Signs of trouble at Target?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Signs of trouble at Target?

Post by storewanderer »

I got the impression that performance improved on these struggling small/medium market type Target Stores during COVID.
Super S

Post by Super S »

pegers wrote: January 12th, 2024, 10:33 pm The anomalies at my local Kelso, WA Target raised concerns during my visit. The service desk's relocation to express lanes with lights turned off appeared unusual, prompting speculation about potential business challenges. The store's outdated features, including older lighting fixtures and colored neon, contrast with modernized counterparts in neighboring areas. Nearby competition from two Walmart Supercenters, a Fred Meyer, and a Safeway, combined with the Three Rivers Mall's struggles, further complicate the situation. Questions about a delayed remodel, possibly due to declining business, potential mall redevelopment, or even store closure, arose. Despite a 2002-2003 remodel, the store's overall dated appearance and peculiar service desk setup fueled uncertainty about its future.
The above post sounds a bit dated. The Kelso store did get updated, see my post below from 2020:
Super S wrote: February 6th, 2020, 11:31 am A little update about the Kelso store that prompted this thread.

Over the last couple months all of the exterior signage was updated, the lower case logo now appears on the north side of the building, while the front was painted red and now just has a giant white bullseye above the doors.

More importantly, a remodel has begun as many containers have moved to the site, and a large tent has also been moved to the parking lot.

How thorough this remodel will be remains to be seen, but it is worth noting that Fred Meyer and Walmart have both remodeled recently. It is also worth noting that this store is located next to the struggling Three Rivers Mall. This location had been giving off mixed signals about its future over the last few years, and I wonder if the remodel might spark an interest in redeveloping the mall.

I think it's now safe to say that this store will not be closing any time soon.
The Kelso store is a bit smaller and does feel a bit more cramped than many around Vancouver/Portland, but is up to date with current lighting, and I have not seen them using the checkstands as the service desk in quite some time.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: January 13th, 2024, 1:12 pm
pegers wrote: January 12th, 2024, 10:33 pm The anomalies at my local Kelso, WA Target raised concerns during my visit. The service desk's relocation to express lanes with lights turned off appeared unusual, prompting speculation about potential business challenges. The store's outdated features, including older lighting fixtures and colored neon, contrast with modernized counterparts in neighboring areas. Nearby competition from two Walmart Supercenters, a Fred Meyer, and a Safeway, combined with the Three Rivers Mall's struggles, further complicate the situation. Questions about a delayed remodel, possibly due to declining business, potential mall redevelopment, or even store closure, arose. Despite a 2002-2003 remodel, the store's overall dated appearance and peculiar service desk setup fueled uncertainty about its future.
The above post sounds a bit dated. The Kelso store did get updated, see my post below from 2020:
Super S wrote: February 6th, 2020, 11:31 am A little update about the Kelso store that prompted this thread.

Over the last couple months all of the exterior signage was updated, the lower case logo now appears on the north side of the building, while the front was painted red and now just has a giant white bullseye above the doors.

More importantly, a remodel has begun as many containers have moved to the site, and a large tent has also been moved to the parking lot.

How thorough this remodel will be remains to be seen, but it is worth noting that Fred Meyer and Walmart have both remodeled recently. It is also worth noting that this store is located next to the struggling Three Rivers Mall. This location had been giving off mixed signals about its future over the last few years, and I wonder if the remodel might spark an interest in redeveloping the mall.

I think it's now safe to say that this store will not be closing any time soon.
The Kelso store is a bit smaller and does feel a bit more cramped than many around Vancouver/Portland, but is up to date with current lighting, and I have not seen them using the checkstands as the service desk in quite some time.
The Kelso store was built while I worked for them. It was their small town format. Bend has a nearly identical store. It was a dumb ordeal to begin with. They figured they could save on construction costs and align the store size with a lower level of sales volume but what you end up with is a Target store missing many of the features you expect, probably negatively impacting sales.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

babs wrote: January 13th, 2024, 5:29 pm The Kelso store was built while I worked for them. It was their small town format. Bend has a nearly identical store. It was a dumb ordeal to begin with. They figured they could save on construction costs and align the store size with a lower level of sales volume but what you end up with is a Target store missing many of the features you expect, probably negatively impacting sales.
Sounds like Idaho Falls. Only store for hundreds of miles (kind of like Bend) and stayed that way until Jackson, WY revision of former KMart. No pharmacy. Relatively OK otherwise, held on to the late 1990s neon and department signs longer than most. Was renovated into the current-ish format with a Starbucks and no more Food Avenue (was the basic one, no Pizza Hut or anything like that) but still no pharmacy, small food department. I think photo and customer service were combined as well? Now has 24 drive up spaces like the much larger store near Washington Square Mall in Oregon.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think Target is finally making good progress trying to fix the Reno Store. It looks more stocked than I've seen it in a couple years. The store is neater as well. Still some areas with problems but a lot fewer areas than before. It appears they kept extra labor after Christmas to make this happen.