Macys Union Square closing

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Macys Union Square closing

Post by veteran+ »

Dillards is not a metropolitan, cosmopolitan or "upscale" type of store, even comparing to the worst Macy's store. They just do not have the product for that particular cachet.

An idea would be for Dillards to take over Macy's stores where Macy's should NEVER have been in the first place. Not gonna happen but...................................

You are correct about that over expansion and the concurrent dilution of the Macy's brand.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

[/quote]

The problem is that outside of small local markets like Palmdale there is little awareness in LA. They would have to spend a fortune on advertising in the 2nd most expensive ad market in the US (1st being NY). They would have to open dozens of stores to offset just the advertising costs... And don't forget the incredible expense of construction and remodeling today, assuming they can find quality former JCP, Macy's, Sears, or Nordstrom buildings available in quality malls that aren't going to be leveled in the next few years. They would need at least twenty stores to offset the advertising costs and still expect to lose money for a decade. You're talking about a multi billion dollar investment just to get into the core LA/OC/IE/Ventura/SB market. If it doesn't go perfectly it bankrupts the entire chain and it liquidates. They aren't going to come to LA or any other high cost of operation market. Macy's successfully squeezed them out in the 90's and prevented their expansion. What I would agree on is that if they had been able to overcome the blockade on space I think the malls with Macy's and Dillards (and either a JCP or Nordstrom depending on clientele) would greatly outperform those without a Dillards. I bet Macy's regrets this decision today.
[/quote]

You're absolutely right---3 mid-to-upper-tier anchors in this day and age are really the minimum table stakes for a relevant mid-market mall. If I were a mall developer with a Macys/JCP/Dillards mall (even small market) or Macys/Nordstrom/Dillards in a wealther exurban area you'd see reasonable stability for the next 10 years. It's when you start getting hole-plugging with a non-standard box (2 story WM/Target/Kohls/... comes mainly to mind) that things will get squirrelly for the developers.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 4th, 2024, 8:18 am Dillards is not a metropolitan, cosmopolitan or "upscale" type of store, even comparing to the worst Macy's store. They just do not have the product for that particular cachet.

An idea would be for Dillards to take over Macy's stores where Macy's should NEVER have been in the first place. Not gonna happen but...................................

You are correct about that over expansion and the concurrent dilution of the Macy's brand.
You may want to pay more attention to the women's shoe category and women's handbag category at Dillard's, and talk to some customers/employees about it. They are absolutely upscale on those categories and have a high volume of sales. They have had a consistent offer on these categories over the years. Unlike Macy's who plays a lot of games as to what store sells what, changing department sizes, understaffed departments, etc. etc. Inconsistent except at the very best of their stores.

Dillard's also has various higher end clothing brands but this is variable by store and I don't think it sells much (certainly not in Reno- I've watched them pull a lot of brands out of the store over the years).

Again there are reasons why Macy's was so scared of Dillard's trying to move into CA in the 90's. It isn't the whole package that they were ever afraid of, but there are departments that are strong, departments that mean enough to make them a threat.

There is also generally a common beauty category (service counter) offer at both Dillard's and Macys- most of the same brands.

Fashion eye wear (sunglasses) - again- same thing... common offer at the two.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: March 5th, 2024, 12:34 am
veteran+ wrote: March 4th, 2024, 8:18 am Dillards is not a metropolitan, cosmopolitan or "upscale" type of store, even comparing to the worst Macy's store. They just do not have the product for that particular cachet.

You may want to pay more attention to the women's shoe category and women's handbag category at Dillard's, and talk to some customers/employees about it. They are absolutely upscale on those categories and have a high volume of sales. They have had a consistent offer on these categories over the years. Unlike Macy's who plays a lot of games as to what store sells what, changing department sizes, understaffed departments, etc. etc. Inconsistent except at the very best of their stores.

Dillard's also has various higher end clothing brands but this is variable by store and I don't think it sells much (certainly not in Reno- I've watched them pull a lot of brands out of the store over the years).

Again there are reasons why Macy's was so scared of Dillard's trying to move into CA in the 90's. It isn't the whole package that they were ever afraid of, but there are departments that are strong, departments that mean enough to make them a threat.

There is also generally a common beauty category (service counter) offer at both Dillard's and Macys- most of the same brands.

I guess I will have to look at other departments at Dillards.

There was nothing for me in the men's area, nothing.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: March 5th, 2024, 8:08 am

I have been in only a couple of Dillards stores but found them both to be very different from one another, which indicates to me that they heavily alter their assortment to the local market and customer. That is something that Macy's has absolutely failed at despite also having a great deal of variation between locations. I worked for a retailer that used to have a very specific dress code and I was having to try to find compliant short sleeve shirts online because nobody stocked them in store here. Went on a trip to Las Vegas and Dillards had multiple brands of shirt in the correct style, color and short sleeve (I was roasting in Long sleeves). I wound up buying everything they had and ordering more as their house brand was better than anything I had bought elsewhere online and cheaper too.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

We've had some good luck with men's big and tall at Franklin Park/Toledo at Dillards. They seem to have a reasonable selection of better and designer at that store (including long neckties---surprisingly difficult to find).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 5th, 2024, 8:30 am
veteran+ wrote: March 5th, 2024, 8:08 am

I have been in only a couple of Dillards stores but found them both to be very different from one another, which indicates to me that they heavily alter their assortment to the local market and customer. That is something that Macy's has absolutely failed at despite also having a great deal of variation between locations. I worked for a retailer that used to have a very specific dress code and I was having to try to find compliant short sleeve shirts online because nobody stocked them in store here. Went on a trip to Las Vegas and Dillards had multiple brands of shirt in the correct style, color and short sleeve (I was roasting in Long sleeves). I wound up buying everything they had and ordering more as their house brand was better than anything I had bought elsewhere online and cheaper too.
The Roundtree and York and "Gold Label" short sleeved dress shirts are excellent and they stay good for a long time. Not only the short sleeved nature of the shirts but the material in general seems to breathe better. I never understood why I couldn't find comparable items at Macys... I've sent many coworkers to Dillards for dress shirts over the years who came to me upset after going to Macys and not being happy with what was available, or complaints on the fit/quality of what Macys had, or the sleeve of their trash quality supposed name brand from Macys dress shirt ripping when they stretched...