Stores That Still Don't Have EMV

Alpha8472

Stores That Still Don't Have EMV

Post by Alpha8472 »

I went to FedEx Office today and they still don't have EMV. You have to swipe your card. They stick a cardboard sign in the chip card slot to block you from using chip cards.

This doesn't seem very good. Fedex charges so much to overnight even the smallest items. One thin envelope was over $32 just to the next city. What a rip off if you have few other options.
storewanderer

Re: Stores That Still Don't Have EMV

Post by storewanderer »

Many restaurants still do not have EMV (sit down).

Many 7-Eleven locations still do not have EMV at the pump. They seem to slowly be replacing pumps/adding it. There was recently a skimming case involving them around Reno. They are basically the only gas stations around that don't have EMV at the pump yet. I still run into some rural gas stations that don't have EMV at the pump (all unbranded or Valero branded) around NorCal. I think most of the major oil brands at this point will not even support a station without EMV for pay at the pump.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 10th, 2024, 10:56 pm I went to FedEx Office today and they still don't have EMV. You have to swipe your card. They stick a cardboard sign in the chip card slot to block you from using chip cards.

This doesn't seem very good. Fedex charges so much to overnight even the smallest items. One thin envelope was over $32 just to the next city. What a rip off if you have few other options.
Was it a franchise or a corporate location? I know for a certainty that I was able to use tap to pay last year at a corporate location.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: February 11th, 2024, 11:11 am
Alpha8472 wrote: February 10th, 2024, 10:56 pm I went to FedEx Office today and they still don't have EMV. You have to swipe your card. They stick a cardboard sign in the chip card slot to block you from using chip cards.

Was it a franchise or a corporate location? I know for a certainty that I was able to use tap to pay last year at a corporate location.
A location I use is corporate and it accepts tap (at one of the registers- doesn't at another one) or swipe, but no EMV. I thought a different location (also corporate) that I went to had EMV back in 2022... I don't think they are terribly concerned with fraud as many transactions require ID regardless of method of payment, but they really need to upgrade.

Another good one is Charter/Spectrum. Go to their physical location to pay a bill. They have pinpads. They take your card and hand key it in the system rather than running through the pinpad. I have asked about the pinpads and was told "those are for future use."
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The location that I went to was a corporate location. I don't believe this location had tap to pay.

I did notice that the other nearby FedEx Office location relocated in the past year or so to a smaller location. FedEx Office used to have big stores, but now they seem to be downsizing to tiny storefront locations. The hours of operation are also reduced. They used to have 24 hour stores, but now they close at 8 on weekdays and 6 on the weekends.

I was shocked that the store was so busy on a Saturday. Their business is strong despite their high prices.

UPS stores are smaller and have even more limited hours. The UPS Stores have really early last pickup times. FedEx is better if you need stuff shipped that day.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

I'm guessing you haven't used them in awhile. Kinkos had 24 hour locations but Fedex put an end to that after they acquired them. All the overnight services are expensive.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 11th, 2024, 2:05 pm
I was shocked that the store was so busy on a Saturday. Their business is strong despite their high prices.
Busy with people utilizing their in-store services, or just dropping off/picking up packages though? Around me, there are definitely fewer FedEx stores than UPS, so the ones that there are, always seem to have steady business.

I sell on eBay on the side, and FedEx sometimes comes out to be less expensive when shipping heavy items long distances. (I can drop FedEx packages off at Walgreens too, which is more convenient on my commute to work, but tracking down a worker with their scan gun and the driver pickup sometimes isn't timely.)
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: February 11th, 2024, 12:21 pm
Another good one is Charter/Spectrum. Go to their physical location to pay a bill. They have pinpads. They take your card and hand key it in the system rather than running through the pinpad. I have asked about the pinpads and was told "those are for future use."
I never realized you could do that. If someone has a card, why can't they pay online?

My guess is there are simply not enough people doing this to justify bothering with card readers of any type.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: February 12th, 2024, 10:39 pm
I never realized you could do that. If someone has a card, why can't they pay online?

My guess is there are simply not enough people doing this to justify bothering with card readers of any type.
You can pay by phone too but I was exchanging equipment so I figured I'd just pay the bill while I was there.

They have the card readers... just not using them... it is like they are there for show...
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

HCal wrote: February 12th, 2024, 10:39 pm

Could be - they also offer the option to pay their bill in cash at these locations (knowing that from a neighbor who we went there to do that a couple times due to issues with their cards/checking account as they would normally have used).