Smiths adds fuel to S. Reno NV Store

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Smiths adds fuel to S. Reno NV Store

Post by storewanderer »

Smiths has added a fuel station to the store that was built around 2005 in Reno (this is not the same store that was remodeled over the summer). The pumps were installed and pump toppers are up with sign inserts that say "Quality proCLEAN gasolines." No station name is on these signs but obviously that is a Conoco/66/76 phrase. The canopy is up and this station appears to be unbranded so I wonder how those sign inserts got there. Is Conoco still supporting Smiths Fuel Operations? I know until 2007 or 2008, many Smiths Fuel Stations were branded Conoco and I believe quite a few of the Loaf Jugs were also branded Conoco.

Also interesting is an option has been added to most (but not all) Shell stations in this market to redeem the 10cent per gallon Smiths Fuel Discount with $100 grocery purchase there either by way of swiping the loyalty card or entering phone number. There is no marketing of this happening beyond prompts on the Shell pump.
krogerclerk
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Re: Smiths adds fuel to S. Reno NV Store

Post by krogerclerk »

The advantages of Shell participating in the KR Fuel Rewards includes adding stations in areas where KR has difficulty adding fuel such as Ralphs and making fuel rewards available to KR customers when they are traveling to areas where KR has little or no presence. The Mid-South KMA (Louisville/Nashville) has added Shell stations to the network recently. Little advertising is being done, but they locations can be found in the KR website store locator under fuel locations. Most Shell's are clean decent ran stations with a good fuel quality reputation, so this is also a plus. Thus far, no such deal has been made with the Atlanta KMA and Shell, but KR has aggressively added fuel in the Atlanta KMA.

Additionally KR fuel points now are available at fuel centers company wide, barring any state or local laws that restrict them. Alabama for instance does not allow KR to sale fuel at a lower to cost to its customers with card than to customers without a KR Plus card. However, a 20 mile trip northeast to a Shell in Pulaski, TN and a KR customer can receive fuel discounts. While few would make the trip solely for the fuel savings, commuters and travelers to and from the Huntsville, AL area can receive fuel discounts that Alabama law denies Alabamans. The other set of Kroger stores in Alabama are in the Auburn-Opelika region along I-85 near the Georgia border were without fuel discounts, gas tends to be cheaper than in Alabama.

Adding fuel to one Smith's in Reno and a remodel to another indicates that KR has plans to stay put for the foreseeable future. This leaves one questionable location in Reno/Sparks and another in Carson City that have seen little investment from KR.
storewanderer

Re: Smiths adds fuel to S. Reno NV Store

Post by storewanderer »

This fuel station still isn't open yet but it has been sitting looking done now for a month. I can't tell what is going on with it.