Albertsons North Texas closing 4 stores

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
cedar post

Re: Albertsons North Texas closing 4 stores

Post by cedar post »

Randalls is dead man walking. Tom Thumb in DFW soon to follow. Pretty sad when a company, Randalls, has to close it warehouse Pretty sad in DFW when the local headquarters located on the second floor of a store has to close. Here you had management preaching how to run stores yet the store right beneath their feet close. Note: they had to walk in through this store to get to the cozy offices.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

cedar post wrote: February 13th, 2019, 7:16 pm Randalls is dead man walking. Tom Thumb in DFW soon to follow. Pretty sad when a company, Randalls, has to close it warehouse Pretty sad in DFW when the local headquarters located on the second floor of a store has to close. Here you had management preaching how to run stores yet the store right beneath their feet close. Note: they had to walk in through this store to get to the cozy offices.
Are you referring to the old Dallas headquarters store at Skillman and Abrams? If so, that location closed more due to demographic changes in the area (the apartments to the west are predominantly refugees and the store was located on the wrong side of the road to target evening traffic into Lake Highlands). This store also hadn't seen capital investment in years, so it likely just made more sense to close it outright vs updating it with it's future sales potential still uncertain. It would actually not surprise me to see the same result at the store further up Skillman near 635, as it is also located near some extremely seedy apartments to the north/along Skillman and seemingly fails to attract shoppers from the much nicer neighborhoods to the south in the core of Lake Highlands.

Overall, I do share your sentiment however. Both chains are clearly being underinvested in compared to other markets around the country. Could anyone see a scenario where Albertsons simply decides to sell off the Texas/Louisiana stores as a package deal?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think sometimes stores have their "offices" in what is not the best store anymore (maybe it was at some point in time). I was in a Raleys tonight in Reno at 7th and Keystone. Behind the store is an office building owned by Raleys and that is their Nevada Office where they base various management.

The store is pretty old, but is filthy inside (floors especially around dairy), bakery and deli are routinely very understocked, and center store is merchandised terribly with a couple aisles just "space filled" with drinks and paper products instead of actual merchandise. The store hasn't been remodeled in 20+ years and really needs help. The condition of the store on cleanliness and the fresh departments has actually really deteriorated seriously in the past six months or so; it used to be clean and well stocked, just old looking. It is still staffed properly, which is consistent with Raleys other operations.

With that said, I have said it before, Albertsons should just close up the Tom Thumb/Albertsons division in TX entirely and turn over all operations to United. Upgrade the better stores to Market Street. If they don't want to do all that, they should at least entertain the idea of using United's pricing program in the Tom Thumb/Albertsons banner stores. If HEB ever gets even halfway serious about Dallas, I think we all know what will happen, and in that case it may not even matter if it is United running the show or the existing division.