Chick-Fil-A introducing Mobile Thru lane

ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Chick-Fil-A introducing Mobile Thru lane

Post by ClownLoach »

Chick-Fil-A is opening a new prototype restaurant in Murrieta tomorrow that will introduce a concept called the Mobile Thru lane.

There are two covered drive thru lanes, one labeled Drive Thru and one signed as Mobile Thru. For this new system their App will offer "Drive Thru Express" and direct the customer to the Mobile Thru lane. (I have no idea why this is starting with two different names, not a good idea in my book). The Mobile Thru lane has a video board with a changing QR code and the customer is supposed to scan it with the App when they arrive, and they'll be directed to a specific numbered parking space where their food will be delivered.

I can already forsee disaster here as cars line up at the Mobile Thru lane having no idea it isn't a second drive thru lane, only to realize they're pulling up to a screen that isn't a menu board or two way speaker. Not sure how they're going to enforce the assigned parking space either, maybe they're snapping a picture of the car for the employee in case the customer parks in a different spot? To be fair, I would imagine Chick-Fil-A has some plans for these situations as they are arguably the best at handling extremely long lines. Separating mobile orders from regular orders should greatly expedite the drive thru waits for everyone.

Aside from the Mobile Thru, the restaurant is a completely new build behind the one year old Costco and it is a completely normal indoor dining room with seating. I couldn't tell if it had a kids play area. Looks to have a "farmhouse" decor inside. I'll check it out next time I'm over there.
storewanderer

Re: Chick-Fil-A introducing Mobile Thru lane

Post by storewanderer »

I think Panera was/is trying to build new stores this way...

Chickfila does a heavy mobile order business. This makes so much sense for them.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 20th, 2024, 11:53 pm I think Panera was/is trying to build new stores this way...

Chickfila does a heavy mobile order business. This makes so much sense for them.
The new Panera units are so tiny I mistook one for a Starbucks. They look like they are maybe 750 Sq ft, and they still have inside dining. Look up the San Marcos CA one behind Costco business center.

For Chick-Fil-A I wish I could share the Instagram video showing this new setup. There is not anywhere near enough signage. Nobody has ever heard of a Mobile Thru. They literally have a little road sign on a post dividing the two lines, Drive Thru and left arrow, Mobile Thru and right arrow. Interstate font. People can't figure out the Chipotle non-drive-thru and stall the process for everyone, and this is not going to be any different. Only thing is theoretically a car "stuck" at the kiosk could be directed by employees to merge into the regular DT lane but then they've effectively cut all the other cars off and they run the risk their food won't be ready when they get to the window while multiple cars behind them have food that is done and getting cold. They really should have started with a cluster of new stores in a new market they haven't served previously, or remodeled an entire batch of stores all at once and then educated the customers in advance that "Mobile Thru" is coming and what exactly that means. Worse is that they've already said it will have a different name in the app. Why? It isn't like it can't be changed in the app in a minute to say "Mobile Thru" instead of "Drive Thru Express." There won't be any "Express" signage at the restaurant to match the app. Again, why? I think this is going to be messy as people automatically get into the shortest line as they do at all other local two-lane CFA drive thrus, and then they realize that they are in the wrong place once it's too late then try to maneuver and block everyone else until they get to the right lane.

Oh, and even better: they started building a Raising Cane's two doors over from this new CFA.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The only thing I can think is if this mobile through moves fast enough, maybe it won't be a huge deal for people who get in the wrong line. Until you get one who refuses to move until they get their order taken, and pay the usual way... and hold the whole process up...

Maybe they need a gate at the end/opening of the mobile through and you have to scan QR code on a scanner to get the gate to open to open up the lane. That would also alert inside that the blue truck with order 22 has arrived. If no scanner or an issue getting QR to scan, you could tell the app you are "at the lane entrance" and get it remotely to lift the gate to let you proceed and also alert inside you are there, and as a last resort an intercom to announce yourself.