Sheetz having trouble gaining traction in Detroit

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
TempoNick
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Sheetz having trouble gaining traction in Detroit

Post by TempoNick »

storewanderer wrote: February 9th, 2024, 9:01 am QuikTrip is a much better operator. Sheetz is definitely a top tier operator but they're no QuikTrip. Or KwikTrip.
Sheetz is a great operator.
QuikTrip does not impress me.
KwikTrip/Star is very impressive.

Sheetz will do well in Michigan. My understanding is that the C-Store competition is very weak. Sheetz should be able to clean up there.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

TempoNick wrote: February 15th, 2024, 11:51 am
storewanderer wrote: February 9th, 2024, 9:01 am QuikTrip is a much better operator. Sheetz is definitely a top tier operator but they're no QuikTrip. Or KwikTrip.
Sheetz is a great operator.
QuikTrip does not impress me.
KwikTrip/Star is very impressive.

Sheetz will do well in Michigan. My understanding is that the C-Store competition is very weak. Sheetz should be able to clean up there.
Depends what you are looking for. For me, Quik Trip is the gold standard for my uses for a convenience store. Consistently low gas pricing, consistent restroom offering, consistent iced tea program, surprisingly good tasting food made in store (ice cream, pizza), quick service, quick payment processing, just hits on all cylinders for me. Some of the QT brand items are great- I used to like the flavor of the Rooster carbonated beverage 15 years ago, but I don't drink sugared soda products at all anymore. Not real impressed with the "bakery" items they sell. Quik Trip also has a great app, easy to use with great offers. Their online ordering is also easy to use and works well. Some locations have some grit for sure. I also notice Quik Trip locations seem to overwhelmingly attract male customers and very few female customers visit some of their locations. So there is clearly something about Quik Trip that is missing on attracting female customers.

Sheetz has a number of the elements I mention above from Quik Trip including consistently low gas pricing (in my experience), quick service, quick payment processing, but is a bit more lacking on some other areas sometimes like cleanliness, restrooms, dispensed beverage selection, and food quality.

KwikTrip/Star is an entirely different operation. I would not use them the same way I'd use a Quik Trip or Sheetz. If I had one of those in my area I'd actually purchase certain grocery items there (milk, bread, potentially produce, snacks). The "bakery" items they sell are wide in assortment and priced very aggressively around Minneapolis; they seem higher in outlying areas and not as good of a value. They are not as "fast" of an experience as I am too caught up looking around when I go into one. Their staffing levels are very high and selection of prepared food items is much greater, and the grab and go nature of how they have it set up makes it very efficient. They also have many very strong value offerings in their store every day.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Another comment I want to make about Quik Trip vs. these others like Sheetz and Wawa is Quik Trip sells Top Tier fuel (at bargain/low market prices). I do not care about Top Tier fuel personally and will use whatever, but it is recommended by some of the automakers.

This to me is another demonstration of Quik Trip's commitment to product quality.
TempoNick
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by TempoNick »

I think Sheetz is more inviting for women for some reason. Maybe it's the decor, or maybe it's because their stores are in the type of areas where women feel safe. I don't know, but I don't think there is a hesitation for women to go inside.

I don't care about top tier either. Maybe if I had a $120,000 BMW it would be more of an issue, but I'm fine with any kind of gasoline. They all come from the same refineries anyway.

You're right about Kwik Trip/Kwik Star being another animal. They are indeed more like a smaller grocery store. I was on a road trip and grabbed some of their baked goods. They were absolutely delicious. I've been a fan ever since.