Kroger to outsource Drug Dept. to Walgreens in Knoxville, TN Market

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Kroger to outsource Drug Dept. to Walgreens in Knoxville, KY Market

Post by J-Man »

As far as I know, Knoxville is still in Tennessee. So the original title was correct, and this is still in the wrong forum.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Maybe the confusion was because their strategic partnership was started last year in Kentucky and then Knoxville, TN was added to it recently.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: August 24th, 2019, 6:00 pm Maybe the confusion was because their strategic partnership was started last year in Kentucky and then Knoxville, TN was added to it recently.
Newspaper article I read this in at first was some KY newspaper. Confusion indeed. I've never been to Knoxville but it looks like I was right the first time it is in TN.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Kroger to outsource Drug Dept. to Walgreens in Knoxville, TN Market

Post by buckguy »

Outsourcing the Rx might make more sense--it's not the profit center or traffic draw it once was and Walgreen could supply it more efficiently. OTOH, Walgreen private label health and beauty allows Kroger to have more private label merchandise in this part of the store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: August 25th, 2019, 10:31 am Outsourcing the Rx might make more sense--it's not the profit center or traffic draw it once was and Walgreen could supply it more efficiently. OTOH, Walgreen private label health and beauty allows Kroger to have more private label merchandise in this part of the store.
I'm not sure of this. I do agree about outsourcing pharmacy potentially making sense though. Kroger has a very vast private label line for the HBA/Drug category. I will also be curious to see how they handle the baby category, which Kroger has a ton of stuff and a ton of private label in. Far more than Walgreens and does significantly more volume with significantly lower prices.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The problem with outsourcing pharmacy is that Walgreens is notorious for not accepting certain insurances or some types of medicaid. This will result in the loss of customer traffic as people will be forced to go to other pharmacies such as Walmart which accepts practically any insurance.

Perhaps Kroger believes people will pay more for Walgreens branded products? They are trying to do anything to make a buck.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Didn't actually go in either one, but while in Knoxville a few weeks ago, noticed a Kroger with "Walgreens inside" or something along those lines on the main sign, and across the street, a Walgreens with "Kroger Express" inside.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: October 17th, 2019, 8:41 pm Didn't actually go in either one, but while in Knoxville a few weeks ago, noticed a Kroger with "Walgreens inside" or something along those lines on the main sign, and across the street, a Walgreens with "Kroger Express" inside.
Where was the location? Doesn't look like this is being advertised in Kroger print ads in that market yet, unless it is just a limited number of stores so far.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: October 19th, 2019, 12:30 am
pseudo3d wrote: October 17th, 2019, 8:41 pm Didn't actually go in either one, but while in Knoxville a few weeks ago, noticed a Kroger with "Walgreens inside" or something along those lines on the main sign, and across the street, a Walgreens with "Kroger Express" inside.
Where was the location? Doesn't look like this is being advertised in Kroger print ads in that market yet, unless it is just a limited number of stores so far.
The Kroger in question was at 9161 Middlebrook Pike with the Walgreens either across the street or a block away.