Burger King Remodels in Portland as of Late

StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Burger King Remodels in Portland as of Late

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

My dad just drove by our local Burger King (BK) restaurant at 15225 SE McLoughlin Blvd., in Oak Grove today, and he saw that it is currently undergoing a remodel.

The last major remodel of this store, #1595, occurred around 2001. The 2001-ish remodel was the one that witnessed this location getting a blue steel roof in place of the original 1976 cedar shingled roof, and the natural red cinder brick exterior walls were painted gray as part of that same remodel.

Can anyone else fill me in on what's going on with the BK restaurant remodels applicable to those stores operated by Kaizen Restaurants (which is the operator of most BK restaurants, as well as some Denny's restaurants, in the Portland area)?

Thank you,

Ben
Super S

Re: Burger King Remodels in Portland as of Late

Post by Super S »

I have seen some Burger King remodels that are rushed-looking on the outside. Personally, I am not a fan of the way they paint over the original brick exteriors and woodwork, which in many cases, would look nicer if left alone. Another thing I have noticed on one late-90s vintage location in Longview, WA is that, instead of installing the blue steel roof, they painted the asphalt shingles blue. It looks bad after a couple of years.
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Super S wrote:I have seen some Burger King remodels that are rushed-looking on the outside. Personally, I am not a fan of the way they paint over the original brick exteriors and woodwork, which in many cases, would look nicer if left alone. Another thing I have noticed on one late-90s vintage location in Longview, WA is that, instead of installing the blue steel roof, they painted the asphalt shingles blue. It looks bad after a couple of years.
I once had a dream just days ago of my local BK in Oak Grove, that had its original shingles painted blue but all the original '70s "BURGER KING - HOME OF THE WHOPPER" lettering on the front remained intact. The underlying brick structure was also unpainted.

And speaking of that location, it's still being finished as of two weeks ago, and they had to shut down the whole location for the duration (so that they could do the kitchen inside), but it should be open before year's end. Until then, I'll be going to either the 1525 SE Grand Ave. store (SE Portland), the 11590 SE 82nd Ave. store (Clackamas/Happy Valley unincorporated area), or the 1616 Beavercreek Rd. store (Oregon City).

~Ben
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

It's been two weeks ago, but I want to say that the Oak Grove BK remodel is now finished since the place is now reopened. What I saw of it was the entry ways were done up in the "20/20" styling, especially the storefront (which restores the old tagline "HOME OF THE WHOPPER" underneath the BK logo). The remainder of the blue steel roof was painted white, and the gray bricks were repainted two shades of brown: the upper parts were painted a golden brown whereas the lower part was painted a dark taupe.

~Ben