Burlington closing Carson City, NV location

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Burlington closing Carson City, NV location

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: April 4th, 2024, 11:59 am
storewanderer wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 11:55 pm
ClownLoach wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:27 pm

Here's the deal with Hobby Lobby. They are last to lease a site, not first.

Their strategy is to pursue problem properties that have sat vacant for years. They strong arm the landlord and offer 25% of the asking rent, only a ten year term, and then they say they don't want any up front money because they'll build out the space themselves with their own crew from Oklahoma City. For most landlords who can't write off any more losses and are going broke, they are better off taking the 75% or more below asking because they won't have to offer millions of dollars to prepare the space.

Of course they could have a deal worked out already and would be a more desirable tenant for the landlord than Burlington, and they could wall off the unwanted space and either moth ball it or sub lease it. I don't know that market but I do know how they operate. A good tenant aside from the fact they're cheap rent, they usually will do triple net as well.
There is a weird Ross next to this store. The weird Ross sits in small tenant/strip mall space. It is not in anchor space. It is very small/shallow. Ross moved from a store that was a full size mid 90's Ross one building and to the left of the Carson Target because that center had so little traffic Ross was failing there and wanted to move to a better location. So I think they could carve off 20k square feet of Burlington for Ross somehow and then give Hobby Lobby 50k square feet of space and it could work.

Carson is an excellent spot for a Hobby Lobby. They absolutely need to get a location there and this is exactly where they need to be. There are other retail boxes near it that could work. The Save Mart nearby does almost no volume and I have no idea how it stays open. I don't think the Kohls or JCP Stores are terribly productive either. The Kohls building (former Mervyns) is probably the best size fit for Hobby Lobby.
A Kohl's/former Mervyn's is double the size of Hobby Lobby current stores. There are many in SoCal that are in old Mervyn's and they are actively downsizing these locations as they reduce their SKU depth. They are condensing the sales floors towards the doors and using gondola fixtures to wall off the back half of the store leaving it empty. Again they're trying to get into the 40s and out of these larger 70-80K boxes.
That Kohls is a fooler. I thought it was smaller than the Burlington. It feels smaller. But if you look at the buildings it is obviously bigger.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: April 4th, 2024, 11:55 pm
ClownLoach wrote: April 4th, 2024, 11:59 am
storewanderer wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 11:55 pm

There is a weird Ross next to this store. The weird Ross sits in small tenant/strip mall space. It is not in anchor space. It is very small/shallow. Ross moved from a store that was a full size mid 90's Ross one building and to the left of the Carson Target because that center had so little traffic Ross was failing there and wanted to move to a better location. So I think they could carve off 20k square feet of Burlington for Ross somehow and then give Hobby Lobby 50k square feet of space and it could work.

Carson is an excellent spot for a Hobby Lobby. They absolutely need to get a location there and this is exactly where they need to be. There are other retail boxes near it that could work. The Save Mart nearby does almost no volume and I have no idea how it stays open. I don't think the Kohls or JCP Stores are terribly productive either. The Kohls building (former Mervyns) is probably the best size fit for Hobby Lobby.
A Kohl's/former Mervyn's is double the size of Hobby Lobby current stores. There are many in SoCal that are in old Mervyn's and they are actively downsizing these locations as they reduce their SKU depth. They are condensing the sales floors towards the doors and using gondola fixtures to wall off the back half of the store leaving it empty. Again they're trying to get into the 40s and out of these larger 70-80K boxes.
That Kohls is a fooler. I thought it was smaller than the Burlington. It feels smaller. But if you look at the buildings it is obviously bigger.
Kohl’s (former Mervyn’s) is 60,700 SQF according to an old article that (wrongly) said they weren’t coming to Carson City:

https://www.nevadaappeal.com/news/2008/ ... to-carson/

Burlington is a tad over 70K SQF if I remember correctly. The old Walmart was roughly 110K SQF - they did tear down part of the building when they built the (what was to be) Sportsman’s box before the bankruptcy. I believe Big Lots and Big 5 are around 45-
50K SQF combined.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I seem to recall the tear down being part of the garden center and the old auto repair area then some way to make the building flow without those?

Wasn't Burlington open before that point?

Burlington is in a pathetic state. So much sales floor blocked off. Tired looking store there in Carson like they have not spent a cent since opening day. The Reno one got new flooring a number of years ago during downsize 1, and they've done two more downsizes so the flooring and paths are messed up but the flooring is in great shape.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: April 6th, 2024, 11:48 pm I seem to recall the tear down being part of the garden center and the old auto repair area then some way to make the building flow without those?

