Target Rolls 10 item "Express Self Checkout" Nationwide

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Target Rolls 10 item "Express Self Checkout" Nationwide

Post by storewanderer »

BatteryMill wrote: March 16th, 2024, 9:46 am Worth noting that express checkout was the norm at Target prior to the rollout of self-checkout in 2015.
A 10 item limit at self checkout is a little low in my opinion but not unreasonable. I think 20 items is more appropriate. Since I rarely exceed 10 items at Target it is fine with me. As long as they're open and no wait in line, works for me.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

I really hope Costco sees what Target and Walmart are doing and finally put some restrictions on ours.

(I was stuck watching self checkouts today for a couple hours and it is always an absolute nightmare. I had one big group with an over-packed cart and told me they were doing three different transactions and gave me attitude when I tried to coax them in to a regular lane, getting the whole 'Well there is no Sign!' shtick...and there is really nothing more I can do at that point.)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Was in Carson City Target. A manager looking woman was rudely waiving customers away from self checkouts and trying to get them to use cashiers, but she would sometimes let someone use one; but she was telling those who she allowed to use them it was card only and had a 10 item limit and if you try to scan more than 10 items the unit will stop working. Is this true?

The store was quite messy and understocked in a number of sections. Other sections looked okay. Endcaps were a trainwreck throughout the store. Especially those facing walls. This is a very low volume Target and in the past it has been kept up well- not necessarily stocked all that great but at least neat and organized. Something has happened to it in recent months where it has become quite a mess.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Selfsh human behavior and self checkouts...........................what could go wrong?

It's like texting and driving, "I will move forward when the light turns green WHEN I want to"!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

I often checkout at Target using the rarely used Snack Bar self checkout machine. I have had people.give me nasty stares for doing so but there's nothing wrong with it.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 17th, 2024, 12:00 am Was in Carson City Target. A manager looking woman was rudely waiving customers away from self checkouts and trying to get them to use cashiers, but she would sometimes let someone use one; but she was telling those who she allowed to use them it was card only and had a 10 item limit and if you try to scan more than 10 items the unit will stop working. Is this true?

The store was quite messy and understocked in a number of sections. Other sections looked okay. Endcaps were a trainwreck throughout the store. Especially those facing walls. This is a very low volume Target and in the past it has been kept up well- not necessarily stocked all that great but at least neat and organized. Something has happened to it in recent months where it has become quite a mess.
Sounds like another situation where they probably were moving hundreds of labor hours out of the registers and into the freight crew, zone recovery and so forth. Nobody is used to working at the necessary pace. Now that they have to live at their budget in each department the lack of accountability and discipline has come home to roost. Manager will probably get fired as a scapegoat.

I have also seen that they are turning off cash acceptance on the self checkout units and I do not understand why. Wondering if they're getting hit with counterfeit bills that their older, obsolete bill accepter units weren't catching...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:50 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 17th, 2024, 12:00 am Was in Carson City Target. A manager looking woman was rudely waiving customers away from self checkouts and trying to get them to use cashiers, but she would sometimes let someone use one; but she was telling those who she allowed to use them it was card only and had a 10 item limit and if you try to scan more than 10 items the unit will stop working. Is this true?

Sounds like another situation where they probably were moving hundreds of labor hours out of the registers and into the freight crew, zone recovery and so forth. Nobody is used to working at the necessary pace. Now that they have to live at their budget in each department the lack of accountability and discipline has come home to roost. Manager will probably get fired as a scapegoat.

I have also seen that they are turning off cash acceptance on the self checkout units and I do not understand why. Wondering if they're getting hit with counterfeit bills that their older, obsolete bill accepter units weren't catching...
This Target did not have automated cash acceptors on the self checkout. They had a cash tray as part of the self checkout and if you paid cash the cashier told you to step aside so they could access the cash tray and tender your transaction.

If there is an issue with counterfeit money the unit should lock up when someone inserts a $50 or a $100 and prompt the cashier to come check the bills. That would not be difficult to program. They could even program it for those times when you have someone try to break a $100 on a $2 purchase specifically.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Someone posted the actual policy. This policy will not fully apply to "two door" Target formats if they have self checkouts on the grocery side. So that will mean most of the (former) Target Greatland units and all of the Super Target units will not have "express self checkout" on the grocery side at all, only on the electronics side. Also they are supposed to be keeping grocery side self checkout open at all hours.

It appears they are removing entirely the snack bar self checkout.

Also the policy is stating one regular cashier PER BANK OF SELF CHECKOUTS OPEN. There is some serious confusion about this, some Target Stores think the policy is one regular cashier PER SELF CHECKOUT MACHINE OPEN. Or 2 cashiers during "peak times" - not sure what that means.

https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/ne ... ost-677867

"IGS" in this means "island guest services." So they cannot have customer service be the only available checkout.

This policy is definitely better than the literal front end trainwreck I have observed at Wal Marts over the past five days. I am in shock at what Wal Mart is doing.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 18th, 2024, 12:54 am Someone posted the actual policy. This policy will not fully apply to "two door" Target formats if they have self checkouts on the grocery side. So that will mean most of the (former) Target Greatland units and all of the Super Target units will not have "express self checkout" on the grocery side at all, only on the electronics side. Also they are supposed to be keeping grocery side self checkout open at all hours.

Also the policy is stating one regular cashier PER BANK OF SELF CHECKOUTS OPEN. There is some serious confusion about this, some Target Stores think the policy is one regular cashier PER SELF CHECKOUT MACHINE OPEN. Or 2 cashiers during "peak times" - not sure what that means.

"IGS" in this means "island guest services." So they cannot have customer service be the only available checkout.

This policy is definitely better than the literal front end trainwreck I have observed at Wal Marts over the past five days. I am in shock at what Wal Mart is doing.
Both super locations I've visited are fully closed SCO on the grocery side, and one installed all the new express signage on the grocery side. Exact opposite of the alleged direction here.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 18th, 2024, 1:01 am
storewanderer wrote: March 18th, 2024, 12:54 am Someone posted the actual policy. This policy will not fully apply to "two door" Target formats if they have self checkouts on the grocery side. So that will mean most of the (former) Target Greatland units and all of the Super Target units will not have "express self checkout" on the grocery side at all, only on the electronics side. Also they are supposed to be keeping grocery side self checkout open at all hours.

Both super locations I've visited are fully closed SCO on the grocery side, and one installed all the new express signage on the grocery side. Exact opposite of the alleged direction here.
I wonder why they'd be doing the opposite of what the directions say. It seems pretty clear.