Kroger closing Denison, TX

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Kroger closing Denison, TX

Post by storewanderer »

Looks like another "fringe" Kroger is closing in TX. I think this was the northern-most store. Looks like no fuel and no remodel in about 15 years and even then the remodel was mostly a wall job. It appears the store was fairly popular though. The store also appears reasonably well maintained, despite a small size and no self checkouts. I particularly like the vintage exterior and how they make good use of the extra awning space to offer some covered tables outside the entrance.

The Albertsons in Denison was probably just given another chance. What a run down and beat up looking store that is on the Google photos. The lighting is very interesting (at first glance I thought we may have something upscale), but once you get past the lighting and see the very beat up floor tiles, the perimeter department wall tiles from the mid 90's blue gray interior, the aisle hangers from a 1998 interior with the aisle designations from blue gray, and the combination of recycled department signs from a 1998 interior combined with some repainted blue gray wall letters, you realize that this old beat up Skaggs probably needed to meet the bulldozer a few years ago.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Kroger closing Denison, TX

Post by rwsandiego »

Looking at the Kroger and Albertsons pictures makes me wonder if there is a city ordinance mandating run-down grocery stores.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

storewanderer wrote: February 5th, 2019, 6:21 pm Looks like another "fringe" Kroger is closing in TX. I think this was the northern-most store. Looks like no fuel and no remodel in about 15 years and even then the remodel was mostly a wall job. It appears the store was fairly popular though. The store also appears reasonably well maintained, despite a small size and no self checkouts. I particularly like the vintage exterior and how they make good use of the extra awning space to offer some covered tables outside the entrance.
Exactly this. This store is 59 years old. That's pretty ancient, and it's pretty difficult, though not impossible to bring that up to more energy efficient standards. Kroger, though, won't do that. They'd rather close a popular store and alienate customers so they can save a buck or two. When the store would require that much investment, they would have to prove according to their own, unknown standards how to justify it. And I'm guessing the distance just outweighed the loss of revenue.
storewanderer wrote: February 5th, 2019, 6:21 pm The Albertsons in Denison was probably just given another chance. What a run down and beat up looking store that is on the Google photos. The lighting is very interesting (at first glance I thought we may have something upscale), but once you get past the lighting and see the very beat up floor tiles, the perimeter department wall tiles from the mid 90's blue gray interior, the aisle hangers from a 1998 interior with the aisle designations from blue gray, and the combination of recycled department signs from a 1998 interior combined with some repainted blue gray wall letters, you realize that this old beat up Skaggs probably needed to meet the bulldozer a few years ago.
The outside of this store hasn't changed since its Skaggs Alpha Beta days, which were quite limited. That interior just needs help. The lighting pattern makes me dizzy to look at, and I don't even live there to shop at that store. It's better situated than the Kroger, which residents were willing to go out of the way for. The Google Maps pictures say it all; the smaller old Kroger was more popular than the huge older Albertsons. And the Walmart out on 75 is the big winner.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

This photo suggests the Kroger has one of the latest decor sets and the concrete floors, but it's only one photo and perhaps it was mistagged with geo-location:
https://goo.gl/maps/joVh3XNegXC2
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

SamSpade wrote: February 7th, 2019, 10:08 pm This photo suggests the Kroger has one of the latest decor sets and the concrete floors, but it's only one photo and perhaps it was mistagged with geo-location:
https://goo.gl/maps/joVh3XNegXC2
That same photo seems to appear in almost all Google photos of every Kroger store I've ever looked up.