H-E-B expanding to West Texas

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
bm11k
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

H-E-B expanding to West Texas

Post by bm11k »

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... bock-store

Could this mean trouble for United/Market Street
storewanderer

Re: H-E-B expanding to West Texas

Post by storewanderer »

I think as long as Albertsons allows United/Market Street to stay independent, it will combat HEB well in its home markets.

If Albertsons starts trying to run United/Market Street in the Safeway like fashion they are running much of their chain in, it will not work out too well.

This is not to say United/Market Street has some kind of magic formula. Frankly, I don't think they are that great. But they have a much more reasonable pricing structure and much better local/regionalized merchandising than the usual Albertsons operation. They clearly understand their markets. It will be interesting to see them go up against HEB. Where else do they go up against HEB directly?
pseudo3d

Re: H-E-B expanding to West Texas

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: September 6th, 2019, 11:41 pm I think as long as Albertsons allows United/Market Street to stay independent, it will combat HEB well in its home markets.

If Albertsons starts trying to run United/Market Street in the Safeway like fashion they are running much of their chain in, it will not work out too well.

This is not to say United/Market Street has some kind of magic formula. Frankly, I don't think they are that great. But they have a much more reasonable pricing structure and much better local/regionalized merchandising than the usual Albertsons operation. They clearly understand their markets. It will be interesting to see them go up against HEB. Where else do they go up against HEB directly?
Midland/Odessa I believe. H-E-B has four stores, Albertsons Market/Market Street has 6. However, I believe this was from Albertsons itself that transferred over to United.