Lack of Whole Foods North County San Diego

California. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Lack of Whole Foods North County San Diego

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: February 27th, 2024, 9:42 am
magowan wrote: February 27th, 2024, 7:11 am Good info, forgot about how Frazier has the far north end covered and Cardiff handling the coast. Leaves inner Carlsbad or Encinitas as the white space.

Amazes me the Gelsons in Del Mar is a strong performer. It's typically a ghost town inside and there's rarely activity in the sushi / to-go area.

The fresh meats/seafood are pretty unremarkable, more like what you'd find in a 'good' Vons. Same for the cheese and liquor. Guess they have enough overpriced shelf stable items in the center of the store to make it do well.

Speaking of Vons, the Solana Beach location got the upgraded Pavilion's like meats and seafood (Snake River, etc) in the last month.
I think the standards for what makes a "good store" for Gelsons are pretty low in general. None of them are ever all that busy, but they have a loyal customer base that buys full baskets at high, high prices. I've never been impressed with their meat or seafood in any of their stores, some locations like Irvine never even had a service case although they did sometimes have a butcher behind the low case of prepackaged meats. They also usually outsource the bakery counter. Their produce is usually both spectacular in quality as well as even more spectacular in how high the prices are. The deli seems to specialize in dishes that I am not interested in, like fancy pasta salads and smoked fish. It is a strange store that just does not appeal to me, nor a store I can afford to shop.

The Gelsons customer skews older and very rich. I should warn I might be mixing up the Del Mar and the La Jolla Gelsons as to which is the top in their relatively new SD County market, but they both were considered "strong" while the La Costa location was "weak" and problematic from day one. La Costa was physically downsized by Gelsons because of its low volume, a gymnastics place took over about a third of the store. When Haggen had all these sites, Del Mar was their best store in California (not saying much).

Also, I believe Gelsons acquires their sites whenever possible. I believe they even own the Irvine location despite being an Irvine Company property (it isn't unprecedented for them to sell sites, Home Depot owns their own building at Woodbury Town Center too). So they have a pretty decent private equity owner that self finances the costs of acquiring these buildings and doesn't try to bleed the stores of cash by charging them rent like an Apollo or Blackstone type owner would. Thus the stores do not need a lot of volume to become very, very profitable with customers who like to buy weird $15 jars of spaghetti sauce and $13 pints of fancy ice cream along with a $100 floral arrangement to put in the foyer this week.
My experience as well with Gelson's (and also Jensen's in the Desert).

The value balance (price vs service vs quality vs variety) is way off. Service up front is subpar for the price. Variety, for lack of a better word, un-modern. Perhaps old school gourmet? It's just plain boring and does not match the upscale current palate.

When you charge those prices you better deliver better than Bristol Farms (the one on Beverly & Doheny in West Hollywood at least).
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Agreed vis-a-vis Gelsons/Jensens in the Coachella Valley. We live walking distance to Jensens in Palm Springs---I'll stroll over Sunday AM for the newspaper and a browse through the deli---there are a few excellent products (their Thai noodle salad is amazing) and the prices for deli are not worse than Albervons full price (and their sale prices are equivalent to Albervons sale pricing--a couple $$ off/pound of D&W).

We generally hit Gelsons once during a month visit---if nothing else at lunch time (they have a good lunch special---counter made sandwich plus a nice serving of a $15.99 pasta/fruit/potato/slaw salad for about $11...sandwiches are big enough for 2. I don't buy much else but poke through their clearance and sale tagged items and always find $20-30 of stuff at attractive prices ( found some interesting non-alcoholic cocktail mixers when we were there last week at 75% off).

And you're right---there is a loyal following for both stores of people blithely unconcerned and unaware with the pricing...very reminiscent of Straub's in St. Louis (which is not a market lacking in upper-end conventional grocery stores)...old time-y service; in-house charge accounts, big catering business)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Gelsons seems to have a niche customer but nothing I've ever tried there has impressed me. I've tried various fresh products. I've never gotten anything bad, but everything is just okay. I don't think I've ever waited in line for check out and the interactions have ranged from very professional to polite indifference. Stores are always neat and clean. I think they have operations down very well, but the quality/price mix doesn't add up for me or even come close.

I really liked their remodel to the Pacific Beach Store though.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: February 28th, 2024, 12:59 am Gelsons seems to have a niche customer but nothing I've ever tried there has impressed me. I've tried various fresh products. I've never gotten anything bad, but everything is just okay. I don't think I've ever waited in line for check out and the interactions have ranged from very professional to polite indifference. Stores are always neat and clean. I think they have operations down very well, but the quality/price mix doesn't add up for me or even come close.

