What now, SuperValu?

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: What now, SuperValu?

Post by jamcool »

When Kroger bought Fred Meyer, the Smith’s store in Prescott became Fry’s, who had a smaller store in that city. The smaller store was picked up by ABCO- its only store outside Metro Phoenix/Tucson. It didn’t stay open very long
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

jamcool wrote: April 9th, 2020, 11:15 am When Kroger bought Fred Meyer, the Smith’s store in Prescott became Fry’s, who had a smaller store in that city. The smaller store was picked up by ABCO- its only store outside Metro Phoenix/Tucson. It didn’t stay open very long
That happened in a few locations.

I know that 40th St. / Thunderbird Rd in Phoenix was another situation where the Smith's became rebannered as a Fry's and the smaller Fry's store became a Bashas' which closed shortly afterwards and is now a Goodwill.

The vast majority of former Smith's / Smitty's / Fry's stores (closed after that 3 way combination) are seeing non-grocery uses.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: April 8th, 2020, 8:36 pm I didn't even recall Rainbow was in NM (Las Cruces?).
Yes, Rainbow was in Las Cruces. Fleming also had Rainbow stores in Lubbock, Amarillo, and Dallas. I don't know about what happened to those stores after Fleming went bankrupt, and I don't know who Fleming got those stores from.

As for the MN Rainbows, Albertsons did make a buyout offer in 2000 (this was before Rainbow expanded to NM/TX), but the deal never happened as ABS was dealing with the Lucky troubles.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 9th, 2020, 3:18 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 8th, 2020, 8:36 pm I didn't even recall Rainbow was in NM (Las Cruces?).
Yes, Rainbow was in Las Cruces. Fleming also had Rainbow stores in Lubbock, Amarillo, and Dallas. I don't know about what happened to those stores after Fleming went bankrupt, and I don't know who Fleming got those stores from.

As for the MN Rainbows, Albertsons did make a buyout offer in 2000 (this was before Rainbow expanded to NM/TX), but the deal never happened as ABS was dealing with the Lucky troubles.
I think the Dallas Rainbows were purchased from Brookshire. My memory may be off. I don't think they were open much more than a year. I wonder if Brookshire had purchased them from someone else?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... -spun-unfi

Spun off headline made it sound like Supervalu/UNFI would no longer be controlling the chains...

However within the article it sounds like they will still be in control... sounds more like they are just separating operations.

Also they now say they will put off the sale-leaseback transactions in the Cub Stores for 24 months.

Also Cub and Shoppers will now be considered "continuing operations" for financial statement purposes of UNFI rather than "discontinued operations." That is not a "spin off" as the headline describes.

I am guessing UNFI cannot get a deal for Cub that includes them continuing as the supplier for Cub. So they will drag their feet until they get that. Meanwhile every time Hy Vee opens a new store in MSP, Cub will bleed more share and lose more value. Hy Vee is about the toughest competitor you can go up against. Cub seems to be run okay (radically better than Supervalu ran Albertsons) it is just that Hy Vee offers so much more in its stores.