Gelsons Laguna Beach closing

California. No non-grocery posts.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Gelsons Laguna Beach closing

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 8:53 pm...
Pacific Beach Garnet Albertsons received an early Supervalu Premium Fresh & Healthy remodel that looked nice but kept the tiny department sizes...
Thanks for that. I rarely shopped at that store, so my memory is a little fuzzy. They might have redecorated that store when they redecorated Coronado, which became a Smart & Final Extra. Not sure Gelson's was thinking when they didn't buy the Coronado store. Very affluent area that could have supported a Gelson's.

The PB store is really very well done. I don't see why Kroger can't have nice decor like that. It's a pretty simple, yet pretty, design. Can't cost more than the dreadful decor Kroger often uses.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 6:30 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 8:53 pm...
Pacific Beach Garnet Albertsons received an early Supervalu Premium Fresh & Healthy remodel that looked nice but kept the tiny department sizes...
Thanks for that. I rarely shopped at that store, so my memory is a little fuzzy. They might have redecorated that store when they redecorated Coronado, which became a Smart & Final Extra. Not sure Gelson's was thinking when they didn't buy the Coronado store. Very affluent area that could have supported a Gelson's.

The PB store is really very well done. I don't see why Kroger can't have nice decor like that. It's a pretty simple, yet pretty, design. Can't cost more than the dreadful decor Kroger often uses.
Coronado was also really nicely remodeled by Supervalu (a shame that is a Smart & Final now... wonder how that survives).

Kroger and interiors have not been a good thing for quite some time. Someone must think the interiors look nice. I am not sure who. With the resources Kroger has, number of stores the interior would be applied over, they should be able to do something better than a tiny SoCal chain like Gelson's can do.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 9:46 pm...Coronado was also really nicely remodeled by Supervalu (a shame that is a Smart & Final now... wonder how that survives)...
My guess is that three things factor into S&F's success in Coronado: 1) People commuting from the naval base to other parts of metro San Diego, 2) Tourists who want to stick their nearby airbnb's, and 3) wealthy people like a deal, too - helps 'em remain wealthy. Additionally, let's face it: Albertson's (and Lucky before the name switch) wasn't exactly Dean and Deluca.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: March 6th, 2024, 6:31 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 9:46 pm...Coronado was also really nicely remodeled by Supervalu (a shame that is a Smart & Final now... wonder how that survives)...
My guess is that three things factor into S&F's success in Coronado: 1) People commuting from the naval base to other parts of metro San Diego, 2) Tourists who want to stick their nearby airbnb's, and 3) wealthy people like a deal, too - helps 'em remain wealthy. Additionally, let's face it: Albertson's (and Lucky before the name switch) wasn't exactly Dean and Deluca.
I don't think it is successful though; the store has a very low customer count from what I've seen.

The other issue is Smart & Final isn't really even any deal...

Vons would be a better deal a lot of the time...
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

I don't get why S&F is there, either. Should have been sold to Gelson's or Lazy Acres or anyone else, really. Even a Ralphs-ette like the one in Point Loma would have been good.
storewanderer wrote: March 6th, 2024, 6:43 pm...

True, but when your priorities are getting a few cases of beer and snacks plus dozens of red plastic cups and you are staying on the bay side of Coronado, you go to the closest store, which is Smart and Final.
(Not "you @storewanderer ", of course.)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: March 6th, 2024, 9:48 pm I don't get why S&F is there, either. Should have been sold to Gelson's or Lazy Acres or anyone else, really. Even a Ralphs-ette like the one in Point Loma would have been good.
storewanderer wrote: March 6th, 2024, 6:43 pm...

True, but when your priorities are getting a few cases of beer and snacks plus dozens of red plastic cups and you are staying on the bay side of Coronado, you go to the closest store, which is Smart and Final.
(Not "you @storewanderer ", of course.)
Maybe it is useful for some independent restaurants there too... in Reno, Smart & Final "Extra" is completely like a F grade F4L Store but has quite a bit of items, just terrible checkout and high prices; but I guess in parts of CA it still does a lot of food service business.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: March 6th, 2024, 6:43 pm I don't think it is successful though; the store has a very low customer count from what I've seen.

Smart & Final is good for its consistency. The prices aren't great, but they aren't terrible. With Vons you have to be careful to shop sales or J4U deals, or you might get majorly ripped off. Smart & Final also seems to have less problems with out-of-stocks than most other stores. So therefore, it's popular with food trucks, taquerias, and small restaurants. It's reliable, consistent, and has okay-ish pricing.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

HCal wrote: March 11th, 2024, 2:43 am
storewanderer wrote: March 6th, 2024, 6:43 pm I don't think it is successful though; the store has a very low customer count from what I've seen.

Smart & Final is good for its consistency. The prices aren't great, but they aren't terrible. With Vons you have to be careful to shop sales or J4U deals, or you might get majorly ripped off. Smart & Final also seems to have less problems with out-of-stocks than most other stores. So therefore, it's popular with food trucks, taquerias, and small restaurants. It's reliable, consistent, and has okay-ish pricing.
I think Smart & Final really isn't serious about the food service business these days, certainly not what it used to be. Where I have to give them credit is that they've successfully replaced nearly every original location that I am aware of by moving from off-the-beaten-path industrial type spots to closed supermarkets without going bankrupt. That is quite a feat which indicates that they have successfully followed the Costco model of moving from a largely industrial business to a largely consumer business. Their actual food service assortment is not great anymore but as mentioned here a small cafe or food truck can mostly operate from them. There is no question they do far more business now than twenty years ago as they made this shift. They were trying it for a long time with new prototypes, different names (SmartCo) and other experiments that failed but maybe they were ahead of their time? They are still expanding and seem to be able to properly invest in remodels and other capital intensive projects. Although they're not for everyone, I do have a few items I buy there out of convenience or difficulty finding elsewhere and I usually walk out having bought more than I expected. All good signs for their long term longevity.

There are many locations that S&F should not have been able to survive in where they replaced a upper tier mainstream market, usually a nicer Albertsons. But they are there and doing fine. Carlsbad Village (although redevelopment looms over it), Coronado, Santa Barbara upper State St, and more.

I think ten years from now they will be nearly 100% consumer business due to the gaping hole in the market left by the mass consolidation of the big grocery chains, and the desire by the consumer for more choices.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

The ones around me are awful yet still open and seem busy.

The one in West Hollywood on Santa Monica Bl. was a new build way back (1992). Very pretty architecture (unique).

It looks 100 years old now. Dirty inside and out. Strange interior layout and maze like.

ZERO customer service and negative attitudes.

Seems to be a lower class clientele.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They strike me as a step or two below Food 4 Less, but with more "large" size items.

Their product mix in center store seems to keep getting better and better but still isn't great. I don't think their pricing is good at all, but a lot of people seem to think it is pretty good, and perception is everything.

I also don't find many hot specials there. When I go in, about 50/50 if I walk out with any purchases. And if those purchases total more than a few dollars that is something. I find this place even less effective at getting me to buy things than Save Mart.