Jackson, Wyoming, Albertsons

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Jackson, Wyoming, Albertsons

Post by kr.abs.swy »

The Jackson, Wyoming, Albertsons just got a thorough remodel. The store is about eight years old, replacing a smaller store that was previously a Safeway and Farmer Jack.

The store had only received a major reset since it was opened, when a larger natural/organic section was added a couple of years ago.

The store now has the standard SuperValu interior. The store was originally a "Grocery Palace" interior, although it had been heavily customized for the Jackson area. With the remodel, they removed the separate "building" that had the pharmacy and customer service area, relocating the pharmacy along one of the walls and customer service to the front of the store. They ripped out all the floor tiles and replaced the freezers. They added a sushi bar and a salad bar. They also added an overhang above the checkouts -- it kind of reminds me of the ones they used to have at Smith's, although it's much more tasetfully done. Overall the store looks really good.

What was interesting is that they retained some elements of the previous store. There was a huge barn above the dairy case; that barn is a replica of the much-photographed barn set in front of the Tetons along Mormon Row in Jackson Hole and was retained in the remodel. They also retained the fireplace and reading area and some of the local pictures that were along the walls. That was really interesting because I've never seen Albertsons intentionally retain elements of a previous store design, unless it was just to save money, which I'm sure was not the case here.
Super S

Re: Jackson, Wyoming, Albertsons

Post by Super S »

Is there anything in the old Albertsons now? I was there back in 97, the old store didn't seem at all like a former Safeway to me. I also remembered they had a unique Kmart as well which had a wooden front and is the only one I have ever seen with a canopy in front you can drive under.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

Yes, the former Safeway / Albertsons is alive and well. It's been divided into three spots: Hoback Sports, Staples and Dollar Tree. As I recall, that store had the blue-grey Albertsons interior. If you walk to the back of it, you'll see that it's been added onto a couple of times, almost certainly at least once since it was taken over by Albertsons. I've attached a couple of pictures that I took in late 2006. I've been in all three of the stores looking for any leftover fixtures, etc., from its life as a supermarket and haven't been very successful.

The Kmart remains, with its unique entrance. It actually has some wood trim on the outside. But on the inside, it's just like any other Kmart. I wish it were a Target ...
Attachments
former-Albertsons-back.jpg
former-Albertsons-back.jpg (60.3 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
former-Albertsons-front.jpg
former-Albertsons-front.jpg (43.17 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
Super S

Post by Super S »

I do remember the rock on the corners, but that for whatever reason didn't stand out as Safeway at the time. Some older Albertsons marina stores had something similar. I did go in there once to pick up some groceries for our campsite at Grand Teton, I did remember it was the blue-gray interior. But I believe it had a suspended ceiling, at the time it looked like a typical Albertsons. The back of the store definitely looks like an old Safeway though. I did not spend a lot of time in the store as I only visited it once. I did not see the back at all. As for the Kmart, it looked like a typical late 80s-early 90s store inside.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I was at that Jackson Albertsons at a very young age in the late 80s and they were using the Safeway carts with Safeway logos on the side(s). I found it very odd.

As I recall, deli was in one front corner and pharmacy was in the other front corner. This was the first time I saw a pharmacy in an Albertsons.

I recall visiting a Safeway with a similar layout a few years later in Federal Way, WA.