labor in this product.

I expect sales on this product to be slow. The churro was a light snack and churros are not always readily available elsewhere; I know any independent Mexican place sells them, as do some grocery stores (but they're usually room temperature and awful), but cookies are just flat sold everywhere you go. Most fast food places have them, most gas stations make cookies, coffee places... too many cookies.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Cookies are far too common. In fact, at AMPM you can get them for free all the time. When the local sports team wins you get a free 3 pack of cookies on the app. The Warriors always seem to win.

Costco churros were fresh and cheap. You don't miss a good thing until they are gone.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 14th, 2024, 11:35 pm Cookies are far too common. In fact, at AMPM you can get them for free all the time. When the local sports team wins you get a free 3 pack of cookies on the app. The Warriors always seem to win.

Costco churros were fresh and cheap. You don't miss a good thing until they are gone.
El Pollo Loco churros are great. Less sweet than the Jack in the Box ones.

AM PM Cookies are excellent. You just have to find a clean AM PM. Quite a few clean ones in outer suburbs of Sacramento. Recently bought a 1 piece giant Snickers cookie there, it was probably more than 750 calories, I think it cost $1.49. Really good.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I am done with the Costco food court until they find a straw that does not disintegrate before you finish your drink. The paper straws they use now are terrible.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: January 15th, 2024, 6:01 am I am done with the Costco food court until they find a straw that does not disintegrate before you finish your drink. The paper straws they use now are terrible.
They switched to some corn based straw . I haven't seen paper straws in a while.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Super S wrote: January 15th, 2024, 6:01 am I am done with the Costco food court until they find a straw that does not disintegrate before you finish your drink. The paper straws they use now are terrible.
The paper straws have been gone for a long time. The new plant fiber straws are indistinguishable from plastic.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

The key here is this cookie is ABSOLUTELY HUGE. It's basically a clone of the $3.50 Bristol Farms/Metropolitan Market "The Cookie" or Crumbl but without nuts. This cookie weighs half a pound or more. It's larger than your fist.

I have been surprised as to how many they're selling, I am seeing some customers ordering half a dozen (which is similar behavior to what I've seen at Bristol Farms).

It seems they're selling more of these than the churro. When I asked at my local Costco they said that the vendor that supplied them ended their contract.

I did try sharing one with my wife and together we could not finish it, just way too much. It's very rich, and it needs a touch of salt as it doesn't taste like they put any in which makes it overwhelmingly sweet.

I am also seeing a lot of people ordering a cup of vanilla soft serve ice cream and cutting up the cookie, making a sort of Pizookie dessert from it.

All of this hype is social media driven, as Costco could get a million posts just by changing the color of the hand soap in their restroom. People are way too obsessed over this company. When the viral posts die down it will be interesting to see if the sales keep up on this item or not. It does seem to have more positive word of mouth than the roast beef sandwich and the (now canceled) mango smoothie.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I haven't had a chance to try the cookie (the last time I went to the local Costco a couple of weeks ago they still had the churros even though the cookie had started to appear in a number of locations) but the amount of traffic on the r/costco subreddit (which is mostly filled with product recommendations and deal finding but also includes a decent amount of employee talk) is pretty heavy, with over hald a million subsribers, or more than twice as many as r/walmart. About the closest equivalent on Reddit is r/traderjoes, and that one only has slightly more than half as many subs. for comparison, r/samsclub has only a small fraction of the traffic and seems to be almost entirely employee discussion.