Save Mart "temporary closure" Reno, NV Keystone Ave.

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Save Mart "temporary closure" Reno, NV Keystone Ave.

Post by storewanderer »

I see this Save Mart is temporarily closed. Upon further examination, it appears something went wrong with the roof. It will be interesting to see what happens here. All of the inventory is still sitting inside. This is a leased store.

This store is an old marina shaped Albertsons that was expanded on both sides in about 1997. The store is a real dump due to its age and wear, and I don't think it is terribly high volume. Save Mart did work really hard last year to clean the store up as best as they could after the conditions in the place really hit rock bottom. It isn't in the best part of town by any stretch, but does serve a purpose. It probably would work better as a Smart & Final or Food Maxx or even Grocery Outlet/Big Lots split.
storewanderer

Re: Save Mart "temporary closure" Reno, NV Keystone Ave.

Post by storewanderer »

The store reopened today. They repaired but didn't do any remodel or anything surprising.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

I hate to sound this way, but with a name like "Save Mart" I'm not expecting much more than cleanliness and product that has not expired or spoiled. Given they closed the store temporarily, I'm wondering if they were staying one step ahead of the local health department and/or there was a risk that the "roof issues" might pose a threat to the health and safety of their employees and customers.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

rwsandiego wrote: April 13th, 2019, 10:14 am I hate to sound this way, but with a name like "Save Mart" I'm not expecting much more than cleanliness and product that has not expired or spoiled. Given they closed the store temporarily, I'm wondering if they were staying one step ahead of the local health department and/or there was a risk that the "roof issues" might pose a threat to the health and safety of their employees and customers.
Makes sense - similar to the cheaper closeout type stores it would be logical that they only do what is absolutely needed to make things work, none of the "decorative" type renovations that most stores do just to make it look different.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: April 13th, 2019, 10:14 am I hate to sound this way, but with a name like "Save Mart" I'm not expecting much more than cleanliness and product that has not expired or spoiled. Given they closed the store temporarily, I'm wondering if they were staying one step ahead of the local health department and/or there was a risk that the "roof issues" might pose a threat to the health and safety of their employees and customers.
The way the situation went is part of the roof literally blew off. This is an old Marina Albertsons building from the early 70's. We had very heavy winds here, and there was probably some snow accumulation on the roof also.