Here come the price increases!

storewanderer

Re: Here come the price increases!

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 7:08 am
BillyGr wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 6:18 am

Must depend on the location, as I usually have a few spare napkins in the car (or at the house) just from what they decided to stuff in the takeout bag (like 10 of them for one meal or a couple sandwiches).
These remodeled McDonald's, many of which are on their second remodel since being torn down or redesigned entirely from the classic Mansard into a ugly McBox, are being stripped of every expensive amenity. No self service soda, no condiments, no straws or napkins, no menu board (the screens now show a QR code and tell you to scan it or look on the kiosk or app). The TVs they had around the restaurant showing the news get ripped out. The kids touch screen game computers ripped out. Some are now hard plastic booths only and fixed seating as if they're afraid someone is going to steal the chairs. They basically act like they need to make the McBox into a prison cafeteria. It's really terrible and this is happening even in really nice neighborhoods. Takes away any remaining reason to go there.
This location I have been going to seems to have very tight expense control going on. It also still prices the Cheeseburger at 1.89... which is very low for the area. I think the next lowest is 2.39 and various others are 2.89.

I don't understand why these recent McDonalds have such a terrible atmosphere. The remodeled Wendys units are at least sort of nice, some more comfortable and all with a large condiment station and whatever you could need there to get freely and TVs and/or fireplaces.

A new build McDonalds just opened in Sparks on Los Altos Pkwy and you should see this place. The Google Maps already has it as a 2.1/5 rating and Yelp a 1.8/5 rating which is humorously bad for a newly opened unit where the franchisee and friends were there on opening day very professional and inspired some level of confidence that they actually cared. https://www.yelp.com/biz/mcdonalds-sparks-5 First off it is small inside. The interior decor looks worse than a school bathroom. The seating is less comfortable than a school cafeteria. They have weird security mirrors on the wall and I have no clue why they are there or what they are looking at. They have a pick up shelf but they just leave orders on the counter for you to figure out what is your order. The only thing that could make this place worse would be a cement floor. I don't want to give them any ideas.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 10:45 pm
BillyGr wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 6:18 am

Must depend on the location, as I usually have a few spare napkins in the car (or at the house) just from what they decided to stuff in the takeout bag (like 10 of them for one meal or a couple sandwiches).
These remodeled McDonald's, many of which are on their second remodel since being torn down or redesigned entirely from the classic Mansard into a ugly McBox, are being stripped of every expensive amenity. No self service soda, no condiments, no straws or napkins, no menu board (the screens now show a QR code and tell you to scan it or look on the kiosk or app). The TVs they had around the restaurant showing the news get ripped out. The kids touch screen game computers ripped out. Some are now hard plastic booths only and fixed seating as if they're afraid someone is going to steal the chairs. They basically act like they need to make the McBox into a prison cafeteria. It's really terrible and this is happening even in really nice neighborhoods. Takes away any remaining reason to go there.
This location I have been going to seems to have very tight expense control going on. It also still prices the Cheeseburger at 1.89... which is very low for the area. I think the next lowest is 2.39 and various others are 2.89.

I don't understand why these recent McDonalds have such a terrible atmosphere. The remodeled Wendys units are at least sort of nice, some more comfortable and all with a large condiment station and whatever you could need there to get freely and TVs and/or fireplaces.

A new build McDonalds just opened in Sparks on Los Altos Pkwy and you should see this place. The Google Maps already has it as a 2.1/5 rating and Yelp a 1.8/5 rating which is humorously bad for a newly opened unit where the franchisee and friends were there on opening day very professional and inspired some level of confidence that they actually cared. https://www.yelp.com/biz/mcdonalds-sparks-5 First off it is small inside. The interior decor looks worse than a school bathroom. The seating is less comfortable than a school cafeteria. They have weird security mirrors on the wall and I have no clue why they are there or what they are looking at. They have a pick up shelf but they just leave orders on the counter for you to figure out what is your order. The only thing that could make this place worse would be a cement floor. I don't want to give them any ideas.
There is an identical twin brand new McDonald's next to none other than the Winchester Rite Aid! It's every bit as ugly and has a 1.7 star rating on Yelp.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 11:55 pm

There is an identical twin brand new McDonald's next to none other than the Winchester Rite Aid! It's every bit as ugly and has a 1.7 star rating on Yelp.
Is that an indoor playplace on Winchester new build? It looks like someone may have posted photos to the wrong location. I see two different floors and two different drive through layouts. I am assuming Winchester has the square floor tiles.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 12:20 am
ClownLoach wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 11:55 pm

Is that an indoor playplace on Winchester new build? It looks like someone may have posted photos to the wrong location. I see two different floors and two different drive through layouts. I am assuming Winchester has the square floor tiles.
The Winchester new build does not have a play place. There is another older McDonald's a few blocks south as well and yes people are getting the photos mixed up.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Aside from Chickfila I don't see any chains that have done huge 20% type blanket increases statewide... Panda Express has not touched pricing. Raising Canes seemed to go up about 10% across the board.

Politically it is a fine line between doing what you need to do to operate and doing a price increase/blaming it on this law which indirectly is like throwing the state lawmakers under the bus which 40% of CA consumers may agree with the business owner on that but the other 60% of CA consumers who like the lawmakers will disagree with. Very fine line to take here.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: April 5th, 2024, 12:09 am Aside from Chickfila I don't see any chains that have done huge 20% type blanket increases statewide... Panda Express has not touched pricing. Raising Canes seemed to go up about 10% across the board.

Politically it is a fine line between doing what you need to do to operate and doing a price increase/blaming it on this law which indirectly is like throwing the state lawmakers under the bus which 40% of CA consumers may agree with the business owner on that but the other 60% of CA consumers who like the lawmakers will disagree with. Very fine line to take here.
I'm seeing increases on fries and sodas not much food. Easier to hide it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: April 5th, 2024, 12:11 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 5th, 2024, 12:09 am Aside from Chickfila I don't see any chains that have done huge 20% type blanket increases statewide... Panda Express has not touched pricing. Raising Canes seemed to go up about 10% across the board.

Some big increases at some of the Wendys operators who had been keeping prices down in the less populated areas; 15-25%. They are now almost as high as the outrageous Fresno/Sacramento Wendys franchisee's prices, but still not quite.

This seems to be having more effects in the lower cost areas of the state than the ones that were already high cost.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: April 6th, 2024, 12:44 pm
ClownLoach wrote: April 5th, 2024, 12:11 pm

Some big increases at some of the Wendys operators who had been keeping prices down in the less populated areas; 15-25%. They are now almost as high as the outrageous Fresno/Sacramento Wendys franchisee's prices, but still not quite.

This seems to be having more effects in the lower cost areas of the state than the ones that were already high cost.
Yep! Which will turn into worse staffing problems. Many people make the decision to commute to higher wage areas, now they'll ask for transfers closer to home or just find closer jobs and quit. This has been a problem in San Diego County for years, sometimes businesses a mile apart were on very different wage scales. Dumb companies I worked for wouldn't equalize the market.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

I went to a Burger King in Fresno the other day that has reverted back to Take Out/Drive Thru only in an attempt to save on labor.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

reymann wrote: April 7th, 2024, 4:04 pm I went to a Burger King in Fresno the other day that has reverted back to Take Out/Drive Thru only in an attempt to save on labor.
Still having difficulty understanding this strategy. It doesn't really save anything. Staffing is exactly the same, skeleton crew, open or closed inside.