Shiprock, NM City Market transferred to Bashas

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Shiprock, NM City Market transferred to Bashas

Post by storewanderer »

The City Market (Kroger) in Shiprock, NM is on tribal land and opened in 1986. Looking at the store it does not seem to have any decor package and aside from self checkouts I am not sure Kroger has spent any money on the store since 1986.

So I guess Kroger wanted out of this store and luckily Bashas was willing to take it over. Good for Bashas. This seems kind of far from their typical operating territory but I suppose it will work out for them. Bashas can run a truck from Chandler to Shiprock in 6 hours and there are other stores along the way, so that isn't too bad. The truck from Denver to Shiprock was 7+ hours so that is a bit far.

This will be the 9th store for Bashas on tribal land.

I am sure certain City Market programs like the promotional structure, Kroger private label, and the Chester chicken will be missed.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Shiprock, NM City Market transferred to Bashas

Post by jamcool »

Bashas’ also stores in Crownpoint, NM and Window Rock, AZ, which are relatively close to the Shiprock store so they are probably served by the same truck. I know the Dine’ stores feature larger deli and bakery departments and stock items such as livestock supplies.
storewanderer

Re: Shiprock, NM City Market transferred to Bashas

Post by storewanderer »

I find any growth out of Bashas to be very interesting after all of the closures they did while bankrupt. They certainly seem to have stabilized things.