Albertsons/Vons/Pavilions Cutting Store Hours

California. No non-grocery posts.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Albertsons/Vons/Pavilions Cutting Store Hours

Post by Bagels »

Looks like effective last Monday, most Albertsons/Vons/Pavilions will be open 6AM - 10PM. Previously, these stores were open until 11PM and some opened at 5AM. Prior to the pandemic, many were open until 12AM-2AM. It’s only been recently that some locations near Los Angeles saw their hours expanded.

I’m guessing it has a lot to do with cutting labor hours and shrink. I usually don’t get home from work until well after 9pm, so I guess I’ll be shopping at Ralphs more.
storewanderer

Re: Albertsons/Vons/Pavilions Cutting Store Hours

Post by storewanderer »

This is strange. NorCal Division has been expanding store hours more and more. They have stores open so late in some locations that make no sense to me. They seem to like 5 AM to 1 AM in a lot of CA locations. They have the stores in Reno/Tahoe still mostly 24 hours and in my very late night visits there are definitely theft issues and at least in Reno the stores should NOT be open 24 hours any longer but close at Midnight (let WinCo deal with the shoplifters and others who are causing problems- WinCo also has enough traffic to keep a couple employees up at the checkstands all night; Safeway doesn't and the stockers have to quit stocking to go cashier). WinCo also has a pretty large overnight crew so there are a lot of employees in the store. Safeway some nights only has 2-3 employees working in the store from say Midnight-4 AM that I can see (maybe there are more but they are in the back or in bakery prep or something).

Safeway is getting some traffic boost in both Reno Stores between 11 PM and Midnight- there seems to be a group of 20+ people every night who get cut off from the nearby Wal Mart 11 PM closing and they head to Safeway.

Save Mart was doing 6 AM to 10 PM but recently they tried to go to 6 AM to Midnight and they quickly retreated to 6 AM to 11 PM on most nights but then kept Midnight on Friday and Saturday night. They have 2 employees in the store late at night. They probably should have kept with 10 PM. One location went back to 6 AM to 10 PM (no volume store in South Carson City).

10 PM is like AZ/Las Vegas Albertsons, though I did find one Safeway in Tempe near ASU that kept longer hours. I haven't found any locations in Las Vegas who keep longer hours. I find 10 PM to be way too early. In SoCal, 10 PM also seems way too early.

Smiths somewhat recently started closing at Midnight (was 11 PM). I'm not sure they're going to stick with it. Traffic after 11 PM is very low.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Bagels wrote: March 17th, 2024, 10:22 pm Looks like effective last Monday, most Albertsons/Vons/Pavilions will be open 6AM - 10PM. Previously, these stores were open until 11PM and some opened at 5AM. Prior to the pandemic, many were open until 12AM-2AM. It’s only been recently that some locations near Los Angeles saw their hours expanded.

I’m guessing it has a lot to do with cutting labor hours and shrink. I usually don’t get home from work until well after 9pm, so I guess I’ll be shopping at Ralphs more.
By contrast, most of the San Francisco stores are open to midnight, much like Jewel-Osco. There is a handful of Jewels that close at 9:00 or 10:00 PM, but they are located in some of the less desirable sections of Chicago.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: March 17th, 2024, 11:03 pm
Bagels wrote: March 17th, 2024, 10:22 pm Looks like effective last Monday, most Albertsons/Vons/Pavilions will be open 6AM - 10PM. Previously, these stores were open until 11PM and some opened at 5AM. Prior to the pandemic, many were open until 12AM-2AM. It’s only been recently that some locations near Los Angeles saw their hours expanded.

By contrast, most of the San Francisco stores are open to midnight, much like Jewel-Osco. There is a handful of Jewels that close at 9:00 or 10:00 PM, but they are located in some of the less desirable sections of Chicago.
9 PM for Market Street Safeway; 11 PM for a couple others including Financial District (not much traffic at night), Midnight for the others in San Francisco.

But go out to Sacramento and every store is closing between Midnight and 2 AM.
Roseville has two 24 hour stores, one Midnight (not much traffic around it late at night) and one 2 AM.
Santa Rosa has every store closing at 1 AM.
San Jose which is 14 stores mostly closes at 2 AM, but has one 24 hour store and five Midnight or 1 AM stores.
Oakland with 6 stores has four closing at Midnight and two closing at 2 AM.

Some of the more remote NorCal Stores a 10 PM closing may be appropriate. Burney, Quincy, etc. Those are mostly Midnight. They used to be 24 hours before COVID.
Last edited by storewanderer on March 17th, 2024, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

I wonder if this will be a start of a trend. I can understand the issue with shrink and I wonder if it is also the fact that more cities are now implementing curfews due crime trends.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

reymann wrote: March 17th, 2024, 11:21 pm I wonder if this will be a start of a trend. I can understand the issue with shrink and I wonder if it is also the fact that more cities are now implementing curfews due crime trends.
It becomes a trend until your competitor decides they want $100 in extra sales for being open an extra hour then you decide to stay open an extra hour too... even when it doesn't make sense to stay open.

Walgreens supposedly in that ultra cost cut mode thing has expanded store hours now opening at 7 AM in many stores, and started to stay open later in some stores to 11 PM (these were previously 8 AM to 10 PM stores). But they cut a lot of 24 hour stores into being 6 AM to Midnight Stores. Supposedly they "reallocated" the hours saved from stopping being open 24 hours, to these other stores they added an hour or two of operating hours to.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

They seem to be cutting fuel station hours as well but not always in tandem with store hours.

Temescal Valley, for example, store remains open 6 am to 11 pm but fuel station is now 5 am to 10 pm. Was open previously 5 am until 11 pm (this store location just added two additional self-checkouts, now a total of 8, three weeks ago).

Up the road in Corona, Vons store and fuel station are now both 6 am to 10 pm. Previously fuel was 5 am to 11 pm, store 6 am to 11 pm.

In Temecula, I saw the sign on the entrance on Thursday. Now 6 am to 10 pm. Same for Sun City (Menifee).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

No change in Bishop and Mammoth Lakes. Bishop still closes at 11 PM, and Mammoth Lakes is still open 24 hours.

Also both Ridgecrest stores are still open until 11 PM.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

CalItalian wrote: March 18th, 2024, 5:59 am They seem to be cutting fuel station hours as well but not always in tandem with store hours.

Temescal Valley, for example, store remains open 6 am to 11 pm but fuel station is now 5 am to 10 pm. Was open previously 5 am until 11 pm (this store location just added two additional self-checkouts, now a total of 8, three weeks ago).

Up the road in Corona, Vons store and fuel station are now both 6 am to 10 pm. Previously fuel was 5 am to 11 pm, store 6 am to 11 pm.

In Temecula, I saw the sign on the entrance on Thursday. Now 6 am to 10 pm. Same for Sun City (Menifee).
Meanwhile Ralphs has gone back to opening as early as 5am (Temecula) and closing at 1am again in the Temecula Valley. They were closing at 11pm or 12am when we first moved here couple years ago. Stater Bros is still 11pm close.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

It depends on the location of the store...... If you are Albertson's you aren't going to have a store like West Hollywood Pavilions closing at 10PM. It's open 5AM to 12AM currently. It and some other stores used to be open 24hrs. The store in Burbank is still open 24hrs.