Gov Newsom leaves Panera Exempt from CA Min Wage?

ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Gov Newsom leaves Panera Exempt from CA Min Wage?

Post by ClownLoach »

I know it has been speculated as to how exactly Panera wound up with a special exemption to the CA fast food minimum wage. It is now being alleged a key franchisee donated heavily to Gov. Newsom, and he rewarded them with the exemption.

I normally would try to avoid a political post but this is legitimately newsworthy especially if the allegations are true.

https://ktla.com/news/california/panera ... ports/amp/
storewanderer

Re: Gov Newsom leaves Panera Exempt from CA Min Wage?

Post by storewanderer »

Flynn is also a large Applebee's franchisee.

They have Wendys elsewhere in the US but not in CA.

I love the sausage comment by Newsom.

The articles also don't mention that the restaurant had to sell loaves of bread as of some date before the law was passed... so places can't now turn around and start selling bread and get out of the law.

However I also question if it is a good idea for Panera to be paying below the $20 anyway. It would seek paying less than McDonalds etc. would severely impact quality of operation. But I could say the same for grocery store delis.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

It gets better... Now that they're in the hotseat for this behavior, suddenly they're claiming Panera is not exempt. I find this to be fascinating backpedaling because way too many news sources have reported the exemption. The law is so complicated that a lawyer or two had to have come to the conclusion Panera is exempted. And if they were not going to be exempt then why didn't the Governor immediately say they weren't when questioned about it? He seemed to have his "sausage making" answer immediately as to why they were exempt.

https://la.eater.com/2024/3/1/24087062/ ... -9SpabVqug
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 1st, 2024, 11:17 am It gets better... Now that they're in the hotseat for this behavior, suddenly they're claiming Panera is not exempt. I find this to be fascinating backpedaling because way too many news sources have reported the exemption. The law is so complicated that a lawyer or two had to have come to the conclusion Panera is exempted. And if they were not going to be exempt then why didn't the Governor immediately say they weren't when questioned about it? He seemed to have his "sausage making" answer immediately as to why they were exempt.

https://la.eater.com/2024/3/1/24087062/ ... -9SpabVqug
This is just outright dishonest by the spokesperson from the governor's office attempting to redirect the narrative that has developed. The Governor already confirmed that Panera is exempt as part of the "sausage" process. And obviously anyone who has been to a Panera sees they bake loaves of bread in store and sell loaves of bread in store for off premise consumption so they are obviously exempt from this law. So why is the governor's office spokesperson lying about this?

Still enjoying the sausage quote. Sometimes these folks say things that are truthful.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

So now Flynn group is saying that they're raising their wage to $20 "regardless of whether the law applies or not?"

So basically they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, worse the Governor confirmed the Panera exception, and now everyone is trying to pretend like it never happened!

https://ktla.com/news/california/panera ... -backlash/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 6th, 2024, 12:56 pm So now Flynn group is saying that they're raising their wage to $20 "regardless of whether the law applies or not?"

So basically they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, worse the Governor confirmed the Panera exception, and now everyone is trying to pretend like it never happened!

https://ktla.com/news/california/panera ... -backlash/
Flynn has only a couple dozen Panera units in CA (other franchisees have most of the Panera units)- so what about those other Panera franchisees?

Is there some other chain that bakes bread in store and would have lobbied for this? I don't think there are. Chains like Great Harvest or 85c classify as a "bakery" as opposed to a "fast food restaurant." And I'm not sure either even have the unit count to be subject to the law in the first place.

This will be covered up as usual. Nothing to see here. Even though Governor was completely honest with his "sausage" process confirming it was "part of the process." Could have been more straightforward and direct, but he was completely honest. Most people know this is how things work but why they accept it and are okay with it continues to be a mystery to me. And the subsequent attempts by Governor's "office" and "staff" to cover the thing up should ignite people and anger them and demand direct, straightforward answers. But it doesn't seem to work that way. Guarantee if Trump had made some deal with a business owned by a donor on legislation and then this sausage comment it would absolutely be clarified and on TV news/late night shows 24/7 what he did.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I could theoretically see Jimmy John's trying to claim an exemption as they have sold their leftover bread from the day before for something like 50¢ per loaf for some time, but I suspect the resulting "bad optics" would outweigh any cost savings that might result from it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: March 6th, 2024, 7:38 pm I could theoretically see Jimmy John's trying to claim an exemption as they have sold their leftover bread from the day before for something like 50¢ per loaf for some time, but I suspect the resulting "bad optics" would outweigh any cost savings that might result from it.
Also just bad business to be paying less than the minimum wage at competitors. Quality of labor and efficiency would be impacted adversely by any chain who tried to use this bread exemption to pay a lower wage. I know there are also other elements to the law than just a higher wage so I guess in theory some operators could pay the higher wage but not follow other elements of the law.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

"Guarantee if Trump had made some deal with a business owned by a donor on legislation and then this sausage comment it would absolutely be clarified and on TV news/late night shows 24/7 what he did."

That is not how it works.

Can we not go down this political thing?

☮️
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 7th, 2024, 8:24 am "Guarantee if Trump had made some deal with a business owned by a donor on legislation and then this sausage comment it would absolutely be clarified and on TV news/late night shows 24/7 what he did."

That is not how it works.

Can we not go down this political thing?

☮️
How it works is there needs to be accountability for what is in this law with this selling loaves of bread exemption and how/why it got there. I don't care who is involved or why or how or who donated to who. The "sausage" comment is an honest answer but needs more information and context. That isn't happening here.

And yes I know this is how they all do it with these laws. There is always sausage...