Fry's Marketplace expansion in Arizona

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Fry's Marketplace expansion in Arizona

Post by arizonaguy »

Kroger is currently in the process of planning and building several new 123,000 - 126,000 square foot Fry's Marketplace stores in the Phoenix and Tucson areas to open in 2016 and 2017. All are expected to have a fuel center.

Chandler:

SE Corner of Gilbert Rd & Ocotillo Rd

Litchfield Park:

NE Corner of Litchfield Rd & Camelback Rd

Mesa:

NW Corner of Signal Butte & Guadalupe Rd

Peoria:

NE Corner of Happy Valley Rd & Lake Pleasant Parkway

Phoenix:

SW Corner of Bell Rd & 14th St

NW Corner of Dove Valley Rd & North Valley Parkway

Tucson:

22nd St & Houghton Rd
storewanderer

Re: Fry's Marketplace expansion in Arizona

Post by storewanderer »

Looks like a good defensive move by Kroger to expand in Arizona before Albertsons/Safeway gets the idea to do some expanding...

I think the Bell one is going to be a relocation, I wonder about some of the others?
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote:Looks like a good defensive move by Kroger to expand in Arizona before Albertsons/Safeway gets the idea to do some expanding...

I think the Bell one is going to be a relocation, I wonder about some of the others?
The location at the SW Corner of Bell Rd & 14th St is a relocation.

I believe all of the other locations are new locations except for possibly the location in Tucson. That location is 1 mile away from an existing Fry's store. However, Frys has kept stores in the Arizona area open that are 1 mile away from one another (or less) so I can't tell at this time.

I believe it may be a combination of an offensive move against Walmart (to get to these areas first before Walmart builds a neighborhood market) as well as an offensive move against Albertsons/Safeway (as many of these stores have Albertsons and/or Safeway as the closest grocer).

Safeway significantly expanded its store base in the 2000s (most new developments built around that time have a Safeway store in them or nearby). However, since 2010 I don't believe Safeway has opened ANY new stores and the last Albertsons to open was in 2004 (I believe).
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The Marketplace stores are adding clothing Dept's....mostly name brands like Carhartt and Levi's.....it seems like the ghost of Smitty's has arisen (who was the original owner of many of the Marketplace sites)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think the Fred Meyer Marketplace Stores in Arizona had clothing during their brief life. Generating more sales out of clothing than furniture which is what seems to have been cut out to make space for this is not going to be difficult.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

There's another store in the works. It appears to be 124,000 square foot in size and also is targeted for a late 2016 / early 2017 opening.

Buckeye, AZ:

NW corner of Indian School and Jackrabbit
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The Indian School @ Jackrabbit site is the East entry to the planned community of Verrado. There is a small Bashas' and a CVS in the middle of Verrado
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Official announcement: http://www.newson6.com/story/31385880/f ... in-arizona

Details from the article. All of the stores below will have 2016 openings. There are some stores not mentioned in the article/press release (but are mentioned in posts above that appear set for 2017 openings):

Fry's Marketplace (Signal Butte & Guadalupe) – 2724 S. Signal Butte Rd. in Mesa. Scheduled opening: Summer 2016.
Fry's Marketplace (Bell & 14th St. – a new larger store that will replace the current Fry's Food Store located at 7th St. & Bell) – 1311 E. Bell Rd. in Phoenix. Scheduled opening: Summer 2016.
Fry's Marketplace (Camelback Rd. & Litchfield Rd.) – 13830 W. Camelback Rd. in Litchfield Park. Scheduled opening: Fall 2016.
Fry's Marketplace (Gilbert & Ocotillo) – 2929 E. Ocotillo Rd. in Chandler. Scheduled opening: Fall 2016.
Fry's Food Store (Valencia & Valley Indian Agency) – 1795 W. Valencia Rd. in Tucson. Store size: 102,375 sq. ft. Scheduled opening: Fall 2016.
Fry's Marketplace (Lake Pleasant & Happy Valley Rd.) – 25401 N. Lake Pleasant Parkway in Peoria. This store also will feature a Power Parasol (see below for details). Scheduled opening: Fall 2016.
Fry's Marketplace (North Valley Parkway) – 2800 W. Dove Valley Rd. in Phoenix. This store also will feature a Power Parasol (see below for details). Scheduled opening: Fall 2016.

*Fry's Marketplace stores are approximately 124,000 sq. ft.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

How many stores approximately does the Fry's division have?
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Knight wrote:How many stores approximately does the Fry's division have?
The Fry's division has 119 stores. Of those 119 stores, there are 23 current Marketplaces (several Marketplace stores over the years have been "downgraded" to regular Food and Drug stores).