Minyard Sun Fresh Markert (former Albertsons) photo

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Minyard Sun Fresh Markert (former Albertsons) photo

Post by arizonaguy »

architect wrote:
storewanderer wrote:I guess the more fair comparison would be to compare traffic at this store to the traffic Albertsons had and traffic at this store to the traffic Minyard had. I am going to assume the current traffic level is similar to what Albertsons was doing and probably double what Minyard was doing. Since it sounds like they did not change a whole lot in the store and maybe the size of the store is causing mix issues where people come in and due to the small size store, the mix isn't what they expect from Kroger. The self checkouts are missing and now there are lines at checkout. I can see why this store is hindered.

I have seen in some smaller Safeway locations they installed 3 very small self checkouts to take up a space about the same as one regular conveyor belt checkstand. This may be a good option in this store.
Actually, this store was a Tom Thumb before being sold to Minyard. As a Tom Thumb, this store likely started off well, considering that this intersection was the primary shopping area for West Plano in the late 80's-mid 90's. However, as the Dallas North Tollway was extended northward during the 90's, many of the big-box stores at Park/Preston moved further down Park Blvd. next to the Tollway (Target and Walmart both relocated from Park/Preston), and both Kroger and Tom Thumb built large stores nearby at Parker/Tollway. As a result, the shopping centers at Park/Preston evolved into a collection of higher-end, specialty shops. Due to all of the retail that has been developed along the Tollway in the last 15 years, there is simply more competition surrounding this store then when it first opened. Also, Market Street being located at the same intersection certainly doesn't help things. When the Minyard sale to Kroger was first announced, Minyard claimed that the store had been struggling as a Tom Thumb for several years before they acquired it. They attempted to turn things around, but simply didn't have the financial resources to do so, hence the sale to Kroger.

As far as the product mix goes, I have actually been somewhat impressed. During a recent visit, I purchased several high-end items which I have never seen in a DFW Kroger before. Overall, the biggest holdup at this location seems to be the facility itself. Although Kroger's decor changes look good, the store still feels old and dark due to the drop ceilings and awkward lighting (the perimeter lighting is still somewhat dim, and the bulbs on the Safeway center-store fixtures don't match the color tone of those used on the perimeter at all). Overall, it is a nice store, but there just simply isn't enough to set it apart from other mainstream grocers in a heavily competitive submarket.
Kroger divisions can do well with stores that feel old and dark in a competitive market.

Fry's has several dozen in the Phoenix area that were either:

a.) ex-Smitty's built in the 1970s and 1980s that, while large in terms of square footage, have drop ceilings or "squared" ceilings that feel very old and dark
b.) original built Fry's stores built in the 1980s and early 1990s that have some of the lowest ceilings I've ever seen in a supermarket. These stores are also very wide (on an "x" axis and narrow on a "y" axis).
c.) a really awful late 1990s early 2000s store design that has drop ceilings, odd entrance layouts, and still feel small even though they're 50,000 square feet.

In terms of store design, everyone else in the market (with the potential exception of some Bashas' stores) has nicer looking stores architecturally yet Fry's (with these stores making up a significant amount of its store base) is #1 in the market. Their late 2000s - present stores do blow everyone else's stores away though (but there's really not a lot of these stores yet). Their ex-Smiths stores also tend to be a bit better designed than the 3 groups above.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

I may have stumbled into another former Tom Thumb turned Kroger based on this same prototype. In Bedford, there is a Kroger at 2109 Harwood which has a similar interior to the Park/Preston store, with the ceiling sloping down at the perimeter departments, and also exterior brickwork that closely matches what Tom Thumb typically used prior to the Randalls acquisition. This store was first built in 1987, but I cannot find any proof that it was a Tom Thumb, or originally opened as a Kroger that just looks similar to a Tom Thumb from the same time period. Curiously, there is another former Tom Thumb nearby at 3300 Harwood which was divested to Minyard Sun Fresh (which apparently has since closed). If this was a Tom Thumb, it does seem odd to have two locations so close to one another.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote:I may have stumbled into another former Tom Thumb turned Kroger based on this same prototype. In Bedford, there is a Kroger at 2109 Harwood which has a similar interior to the Park/Preston store, with the ceiling sloping down at the perimeter departments, and also exterior brickwork that closely matches what Tom Thumb typically used prior to the Randalls acquisition. This store was first built in 1987, but I cannot find any proof that it was a Tom Thumb, or originally opened as a Kroger that just looks similar to a Tom Thumb from the same time period. Curiously, there is another former Tom Thumb nearby at 3300 Harwood which was divested to Minyard Sun Fresh (which apparently has since closed). If this was a Tom Thumb, it does seem odd to have two locations so close to one another.
The 3300 Harwood store is still open as far as I know as a Sun Fresh. I know Yelp says it's closed, but it's closed as a Tom Thumb, not closed for good. It could very be well a Tom Thumb in the other location you mention, the NorthPark store (not in the mall, across the street) co-exists with a larger one a mile away down the freeway.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:
architect wrote:I may have stumbled into another former Tom Thumb turned Kroger based on this same prototype. In Bedford, there is a Kroger at 2109 Harwood which has a similar interior to the Park/Preston store, with the ceiling sloping down at the perimeter departments, and also exterior brickwork that closely matches what Tom Thumb typically used prior to the Randalls acquisition. This store was first built in 1987, but I cannot find any proof that it was a Tom Thumb, or originally opened as a Kroger that just looks similar to a Tom Thumb from the same time period. Curiously, there is another former Tom Thumb nearby at 3300 Harwood which was divested to Minyard Sun Fresh (which apparently has since closed). If this was a Tom Thumb, it does seem odd to have two locations so close to one another.
The 3300 Harwood store is still open as far as I know as a Sun Fresh. I know Yelp says it's closed, but it's closed as a Tom Thumb, not closed for good. It could very be well a Tom Thumb in the other location you mention, the NorthPark store (not in the mall, across the street) co-exists with a larger one a mile away down the freeway.
Actually, the 3300 Harwood store is officially closed (I drove by it earlier); according to a Google review, they began liquidation on the 17th and were scheduled to close by the end of the month. Honestly, that location was terrible for an overpriced also-ran grocery store such as Minyard Sun Fresh. It is sandwiched by a Kroger to the west on Harwood, both Kroger and Albertsons to the east on Harwood, and Walmart, SuperTarget, Albertsons, another Minyard Sun Fresh, and a potential HEB site to the north along 121 before even reaching the 114 juncture.

