Dollar Tree - Family Dollar

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dollar Tree - Family Dollar

Post by veteran+ »

Best news I have heard in a while about this genre of retail!!

They are closing 1000 stores!

🥳🙌🍾🥂🎆🎇🎈
storewanderer

Re: Dollar Tree - Family Dollar

Post by storewanderer »

Family Dollar will close 600 stores in 2024, 370 stores in future years. Dollar Tree will close 30 stores.

I've been saying for a long time that Family Dollar is basically a joke. The rodent issue at the distro should gut the chain from an entire territory.

I think the entire Family Dollar chain and concept is on borrowed time. With Dollar Tree moving away from the 1.25 price point it'll be easier than ever to convert.

Dollar Tree units seem as busy as ever. Despite not being run well. I buy a handful of items there.

They should have let Family Dollar die on its own, it may drag them down.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I suspect most of those FD stores are in certain neighborhoods with high crime rates.
And does DG take over the closed FD sites.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Is Dollar General doing financially better than Dollar Tree? If Family Dollar can't seem to make those stores work I don't know how those stores could be profitable under Dollar General.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 2:23 pm Is Dollar General doing financially better than Dollar Tree? If Family Dollar can't seem to make those stores work I don't know how those stores could be profitable under Dollar General.
I'm sure these stores are near duplicate DG Stores already. Or in undesirable neighborhoods. I don't expect DG to take any of these.

I know of multiple very low traffic rural Family Dollar units.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I wonder if any Dollar Tree closures will be coming. There are armed guards at Dollar Tree stores in the Oakland, California area. Dollar Tree is spending money on guards and they have a security car parked in front of the doors.

Perhaps they are afraid of a door ramming.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 8:30 pm I wonder if any Dollar Tree closures will be coming. There are armed guards at Dollar Tree stores in the Oakland, California area. Dollar Tree is spending money on guards and they have a security car parked in front of the doors.

It said 30 Dollar Tree stores would close in the second wave, so I would assume these Oakland units would go away as it cannot be profitable to operate with armed security. Can't raise the price to make up for it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 13th, 2024, 9:47 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 8:30 pm I wonder if any Dollar Tree closures will be coming. There are armed guards at Dollar Tree stores in the Oakland, California area. Dollar Tree is spending money on guards and they have a security car parked in front of the doors.

It said 30 Dollar Tree stores would close in the second wave, so I would assume these Oakland units would go away as it cannot be profitable to operate with armed security. Can't raise the price to make up for it.
For the sake of the areas I hope they can stay open. The closure will not be good for the areas.

We can say what we want but these stores are an important source of various consumable/household goods and when areas already have few choices, a closure is not good. I am talking basic everyday things like paper products, dish soap, etc. Forget the other nonessential stuff like party supplies and cheap toys, candy, etc.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

"We can say what we want but these stores are an important source of various consumable/household goods and when areas already have few choices, a closure is not good. I am talking basic everyday things like paper products, dish soap, etc. Forget the other nonessential stuff like party supplies and cheap toys, candy, etc."

You seem to often advocate for pyrrhic victory scenarios.

:?

Better have 💩 than nothing at all?

🤷‍♂️
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 2:23 pm Is Dollar General doing financially better than Dollar Tree? If Family Dollar can't seem to make those stores work I don't know how those stores could be profitable under Dollar General.
Most of the new Dollar General stores are new builds in rural or semi-rural areas. Since a lot of the closures have to deal with leases, I imagine these are old inner-city stores.