Supervalu to sell Shop 'n Save

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
Bakeragr
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: Supervalu to sell Shop 'n Save

Post by Bakeragr »

I agree that Schnucks may have been the only bidder. Dierbergs, the other local operator, wouldn’t want that many stores. Kroger probably doesn’t want to explain to analysts why it would be buying so much real estate given its current Restock plan, and a format that is clearly a fixer-upper. Hy-Vee wouldn’t buy the operations outright because they are a non-union, employee-owned format. They don’t want to inherit the union employee contracts.
To me, it looks like Schnucks purchased most of the better locations that weren’t directly across the street from one of their own stores. However, several of these are extremely close to current Schnucks locations. I can guarantee that in 90% of the cases, the Schnucks store is in much better operating condition as well.
Schnucks has a perception in St. Louis of being more expensive than SNS, however I don’t think that’s the case any longer. SNS, like the Shoppers and Farm Fresh formats of Supervalu, have moved more traditional than the no-frills concept they originally started as. SNS stores have a strong center-store operation, however their deli and produce are not the quality that today’s shopper is looking for. The stores are very plain. They were the low-price leader until Walmart, Ruler(Kroger) and Aldi really made a big push in the last ten years.
I doubt that anyone will take most of the remaining stores to operate as traditional supermarkets. Schnucks purchased the ones on the Illinois side that Kroger might want. If Hy-Vee entered the market, it’d be in St. Charles County (NW part of the area) that is closest to their stores in Central MO. Schnucks picked up all of those too, I believe. Besides, I think Hy-Vee is focused on the Twin Cities at the moment.
It will be interesting to see how much money Schnucks will invest in these new stores. They’re going to need a lot of work to look like a Schnucks.
Bakeragr
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by Bakeragr »

I guess all of the remaining stores are just going to close between now and the end of the year:

More than 1,300 Shop 'n Save employees to be laid off when stores close this fall

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... af4d9.html

So 19 to Schnucks and then 14 are just closing up.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

The two Springfield, Illinois locations have Ocso pharmacies and interiors that resemble Colorful Lifestyle. One of them even has aisle signs that include street names. Here's a link.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: September 20th, 2018, 9:06 pm The two Springfield, Illinois locations have Ocso pharmacies and interiors that resemble Colorful Lifestyle. One of them even has aisle signs that include street names. Here's a link.
Springfield is a little confusing. Jewel Osco was there, but the 2 stores were briefly sold to Cerberus when Supervalu bought the rest of Albertsons (anti trust concerns I guess) and were quickly sold to a Supervalu customer who rebranded them to something else.

I wonder if the Shop N Saves were always Shop N Save or...?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: September 20th, 2018, 10:27 pm
rwsandiego wrote: September 20th, 2018, 9:06 pm The two Springfield, Illinois locations have Ocso pharmacies and interiors that resemble Colorful Lifestyle. One of them even has aisle signs that include street names. Here's a link.
Springfield is a little confusing. Jewel Osco was there, but the 2 stores were briefly sold to Cerberus when Supervalu bought the rest of Albertsons (anti trust concerns I guess) and were quickly sold to a Supervalu customer who rebranded them to something else.

I wonder if the Shop N Saves were always Shop N Save or...?
I was thinking the same thing. There were two Springfield Jewel-Oscos at the time of the Alberstons/SuperValu merger and both were sold to Neimann Foods. They still operate as "Country Market." However, it is possible that some of the Springfield Shop 'n'Save locations were Jewel-Osco stores that were sold by ASC to SuperValu when they sold off the Eisner-turned-Jewel stores. It is also possible that SuperValu called the pharmacies "Osco" for some bizarre reason and never changed the name.