California Grocery Market down 4-5%??

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: California Grocery Market down 4-5%??

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: February 5th, 2024, 7:21 pm
Albertsons & Vons are $2.97 for a dozen large eggs. It's in the ad this week. There is no shortage of eggs in Southern California only Northern California.
Central Valley is having issues at egg farms too.

Supply is tight in NorCal as production has been impacted and prices have shot up. This puts pressure on SoCal supply as eggs that previously went to SoCal are now getting paid a premium price to go to NorCal instead. I think this is why stores like WinCo spike in price when things like this happen.

However, I have yet to see empty egg shelves at any NorCal Stores. Save Mart/Food Maxx has had a quantity limit of 2 on eggs for months now, maybe they never even took the signs down from when this happened in 2023.

I do find it interesting these flu outbreaks seem to be causing more problems since the "cage free" laws went into effect. Evidently it is easier to spread flu when the sick birds are able to roam freely, as opposed to isolating in a cage to stop the spread (oh memories of 2020). Who would have thought...
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: February 6th, 2024, 12:27 am I do find it interesting these flu outbreaks seem to be causing more problems since the "cage free" laws went into effect. Evidently it is easier to spread flu when the sick birds are able to roam freely, as opposed to isolating in a cage to stop the spread (oh memories of 2020). Who would have thought...
I think it works just like California's special blend of gasoline. When there is a shortage, it is contained to a few states and is therefore much more severe because the effects can't be spread out over the whole country.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

HCal wrote: February 6th, 2024, 1:22 am
storewanderer wrote: February 6th, 2024, 12:27 am I do find it interesting these flu outbreaks seem to be causing more problems since the "cage free" laws went into effect. Evidently it is easier to spread flu when the sick birds are able to roam freely, as opposed to isolating in a cage to stop the spread (oh memories of 2020). Who would have thought...
I think it works just like California's special blend of gasoline. When there is a shortage, it is contained to a few states and is therefore much more severe because the effects can't be spread out over the whole country.
It's because it is only produced at California refineries. If there are any refinery issues in California, it impacts Nevada, Arizona (except Tucson area) and St. George, Utah area. Nevada and Arizona have no gasoline refineries.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: February 6th, 2024, 12:27 am
Albertsons & Vons are $2.97 for a dozen large eggs. It's in the ad this week. There is no shortage of eggs in Southern California only Northern California.

Supply is tight in NorCal as production has been impacted and prices have shot up. This puts pressure on SoCal supply as eggs that previously went to SoCal are now getting paid a premium price to go to NorCal instead. I think this is why stores like WinCo spike in price when things like this happen.

However, I have yet to see empty egg shelves at any NorCal Stores. Save Mart/Food Maxx has had a quantity limit of 2 on eggs for months now, maybe they never even took the signs down from when this happened in 2023.

I do find it interesting these flu outbreaks seem to be causing more problems since the "cage free" laws went into effect. Evidently it is easier to spread flu when the sick birds are able to roam freely, as opposed to isolating in a cage to stop the spread (oh memories of 2020). Who would have thought...
I did see reports in January of multiple Costco locations in Northern California having no eggs. Not aware of any reports from SoCal stores.

Vons/Albertsons has had large eggs on sale every other week since Christmas between $1.97 and $2.97 for a dozen eggs. Limit 4 with digital coupon. The regular price has moved up from $2.99 to $3.49 to $3.99 over the period. I have not heard of or seen any shortages in Vons/Albertsons, Ralphs or Stater Bros. locations.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

CalItalian wrote: February 6th, 2024, 8:27 am

I did see reports in January of multiple Costco locations in Northern California having no eggs. Not aware of any reports from SoCal stores.

Vons/Albertsons has had large eggs on sale every other week since Christmas between $1.97 and $2.97 for a dozen eggs. Limit 4 with digital coupon. The regular price has moved up from $2.99 to $3.49 to $3.99 over the period. I have not heard of or seen any shortages in Vons/Albertsons, Ralphs or Stater Bros. locations.
The only place I've seen run out so far is Sam's Club, who started the day with no eggs yesterday. But the prices going up are being blamed on a shortage. Albertsons and Vons were showing the $3.99 price on their app without any sale price, digital coupons etc. yesterday but if it's in their upcoming ad then it will be interesting to see how they handle it. Costco yesterday was at $3.99 for 2 dozen but only had a very short pallet left mid-afternoon and had returned to a limit 2 policy. If they didn't get another delivery same day I expect they would have run out by 5pm rush. They did have the fancy organic brown eggs and they were $9 something, honestly I didn't pay close enough attention to see if that was for 18 or 24. All of this is SoCal, so maybe they're playing pricing games to offset shortages in NorCal or costs to ship up there? Really not sure. The weird pricing at Winco is hard to explain, one pack for $2.14 and all additional $6.80 (can't remember the exact odd change)?
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