I really liked their remodel to the Pacific Beach Store though.
Yep I don't get it. I always found Bristol Farms appealing and would see many items I wished I could afford, but Gelsons I would rarely be interested in much of anything. Until I found out they owned their Irvine building I couldn't figure out how they kept the doors open, which is even crazier in the light of Bristol's high profile flop nearby in a store that was much busier. Laguna Beach (former Albertsons/Haggen) is also dead all the time and has another store just down PCH a few blocks in Dana Point. They haven't really remodeled Laguna Beach other than wall decor, it still looked the way Haggen left it almost a decade ago last time I was in. They are very slow stores, but then when you watch you see the few customers that are there buying incredible amounts of expensive center store items. Last time I went I bought one item that was hard to find elsewhere and waited behind two customers each with a full cart. One spent about $400, the other $600 (they had a couple of expensive wines). It does not take very many customers to keep such a store afloat. Zero price consciousness.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

ClownLoach wrote: February 27th, 2024, 9:42 am
The Gelsons customer skews older and very rich. I should warn I might be mixing up the Del Mar and the La Jolla Gelsons as to which is the top in their relatively new SD County market, but they both were considered "strong" while the La Costa location was "weak" and problematic from day one. La Costa was physically downsized by Gelsons because of its low volume, a gymnastics place took over about a third of the store. When Haggen had all these sites, Del Mar was their best store in California (not saying much).
The Gelson's in La Jolla you are talking about is really Pacific Beach. That one was originally a 60s model Alpha Beta. I believe this store had the PF&H v1 interior before Haggen bought it. I'm not sure what interior the Pacific Beach Albertsons had before then, maybe @rwsandiego knows.

La Costa was planned by Lucky, but delayed due to irrigation issues with the land site, and ultimately opened by Albertsons right after the strike. This one originally had a high-end version of the Jewel interior, but was remodeled by SVU in 2012 to PF&H v2 before winding up in the hands of Haggen. The demographics in La Costa aren't prime territory for Gelson's, it is upper middle class, not exactly wealthy like La Jolla or Del Mar.

Del Mar was formerly a Big Bear market (which Albertsons bought in 1994). As Albertsons, this store had the high-end version of the Jewel interior like La Costa. SVU also remodeled this one. I believe Del Mar was one of the highest volume Albertsons within San Diego County. I suspect this store was divested because the alternative would've been divesting 2 Vons (Solana Beach and Del Mar Heights). Had this Albertsons stayed through the Safeway merger, this would be a prime candidate for a Pavilions conversion. But I'd think the Del Mar Heights Vons is going be converted to Pavilions eventually. I have friends near the Del Mar Gelson's that still refer to it as "Albertsons".
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

veteran+ wrote: February 27th, 2024, 11:26 am

The value balance (price vs service vs quality vs variety) is way off. Service up front is subpar for the price. Variety, for lack of a better word, un-modern. Perhaps old school gourmet? It's just plain boring and does not match the upscale current palate.

When you charge those prices you better deliver better than Bristol Farms (the one on Beverly & Doheny in West Hollywood at least).
Does anyone know who supplies Gelson's? I don't think I've seen Supervalu or C&S brands there. Are they just buying directly from manufacturers in small quantities at over-inflated prices?

I agree with everyone that the value proposition is not there. Center store seems like Ralphs products at Bristol Farms prices. The prepared food is a bit better but hardly worth a trip.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

HCal wrote: February 28th, 2024, 6:42 pm Does anyone know who supplies Gelson's? I don't think I've seen Supervalu or C&S brands there. Are they just buying directly from manufacturers in small quantities at over-inflated prices?

I agree with everyone that the value proposition is not there. Center store seems like Ralphs products at Bristol Farms prices. The prepared food is a bit better but hardly worth a trip.
Gelsons is the kind of store that doesn't carry low-label house brands. Either it's going to be their name on it or a name brand. They are the favored market of celebrities, etc. Their customers are not price sensitive or have other reasons (location/transportation) for choosing them.

See:
AJ's Fine Foods / Phoenix, Aza. area
Zupans Markets / Portland, Ore. area
Met(ropolitan) Market / Puget Sound, Wash.
Boise Co-op / Boise, (and Meridian) Ida.
"The Store," Harmon's Emigration Market, "The Market at Park City," / Utah
Nugget Markets, Nob Hill Foods / Nor Cal
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

HCal wrote: February 28th, 2024, 6:42 pm

Does anyone know who supplies Gelson's? I don't think I've seen Supervalu or C&S brands there. Are they just buying directly from manufacturers in small quantities at over-inflated prices?

Don't know their supplier but whom ever it is does not seem to provide the proper variety (feels very limited). Center store needs more than gourmet items for your typical "gourmets" of the world.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: February 29th, 2024, 8:58 am
HCal wrote: February 28th, 2024, 6:42 pm

Don't know their supplier but whom ever it is does not seem to provide the proper variety (feels very limited). Center store needs more than gourmet items for your typical "gourmets" of the world.
I know they self distribute but unsure who supplies past that. They built a large DC in Santa Fe Springs (border of LA and OC along I-5). They have their own trucks.

All I am going to say is that we don't have to like it. They obviously have enough customers in the vast majority of their locations to make a profit and keep the doors open. I don't get the concept, but then there are other similar quasi-gourmet formats I don't understand either like Barons Market which keep plodding along. Few customers but big tickets keep labor costs down. Older customers don't demand constant expensive remodels to the latest decor trend, they just want a clean store and the weird oddities that keep them coming in. The only common thread seems to be high quality, organic and/or exotic produce.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Gelson's has long supplied through Certified Grocers, then Unified, then Supervalu, then UNFI. I don't think they have Springfield/Essential Everyday products but there may be a random can of something or a random item on the paper product aisle. I think the self distribution is more for perishables but may do some specialty/gourmet center store.

Baron's has some good deals, I've always picked up a few things when I go into one of their stores and would look forward to returning. Gelson's really is a place I would return to but feel pretty neutral about doing so.