Burlington is in a pathetic state. So much sales floor blocked off. Tired looking store there in Carson like they have not spent a cent since opening day. The Reno one got new flooring a number of years ago during downsize 1, and they've done two more downsizes so the flooring and paths are messed up but the flooring is in great shape.
When they built the Sportsmans, it was 3 weeks from opening when the chain went bankrupt. This was around the time they sold the Oregon stores to Wholesale Sports / short-time owners of G.I. Joe's / Joe's Outdoor. I can't remember if Burlington was open or not. They did demolish the Walmart basically from optical over, so the entire hardlines area.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: April 7th, 2024, 3:59 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 6th, 2024, 11:48 pm I seem to recall the tear down being part of the garden center and the old auto repair area then some way to make the building flow without those?

When they built the Sportsmans, it was 3 weeks from opening when the chain went bankrupt. This was around the time they sold the Oregon stores to Wholesale Sports / short-time owners of G.I. Joe's / Joe's Outdoor. I can't remember if Burlington was open or not. They did demolish the Walmart basically from optical over, so the entire hardlines area.
I vaguely remember that whole situation. I think Burlington opened first.

I don't expect Burlington to relocate/return to Carson.
FrankMoore99
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by FrankMoore99 »

storewanderer wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:28 am

Really?? They aren't closing the store to relocate. I figured they were probably relocating to the former Bed Bath and Beyond on Topsy because Burlington has been doing that as of late.
I am wondering what stores are planned for Bed Bath and Beyond stores in the Sacramento area?? I know Burlington is planning to relocate their Natomas store to that BB&B space and Floor and Decor is planning to relocate their Roseville store to that and Buy Buy Baby's space. Are their any plans for Folsom's space?
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

FrankMoore99 wrote: April 9th, 2024, 12:24 pm

Really?? They aren't closing the store to relocate. I figured they were probably relocating to the former Bed Bath and Beyond on Topsy because Burlington has been doing that as of late.
I am wondering what stores are planned for Bed Bath and Beyond stores in the Sacramento area?? I know Burlington is planning to relocate their Natomas store to that BB&B space and Floor and Decor is planning to relocate their Roseville store to that and Buy Buy Baby's space. Are their any plans for Folsom's space?
All the asset sales in the bankruptcy court were listed on a docket which I believe was shared on the BB&B death watch thread (or whatever we called it). A surprisingly small number of leases were sold, the majority were just canceled and reverted back to the landlord. Big buyers included Barnes & Noble, Michaels, various fitness chains, TJX and subsidiaries, and I could have sworn Burlington bought some too.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This isn't something I've heard will happen. I expect to see additional anchor spaces empty in the Topsy center... pretty lousy performing stores there for most parties. Outdated Petco and Michaels units with old logo signs, Marshalls did finally remodel the interior recently so maybe they're safe; oversized Dollar Tree in the former Old Navy that does poorly for its size; Best Buy with hardly any traffic...
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: April 10th, 2024, 12:20 am

This isn't something I've heard will happen. I expect to see additional anchor spaces empty in the Topsy center... pretty lousy performing stores there for most parties. Outdated Petco and Michaels units with old logo signs, Marshalls did finally remodel the interior recently so maybe they're safe; oversized Dollar Tree in the former Old Navy that does poorly for its size; Best Buy with hardly any traffic...
I don’t expect Burlington to come back either, have not heard anything recently about the Topsy plaza. Only thing I know going in up there is Jersey Mike’s in the former RadioShack/T-Mobile, next to America First CU (former Five Guys)
FrankMoore99
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by FrankMoore99 »

storewanderer wrote: April 10th, 2024, 12:20 am

The center is not doing well?? It is the main shopping plaza in all of Carson City. It seems like there are still many Michaels that still have old logo signs, even the one in Roseville across from the Galleria. It seems like they stopped putting on the new sign when they remodel also, because the Folsom location received a major makeover in 2008 with the new sign. But it received another remodel after that didn't include the newest red sign. CVS seems like they are doing the same thing, remodeling stores without adding their new heart symbol with the sign. I am wondering that since Barnes and Noble is expanding, if a store is planned where Pier 1 was at, or if that would work in Carson City?? How did Borders do before it went out?? That building stayed a Borders ghost for the longest time. Where is the main retail area of Carson City??