Smart & Final Extra

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Smart & Final Extra

Post by veteran+ »

I don't think they know what they are anymore and I don 't think customers know either.

Knowing their expertise was for restaurants I still tried to give them a chance and explore.

I bought NOTHING:

Too many large sized products.

Variety was a joke and scant selections of anything healthful.

Fresh stuff? pedestrian at best and produce was not up to my standards.

Pricing was way over on most items I would buy which I was comparing to Ralphs.

Everything else was sub par but not awful so why would most customers bother? Perhaps to search for the items that beat Ralphs or barely matches Walmart and F4L?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: January 5th, 2020, 8:40 am I don't think they know what they are anymore and I don 't think customers know either.

Knowing their expertise was for restaurants I still tried to give them a chance and explore.

I bought NOTHING:

Too many large sized products.

Variety was a joke and scant selections of anything healthful.

Fresh stuff? pedestrian at best and produce was not up to my standards.

Pricing was way over on most items I would buy which I was comparing to Ralphs.

Everything else was sub par but not awful so why would most customers bother? Perhaps to search for the items that beat Ralphs or barely matches Walmart and F4L?
S&F did retain the old "Sun Harvest" private label for Natural/Organic when they sold off Henry's. I notice they still have a few random items in that label. Not really sure what. They would probably be better off to contract with Supervalu (I mean UNFI) and sell Wild Harvest items like Rite Aid is attempting to do.

I also find their dairy program to be particularly poor in assortment, presentation, item arrangement, and in-stock condition. They have a way lower gallon milk price than anyone (except their sister chain Cash & Carry) in my market but the awful overall merchandising of the department is a real turn off.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: January 4th, 2020, 11:51 pm Do they even have any stores anymore that are not badged Extra? Even the little 14k square foot store in Bishop has been badged Extra for years now. All the ones I know of have converted to the Extra format...
There are still quite a few in Los Angeles. Here are a few near my office.

Beverly Blvd. & Benton Way
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Smart ... 18.2783312

Pico Blvd. & Hobart Blvd.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0472025 ... 384!8i8192

Crenshaw Blvd. & 30th St.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0283503 ... 384!8i8192
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

There are several "regular" Smart and Final stores in San Diego. Here in Phoenix, all but one of their stores are "Extra!" stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

So, it looks like they still have standard format Smart & FInal in places where they do not have Cash & Carry.

I wonder what the real difference is between a standard format Smart & Final and the "Extra" stores. Looking at some photos, it appears the "Extra" is larger and has more loose produce, more small size items, etc.

I am surprised they have not converted more of those locations to Cash & Carry. Maybe it is a supply chain issue since Cash & Carry pulls from OR and/or WA and doesn't take stuff in DSD.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: January 5th, 2020, 10:57 pm So, it looks like they still have standard format Smart & FInal in places where they do not have Cash & Carry.

I wonder what the real difference is between a standard format Smart & Final and the "Extra" stores. Looking at some photos, it appears the "Extra" is larger and has more loose produce, more small size items, etc...
I've found the main differences to be in the fresh departments. The traditional S&F has a limited selection, larger packages, and skews to pre-packaged items like 3 lbs of broccoli florets or 5 lbs of oranges. Extra has a produce selection that more closely matches what you would find at a traditional supermarket. Meat is similar: S&F has more limited selection and larger packages while Extra has a grocery store assortment. I never shopped the Extra bakery so I can't comment.
storewanderer wrote: January 5th, 2020, 10:57 pmI am surprised they have not converted more of those locations to Cash & Carry. Maybe it is a supply chain issue since Cash & Carry pulls from OR and/or WA and doesn't take stuff in DSD.
Smart&Final is well-known in California, while Cash & Carry is not. I wouldn't change the Smart & Final name, but I would come up with a different name for the Extra stores. "SmartCo" would NOT be a name I'd recommend. :)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: January 6th, 2020, 8:08 pm
Smart&Final is well-known in California, while Cash & Carry is not. I wouldn't change the Smart & Final name, but I would come up with a different name for the Extra stores. "SmartCo" would NOT be a name I'd recommend. :)
Actually they did operate one store under the SmartCo name in California back when they were developing Colorado. It was later quietly converted to the Extra banner.

Cash & Carry does not even carry 5 pounds of oranges. They carry a 20 pound or 50 pound box or something like that. The only meat at Cash & Carry is "whole in the bag" stuff- nothing in foam or plastic tray style packages.

Smart & Final seems confused and has for quite some time. Who is their customer? Is it someone having a party at their house? Is it restaurants? Is it someone who lives by the store? Last year the Reno one had big signs up that appeared to be from the main office that said "BUY GIFT CARDS WITH YOUR CREDIT CARDS." What in the heck are they doing?

Cash & Carry is very clear: this is a restaurant format store. Individuals can go shop there, but there is zero effort in merchandising to cater to individual users. They open very early before it is light out and close before it gets dark.

The Reno Cash & Carry converted from Smart & Final. Cash & Carry basically only made two changes to the store: they installed two "walk in coolers" in the back. The first "walk in cooler" has produce. The second "walk in cooler" has dairy, meat, and deli. This part of the store when it was Smart & Final had glass door cases for refrigerated/frozen and a much smaller "walk in cooler" for some items. Frozen is the same as before and has the same "walk in cooler" as before as well.