Ralphs Fresh Fare Westwood Village Grand Reopening 9/18 (Now the Largest Ralphs)

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Ralphs Fresh Fare Westwood Village Grand Reopening 9/18 (Now the Largest Ralphs)

Post by CalItalian »

They started construction yesterday. They removed the service juice bar next to produce (one end of the store) and removed the frozen yogurt/dessert bar/soda fountain area near Murray's Cheese on the other side of the store. I'm surprised they started during the holidays although UCLA students will be out for the next few weeks.
storewanderer

Re: Ralphs Fresh Fare Westwood Village Grand Reopening 9/18 (Now the Largest Ralphs)

Post by storewanderer »

I am curious about them dumbing down perimeters. These programs must have been real money losers for them to pull them out. I am not used to Kroger pulling out services, as long as it draws people to the store... maybe nobody was using these.

The Vons Juice Bars I saw were all dead, no customers, and didn't look to have many customers.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote:I am curious about them dumbing down perimeters. These programs must have been real money losers for them to pull them out. I am not used to Kroger pulling out services, as long as it draws people to the store... maybe nobody was using these.

The Vons Juice Bars I saw were all dead, no customers, and didn't look to have many customers.
I never saw anyone at the Ralphs Fresh Fare juice bar in Westwood Village. It had a prime location, too, between the set of older doors to the original Ralphs Fresh Fare that has occupied this former department store space since 2011 and the newer doors that use to lead into the Best Buy that is the expansion area of this Ralphs Fresh Fare that was added within the last 2 years. I believe this is where the floral department is moving. The current floral department, opposite the juice bar, is where the Wells Fargo Bank is going.

I had seen a few people in the back area using the self-serve frozen yogurt/drink bar and service desert area (also the La Brea bakery merchandise area that next to it was removed...and is now on a temporary display in the bakery area). I don't know what is going in this area but I'll ask one of the managers I know there when I see him. I'll take some photos, too, next time, of the construction.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The Vons in Pacific Beach installed its Albertsons Juice Bar in the front corner (where floral goes in the lifestyle stores) of the store facing into the store on the produce side.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

I added 6 photos on Yelp of the remodel that started last Monday, Dec. 13, 2016 that I took tonight. I hope this links correctly. Posted on the 6th page, last photos.
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ralphs- ... ?start=150
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Recently in South Lake Tahoe, someone was caught putting an unknown substance on a hot food/salad bar at Raleys and in the salsa bar at Baja Fresh.

I wonder if we will start to see some of these self serve food options going away due to this sort of risk. I don't think much of using self service food bars but incidents like the above make me stop and think...

Maybe there is some other solution but I don't know what it is. Some McDonalds locations in South Sacramento, CA area put locks on their iced tea urns at the drink bars because people were opening them up and tampering with the tea inside. At least that was the answer I got when I asked the question of one of the franchisees.

So in this Ralphs, the sushi bar and wine bar stayed?
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote:So in this Ralphs, the sushi bar and wine bar stayed?
Absolutely. The bar is very popular (especially after 3-7 pm). The sushi bar, which also serves alcohol, is as well (especially at lunch). The bar is just around the corner from the former juice bar. The sushi bar is on the north side of the store between Murray's Cheese and Boar's Head.