And I definitely agree that Tom Thumb has a history of placing locations extremely close together, often so close that they would seemingly cannibalize each other. The Northwest Highway store you mentioned is especially interesting, as there are current/former Tom Thumbs nearby in all four directions (a highly successful store at Lovers/Greenville, a small neighborhood-oriented store with plans to replace with larger facility at Preston Center, a former Simon David/Tom Thumb at Skillman/Abrams, and an dumpy location at Meadow/75. In addition, there are also Tom Thumbs within a few miles at Lovers/Hillcrest, Preston/Royal, Preston/Forest, Inwood/University, and Mockingbird/Abrams. This concentration of stores is likely what kept the division afloat under Safeway's leadership, as this part of Dallas is particularly difficult to enter for competition due to sky high real estate prices. Kroger is the runner-up by store count in this area, and their only stores are at Mockingbird/Greenville along with two in the Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs area. A similar situation exists in Far North Dallas in the area bounded by 635, 75, the Tollway, and the Bush Turnpike. In this area, Tom Thumb has 5 (formerly 6) stores, while Kroger has 2.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Wow, another Minyard closed? That's maybe a full quarter of the 12 stores they've acquired they've sold or closed. Of the 12, the only one that seems to be pretty good is the Uptown store, and they've added stuff to it (like a growler station).
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:Wow, another Minyard closed? That's maybe a full quarter of the 12 stores they've acquired they've sold or closed. Of the 12, the only one that seems to be pretty good is the Uptown store, and they've added stuff to it (like a growler station).
Considering the remaining store locations, I expect that this is not the end of store closures. The McKinney location has constantly slow traffic, and is very isolated from the remaining store base after the closure of the Plano store. The Forest Lane store in Dallas is also pulling low volume, and is rumored to close. It will be interesting to see if Minyard tries to unload the remaining successful stores if this pattern of closures continues. As a whole, I would conclude that this rebranding experiment has been a failure.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

No different than Haggen. Interesting AWG/Minyard has kept it going for almost a full year now...

And what will happen to that Uptown store when the new Tom Thumb opens?
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

We may have had another Minyard casualty...7007 Arapaho Road. The website still lists it but Google searches are turning up Goodwill sometimes. Fits with the MO. :roll:
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:We may have had another Minyard casualty...7007 Arapaho Road. The website still lists it but Google searches are turning up Goodwill sometimes. Fits with the MO. :roll:
As of a couple of days ago, this store was still open (I pass by it at least every week or so, I live not far from it). The Goodwill search results likely stem from the fact that there is a Goodwill Donation Center in the side parking lot of the store. Despite all of the competition nearby, this Minyard Sun Fresh seems to pull a decent amount of business. The physical condition of the store is somewhat poor due to the fact that Albertsons invested very little into maintenance prior to divestiture; which Minyard has at least improved on with a new decor package. Speaking of, I wonder if we will see any of the former Tom Thumb locations receive new Sun Fresh decor? So far, it has just appeared in the former Albertsons locations.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Speaking of Minyard Sun Fresh casualties, it appears that we may have another one. The Roanoke store (another former Albertsons) is no longer listed on their website or in their latest weekly ad. Honestly, I am not surprised by its closing, as it's location far away from the rest of Minyard's store base would make it difficult to service effectively unless if it was high volume. I am surprised that Kroger has not attempted to pick up this store or the former Rowlett store as both stores are far from any current Kroger locations. Maybe Albertsons put a lease restriction in place for these sites which prohibits another competitor from opening there?