Sheetz eliminating soft serve machines in stores

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Sheetz eliminating soft serve machines in stores

Post by Brian Lutz »

At the local Sheetz today I saw that the soft serve machines in the store were no longer available, with signs indicating that they are being removed from all Sheetz stores, and will be replaced with some other unspecified item in the future. One report on Reddit claims that they'll be replacing these with popcorn machines, but given the way Sheetz stores around here tend to be run my expectation is that they will be left in place for at least a year before just being removed entirely and replaced with nothing.
storewanderer

Re: Sheetz eliminating soft serve machines in stores

Post by storewanderer »

Quik Trip added soft serve to make milkshakes (great milkshake... fast food level... 1.49 mini is perfect size) but it is behind the food service counter.

Maverik took out its soft serve yogurt machines a number of years ago. I was disappointed by that. They replaced the space with iced tea equipment. This equipment is hit or miss on if it is still present in the store, and then if it is present in the store hit or miss on if they actually use it/brew tea, then it is further hit or miss how that tea they make may actually taste. A few locations I know of run the program properly, and it can be a good product. I enjoy it with the pebble/crushed ice. That is, if the pebble ice/crushed ice at Maverik is actually working since it has been broken for over a year now at one of these locations I go to and buy the iced tea......... Never any of these issues when purchasing iced tea at Quik Trip.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Sad news, I always liked getting ice cream from those.

Now what is the reason as to this phase-out? Cost may not be as likely since another prepared foods machine (popcorn) is slated to replace soft-serve ice cream, it's not like those are being converted to more product displays or pickup lockers as is en vogue.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BatteryMill wrote: March 10th, 2024, 7:40 pm Sad news, I always liked getting ice cream from those.

Now what is the reason as to this phase-out? Cost may not be as likely since another prepared foods machine (popcorn) is slated to replace soft-serve ice cream, it's not like those are being converted to more product displays or pickup lockers as is en vogue.
Maverik removed their machines due to slow sales and high labor involved to clean/repair the machines.

Some c-store chains do the frozen yogurt by the pound thing. RaceTrac, OnCue in OK, for example. Sales look slow.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

storewanderer wrote: March 10th, 2024, 8:29 pm
BatteryMill wrote: March 10th, 2024, 7:40 pm Sad news, I always liked getting ice cream from those.

Maverik removed their machines due to slow sales and high labor involved to clean/repair the machines.

Some c-store chains do the frozen yogurt by the pound thing. RaceTrac, OnCue in OK, for example. Sales look slow.
Does make you wonder why Sheetz took such a gamble in the first place. I would think this would still be worth it where sales are good or for flagship locations.

One Sheetz I know had a soft-serve machine that shut down with the pandemic and returned to operation after a year or so (though the toppings station was never refilled), but was finally dismantled within the past few months or so.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

It does appear that Sheetz does still have shakes available, so I assume they would still need to have a soft serve machine behind the counter for those. I also see that QuikTrip has soft serve cones/cups and shakes available served from behind the counter, so it's possible Sheetz could move to the same thing, but it seems easier for them to just not offer it. Given that some locations around here feel like they're being held together by the proverbial duct tape and bailing wire I can imagine not having to maintain soft serve machines is probably a good thing.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Brian Lutz wrote: March 11th, 2024, 7:49 am It does appear that Sheetz does still have shakes available, so I assume they would still need to have a soft serve machine behind the counter for those. I also see that QuikTrip has soft serve cones/cups and shakes available served from behind the counter, so it's possible Sheetz could move to the same thing, but it seems easier for them to just not offer it. Given that some locations around here feel like they're being held together by the proverbial duct tape and bailing wire I can imagine not having to maintain soft serve machines is probably a good thing.
Unless they use regular ice cream to make a shake (as some places do)?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Chevron has automated self serve milk shake machines. You order on the computer screen and the machine makes it for you.

These kiosks use some kind of prepackaged ice cream cup that is then blended by the machine with the flavors that you choose. It eliminates employee labor and doesn't require soft serve machines.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 11th, 2024, 10:52 pm Chevron has automated self serve milk shake machines. You order on the computer screen and the machine makes it for you.

These kiosks use some kind of prepackaged ice cream cup that is then blended by the machine with the flavors that you choose. It eliminates employee labor and doesn't require soft serve machines.
The Freal? Maverik has Freal also. Awfully long ingredient list on those. Sometimes they have a $1 promotion for certain hours on a certain day of the week.