In & Out

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

In & Out

Post by veteran+ »

This is what all employees received this morning:

Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2024 09:00 AM
Subject: Happy Resurrection Day to You and Your Family!

https://mcusercontent.com/c4443fdec27f9 ... e988c8.jpg

I mean, wow! Commingle much?
storewanderer

Re: In & Out

Post by storewanderer »

They are also 100% closed for business today.

So they at least do take the massive revenue loss from closing today to be consistent with the beliefs of their owner.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 31st, 2024, 10:15 am They are also 100% closed for business today.

So they at least do take the massive revenue loss from closing today to be consistent with the beliefs of their owner.
They get holiday pay as well. The last two retailers I worked for both were closed on Easter but it was not a paid holiday. I didn't appreciate the need to give up a vacation day. At least they're putting their money where their mouth is.

In-N-Out does not care about your religion and follows the law in employment decisions. Who cares if they send an email for a religious holiday when they're closed?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: March 31st, 2024, 10:15 am They are also 100% closed for business today.

I wonder how their non christian employees feel about this greeting. :?:

Perhaps they do not hire non christians? 🤔
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: March 31st, 2024, 10:50 am

They get holiday pay as well. The last two retailers I worked for both were closed on Easter but it was not a paid holiday. I didn't appreciate the need to give up a vacation day. At least they're putting their money where their mouth is.

In-N-Out does not care about your religion and follows the law in employment decisions. Who cares if they send an email for a religious holiday when they're closed?
Yep! Their holiday pay is based on the average hours you work per day. You could get payed 3 hours or 8 hours if that is your average.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 31st, 2024, 10:50 am

My understanding is they pay all employees the average hours worked per day, as Easter pay. So an employee who averages 30 hours a week would receive 6 hours of Holiday Pay for Easter. This includes part time employees also.

Most businesses that close don't pay part time employees anything for holidays.

Raising Canes is the one fast food that closes many holidays. They close early on Super Bowl Sunday and early on Christmas Eve. They close entirely on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I assume full time employees get paid holidays but not sure about part time.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 31st, 2024, 11:12 am

I wonder how their non christian employees feel about this greeting. :?:

Perhaps they do not hire non christians? 🤔
Probably the same way they feel when they hear "Merry Christmas" the whole month of December... but it is easy to go ahead and delete/disregard the e-mail and be done with it. Throughout December you have no idea when you may be hit with a "Merry Christmas."

It is also a good reminder what Easter actually is and overall I see no issue with the e-mail. Even for non-believers it is good to know some details about what it is they are "not believing in."

The religion aspect of Easter is rather downplayed in the US. In many other countries, there are more holidays surrounding Easter. Good Friday, etc. are often work/government holidays. Some US States also consider Good Friday a "state holiday" - NJ is one such state. And of course the US stock market is closed Good Friday.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Oregon is one of the least religious states in the country, and this email came from a political party message. I think it is similar to agreeing with what the other poster stated.
It’s Easter - a day of celebration for many, whether secular or religious; a good day for contemplation of what good we have in our lives.
Now calling it "Resurrection Day" and choosing to include a Biblical quote is a bit stronger than some organizations. As noted, by choosing to provide pay for full and part time employees as part of the day as a company paid holiday, that is rather a nice side benefit.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: March 31st, 2024, 12:06 pm Oregon is one of the least religious states in the country, and this email came from a political party message. I think it is similar to agreeing with what the other poster stated.
It’s Easter - a day of celebration for many, whether secular or religious; a good day for contemplation of what good we have in our lives.
Now calling it "Resurrection Day" and choosing to include a Biblical quote is a bit stronger than some organizations. As noted, by choosing to provide pay for full and part time employees as part of the day as a company paid holiday, that is rather a nice side benefit.
I've heard more references to Easter as "Resurrection Day" today than I have heard in my entire life. I have no clue what is going on.

I think the extreme viewpoint tug of war game is out in full force.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: March 31st, 2024, 11:20 am
Probably the same way they feel when they hear "Merry Christmas" the whole month of December... but it is easy to go ahead and delete/disregard the e-mail and be done with it. Throughout December you have no idea when you may be hit with a "Merry Christmas."
To be fair, there's a bit of a difference between a generic greeting like "Merry Christmas", which is basically a secular holiday at this point, and an e-mail making specific reference to the prophet of a particular religion.

I have no problem with this e-mail, but I am also confused about its purpose. Is it a "because we can" type of thing? I doubt In-N-Out employees, as a group, are particularly religious, so what good does this do the company?