ClownLoach wrote: February 6th, 2024, 11:05 am
CalItalian wrote: February 6th, 2024, 8:27 am

The only place I've seen run out so far is Sam's Club, who started the day with no eggs yesterday. But the prices going up are being blamed on a shortage. Albertsons and Vons were showing the $3.99 price on their app without any sale price, digital coupons etc. yesterday but if it's in their upcoming ad then it will be interesting to see how they handle it. Costco yesterday was at $3.99 for 2 dozen but only had a very short pallet left mid-afternoon and had returned to a limit 2 policy. If they didn't get another delivery same day I expect they would have run out by 5pm rush. They did have the fancy organic brown eggs and they were $9 something, honestly I didn't pay close enough attention to see if that was for 18 or 24. All of this is SoCal, so maybe they're playing pricing games to offset shortages in NorCal or costs to ship up there? Really not sure. The weird pricing at Winco is hard to explain, one pack for $2.14 and all additional $6.80 (can't remember the exact odd change)?
Look in the ad - front page middle right - that expires today. They are $2.97 a dozen at Vons/Albertsons. Limit 4. They have been for 7 days.

Here is the California egg report from Feb. 2, 2024.
https://www.capitalpress.com/nation_wor ... 0d55d.html
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

CalItalian wrote: February 6th, 2024, 12:59 pm
ClownLoach wrote: February 6th, 2024, 11:05 am
CalItalian wrote: February 6th, 2024, 8:27 am I did see reports in January of multiple Costco locations in Northern California having no eggs. Not aware of any reports from SoCal stores.

Look in the ad - front page middle right - that expires today. They are $2.97 a dozen at Vons/Albertsons. Limit 4. They have been for 7 days.

Here is the California egg report from Feb. 2, 2024.
https://www.capitalpress.com/nation_wor ... 0d55d.html
I believe you, just find it interesting that they're trying to ignore the ad price in their app. Since the ads are set up months in advance they're pretty much stuck with honoring it in store, but they can play games with the app.

This report you sent shows Southern California prices going over $5 a dozen if I am reading it correctly... And says next week is a quarter higher. That is a sudden and drastic increase.

Southern California

Prices to retailers, sales to volume buyers, USDA Grade AA white eggs in cartoons, delivered store door, cents per dozen.

Jumbo 531-544 Extra Large 527-538

Large 519-530 Medium 363-378
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Target just jumped the price to 3.99 for dozen white large eggs today in Reno.

WinCo has weird pricing at 3.96 for large but 3.22 for extra large... quantity limit of 1-2 and some ridiculous price posted after you reach limit.

Brown eggs are cheaper at both stores (3.10 at WinCo- out of stock; 2.59 at Target).
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: February 6th, 2024, 11:36 pm Target just jumped the price to 3.99 for dozen white large eggs today in Reno.

WinCo has weird pricing at 3.96 for large but 3.22 for extra large... quantity limit of 1-2 and some ridiculous price posted after you reach limit.

Brown eggs are cheaper at both stores (3.10 at WinCo- out of stock; 2.59 at Target).
If that's the case then Winco jumped significantly. They had the limit one on both last week, but it was 2.14 for large and 2.97 for extra large with wacky prices around $7 and $9 respectively for additional quantities over the limit.

Instagram account with Costco deals showed NorCal stores selling some kind of blue-green eggs for organic option because there were no brown eggs last week. They had brown in SoCal.

I think we have taken this off topic but eggs are worth discussing in a separate thread as something screwy is going on with this pricing, especially if there is no real shortage in SoCal.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

ClownLoach wrote: February 7th, 2024, 7:52 am
storewanderer wrote: February 6th, 2024, 11:36 pm Target just jumped the price to 3.99 for dozen white large eggs today in Reno.

If that's the case then Winco jumped significantly. They had the limit one on both last week, but it was 2.14 for large and 2.97 for extra large with wacky prices around $7 and $9 respectively for additional quantities over the limit.

Instagram account with Costco deals showed NorCal stores selling some kind of blue-green eggs for organic option because there were no brown eggs last week. They had brown in SoCal.

I think we have taken this off topic but eggs are worth discussing in a separate thread as something screwy is going on with this pricing, especially if there is no real shortage in SoCal.
Stater Bros took large eggs to 4.49 today. Target was sold out at 3.99. Costco looked good at 3.99 for 2 dozen and location I visited wasn't limiting, but it's a lower volume warehouse.