Apple Market - Columbus, KS

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Apple Market - Columbus, KS

Post by storewanderer »

This store appears to be either an old Safeway or an old Dillons. The ceiling inside is a bit strange and reminds me of an old Dillons. The floor inside also looks rather identical to the floor in the still operating Dillons in Pittsburg, KS.

The building exterior has some remnant of another name below Apple Market which appears to be a family or person name: "HA..." Outside, this seemed like an old Safeway.

The store is larger inside than it looks on the outside and the back wall has a bakery/deli flat against the wall (this seems very Dillons) and the meat department (separated from deli entirely, with a decent sized deli prep area too) which makes me think this was not a Safeway unless some pretty heavy remodeling took place.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Apple Market - Columbus, KS

Post by wnetmacman »

My bet would be on Dillon's, if anything. It doesn't look very Safeway-ish to me. Safeway had certain elements on each store type, and none are present here.
storewanderer

Re: Apple Market - Columbus, KS

Post by storewanderer »

One thing that throws this as well is the sign post. It has two poles. Older Dillons often have a unique 3-pole sign (see Pittsburg, KS or Arkansas City, KS).

This may have been a similar model: long gone. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/nov/0 ... assachuse/