99 CENT ONLY closing

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

99 CENT ONLY closing

Post by Bluelightspecial »

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/99-cen ... ll-stores/

Can anyone else confirm this? Seems like a big deal
pseudo3d

Re: 99 CENT ONLY closing

Post by pseudo3d »

Bluelightspecial wrote: April 4th, 2024, 8:00 pm https://ktla.com/news/local-news/99-cen ... ll-stores/

viewtopic.php?p=57269
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Thank you. I don't live on this site like some people so I didn't see the other post. Appreciate you sending it to me
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Bluelightspecial wrote: April 4th, 2024, 8:00 pm https://ktla.com/news/local-news/99-cen ... ll-stores/

YAY!!!!!!!

Great news.

I wonder who will occupy the beautiful mid century modern (moderne) store in Palm Springs. That was one of my Fresh & Easy stores in the Valley.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

So I went over to the store. It doesn't look any different than it has been looking. No liquidaton sale and 9 days return policy still printed on receipt.

Did this company even notify the employees? I asked and was told they heard about it last night from customers...
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Did notice a (Hilco) "all sales final, acceptable tenders are" poster up at the MCM store in Palm Springs; no posted discounts, they still had fresh plants on racks outside (bedding plants/etc).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Went to a couple more stores tonight. Items were scanning at random odd percentages off but it didn't seem to make much sense. It appeared crafts 30% off, cleaning supplies 10% off, vendor food 5% off, candy/other food 0% off, Easter 25% off. Return policy still printed on receipt tonight 9 days return period. Customers were all aware the stores will be closing despite zero liquidation signage up. I expect most stores will sell through 25% of their inventory by Sunday night.

One store the employee who has been there a while said they thought yesterday it was just their store closing, also I asked if they were getting severance or anything and was told nothing of that sort, just that they will be out of a job by June 1.

I think the Hispanic community was extremely loyal to this chain. This will be a big loss.

This is also a loss as you have this California owned company that is going out of business. How many of the replacement tenants will be California companies? I suspect a tiny fraction.

This also throws a lot of sales up for grabs in CA. I think the ethnic grocery chains in SoCal are going to have a huge benefit from this.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

storewanderer wrote: April 6th, 2024, 12:57 am Went to a couple more stores tonight. Items were scanning at random odd percentages off but it didn't seem to make much sense. It appeared crafts 30% off, cleaning supplies 10% off, vendor food 5% off, candy/other food 0% off, Easter 25% off. Return policy still printed on receipt tonight 9 days return period. Customers were all aware the stores will be closing despite zero liquidation signage up. I expect most stores will sell through 25% of their inventory by Sunday night.

One store the employee who has been there a while said they thought yesterday it was just their store closing, also I asked if they were getting severance or anything and was told nothing of that sort, just that they will be out of a job by June 1.

I think the Hispanic community was extremely loyal to this chain. This will be a big loss.

This is also a loss as you have this California owned company that is going out of business. How many of the replacement tenants will be California companies? I suspect a tiny fraction.

This also throws a lot of sales up for grabs in CA. I think the ethnic grocery chains in SoCal are going to have a huge benefit from this.
El Super is rumored to be eyeballing one of the 99 cents only stores closing in Fresno and the property manager at that location is currently renovating that shopping center. Grocery Outlet is eyeballing some of the other 99 cents only stores closing.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Investor group looks to save the 99 Cents Only stores in Southern California

https://lamag.com/news/investor-group-l ... california
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

CalItalian wrote: April 6th, 2024, 8:32 am Investor group looks to save the 99 Cents Only stores in Southern California

https://lamag.com/news/investor-group-l ... california
The byline, "Former CEO of Pic ‘N’ Save wants stores to get back to their SoCal ‘treasure hunt’ roots.", says exactly what I've been saying about 99 cents only and Big Lots. When they stopped being fun, they stopped being a great place to shop. When they stopped being a great place to shop, shoppers stopped shopping there. Guess what happens next?

At least the TJX family of stores, in their partial shift away from the treasure-hunt experience and towards stocking brands made just for them, stock quality merchandise. IMO, the home merchandise at TJX stores is of the same quality as The Container Store and back-in-the-day BBB. The stuff at 99 cents only and Big Lots is just crap.