Dollar Tree

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dollar Tree

Post by veteran+ »

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... ce-pouches

It's Russian Roulette shopping these kinds of stores.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Dollar Tree

Post by BillyGr »

veteran+ wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 8:24 am https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... ce-pouches

Not really - the store has no way to know there is an issue with an item they sell until someone tells them.

Once they found out, they set it up so no more could be sold, even if an employee failed to physically remove them.

Note also that the same exact item was sold in other stores (including standard supermarkets), so it 100% on the ones making them, NOT those who sell the items, and could (and does) occur in any type of store.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

BillyGr wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 10:52 am
veteran+ wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 8:24 am https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... ce-pouches

Not really - the store has no way to know there is an issue with an item they sell until someone tells them.

Once they found out, they set it up so no more could be sold, even if an employee failed to physically remove them.

Note also that the same exact item was sold in other stores (including standard supermarkets), so it 100% on the ones making them, NOT those who sell the items, and could (and does) occur in any type of store.
I disagree,

It is a pattern with these types of retailers.

☮️
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

When an item scans on the POS "item cannot be sold" or "recalled item" or similar - the employee needs to understand and not sell the item.

I had this with Wal Mart on some clearance candles not long ago. They scanned on the app at $1 but when I paid they would not scan. Message came up that said recalled item do not sell. The employee came and took them and that was that. That is how it is supposed to work. I understood. I don't want recalled candles. Another time I had a shirt and same thing scanned in app $1 but then when I tried to pay it errors and came up recalled item. Again the employee came and took it and said can't sell it and shrugged and left. This one I do not understand what the recall possibly could have been but I respect the recall alert and do not want a recalled product.

I don't know how Dollar Tree's system works but my guess is the item didn't scan and the employee entered it in manually or maybe even just gave it to the customer without charging them. This is a training issue. The POS should block the sale of a recalled item and the employee should understand what a recall means and to NOT SELL the item.

POS have been able to block the sale of a recalled item and display the message "RECALLED ITEM" to the cashier for like, the past probably 30+ years now. This is not new or unique technology.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 7:13 pm When an item scans on the POS "item cannot be sold" or "recalled item" or similar - the employee needs to understand and not sell the item.

I had this with Wal Mart on some clearance candles not long ago. They scanned on the app at $1 but when I paid they would not scan. Message came up that said recalled item do not sell. The employee came and took them and that was that. That is how it is supposed to work. I understood. I don't want recalled candles. Another time I had a shirt and same thing scanned in app $1 but then when I tried to pay it errors and came up recalled item. Again the employee came and took it and said can't sell it and shrugged and left. This one I do not understand what the recall possibly could have been but I respect the recall alert and do not want a recalled product.

I don't know how Dollar Tree's system works but my guess is the item didn't scan and the employee entered it in manually or maybe even just gave it to the customer without charging them. This is a training issue. The POS should block the sale of a recalled item and the employee should understand what a recall means and to NOT SELL the item.

POS have been able to block the sale of a recalled item and display the message "RECALLED ITEM" to the cashier for like, the past probably 30+ years now. This is not new or unique technology.
And if you do happen to purchase a recalled product, at least chains like Smith’s/Kroger and Costco will notify you. I know Tractor Supply does not (even though they could very easily given you provide your phone number) because I only found out about a cat food recall when I went in the store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 9:59 pm
storewanderer wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 7:13 pm When an item scans on the POS "item cannot be sold" or "recalled item" or similar - the employee needs to understand and not sell the item.

And if you do happen to purchase a recalled product, at least chains like Smith’s/Kroger and Costco will notify you. I know Tractor Supply does not (even though they could very easily given you provide your phone number) because I only found out about a cat food recall when I went in the store.
This is true. I've received multiple recall notices from Kroger over the years, both via phone call (robocall) and via a very long message on the receipt.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

veteran+ wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 11:26 am

I disagree,

☮️
Once again, the same bad product was sold by other chains, including standard food retailers as well.

Thus, it had exactly nothing to do with the chain selling it, but rather the one making it, at least for this particular item (since it was not something made only for this chain, and thus perhaps using some particular requirements they set for it).

Dollar Tree has certainly had other products with problems before, but then again so have any number of chains of all types.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

BillyGr wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 7:50 am

I disagree,

☮️
Once again, the same bad product was sold by other chains, including standard food retailers as well.

Thus, it had exactly nothing to do with the chain selling it, but rather the one making it, at least for this particular item (since it was not something made only for this chain, and thus perhaps using some particular requirements they set for it).

Dollar Tree has certainly had other products with problems before, but then again so have any number of chains of all types.
My point is that these types of companies have a record of poor business practices that far exceed that of "normal" supermarket companies.

They continue to be sighted for these types of infractions or non compliance issues (over and over). The "degree" of these problems is more egregious than main stream operators. Their SOPs seem to be blatantly subpar.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I disagree,

☮️

The article says the product was recalled in November, but sold by Dollar Tree "weeks later" (not sure what that exactly means, an exact date would be nice).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 8:01 am

I disagree,

☮️

My point is that these types of companies have a record of poor business practices that far exceed that of "normal" supermarket companies.

They continue to be sighted for these types of infractions or non compliance issues (over and over). The "degree" of these problems is more egregious than main stream operators. Their SOPs seem to be blatantly subpar.
In the race to the bottom I feel like other retailers are getting closer and closer to this level... fast.